Dad's Army Page 24

Quote: Davida @ 11th February 2018, 11:11 PM

Are there any good Welsh characters in it?

No, none at all.

Well that's a shame. But I suppose that's true of most shows. Good Welsh characters are a bit scarce.

... Although Walker does call Frazer "Taffy".

Had you put the dragon up, I'd have been more sold. I'm a known Welshophile. Are there any good Welsh characters in it?

Quote: Aaron @ 11th February 2018, 11:12 PM

No, none at all.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th February 2018, 11:28 PM

... Although Walker does call Frazer "Taffy".

Dear oh dear, neither of you remember Walker's sort of replacement Mr Cheeseman, look you?!?! Shame on both of you - as Welsh as Rarebit and who I thought very funny.

You'll enjoy him Davida :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th February 2018, 11:43 PM

Dear oh dear, neither of you remember Walker's sort of replacement Mr Cheeseman, look you?!?! Shame on both of you - as Welsh as Rarebit and who I thought very funny.

You'll enjoy him Davida :D

No, I do remember him. But the question was "are there any GOOD welsh characters in it?"

........"and who I thought very funny"

And he was.

Think I'll have to judge for myself on that.

Yeah well in my view Herc and I know we both genuinely love the sitcom but Cheeseman was an abomination after the subtlety of Walker, played to perfection by the great Jimmy Beck, possibly the most under lauded sitcom actor of all time imo. In rewatching them over the years it's clear that Walker and Wilson were the constant heroes in the stories and therefore integral to DA. I think they mainly alternated in the eps to take the cool headed fixer role after insane bungling by either Jones, Pike or Mainwaring got them into a pickle.

But Taffy's pronounced Boyo Welshness and general loudness jarred horribly with the laid back cleverness of Cockney Walker and I just wanted him to shut up. He was more like an intruder than a guest when he took Walker's place in the ranks although he was alright as the press reporter in guest roles when Walker was still there. But then he wasn't trying to take anyone's place.

It's probably a bit ironic that Beck as the second youngest actor was the only member to die while it was going because one or two looked decidedly near the precipice even at the start, especially Godfrey's actor who must have been a hundred when the show ended.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th February 2018, 11:43 PM

Dear oh dear, neither of you remember Walker's sort of replacement Mr Cheeseman, look you?!?!

We just spoke about him.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2018, 10:03 AM

We just spoke about him.

? :S

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th February 2018, 11:46 AM

? :S

Alfred's dislike of him is how the whole topic came up.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th February 2018, 10:47 PM

EnglandScotland Not putting the dragon up because I wasn't a big fan of Taffy, Walker was irreplaceable which Croft & Perry soon decided themselves and was better not being replaced.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2018, 11:48 AM

Alfred's dislike of him is how the whole topic came up.

Nothing like a disjointed thread. :S

He wasn't called Taffy, that's what Walker called Fraser.

Laughing out loud I don't know now if it's me or you who's lost the plot. I called Cheeseman Taffy because he is one whether they called him one or not. I doubt Walker did because he'd died of his corned beef allergy by then. I didn't really want to utter his miserable name tbh. Walker called Frazer Taffy as an ironic clever Cockney wide boy joke, he knew he was a Jock and I believe he called him that as well. Hope that cleared it up. :S :S

I'll give it a go. Can't just ignore such glowing reviews.

Well you couldn't have a much better ep to start with than the next one tbh, 20.30 our time Sat. If you can't watch when we do, ask Dabutt how he does it as he seems to have seen most of our shows before I have and I thought you lot were ten hours behind us. :S

It's one of the classics, Time On Our Hands, so if you don't like it then there's not much hope you'll like the others although there are definitely quieter and subtler eps if you prefer them. Jones does hog this one a bit to be fair and I know that irritates some. It is a cracker though.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th February 2018, 4:05 PM

And here I am, still watching the ongoing repeats on a Saturday night, despite having the complete box set which I waded through 10 years ago, AND am STILL enjoying them even after what? Watching each three or four times at least over the years.

If fact, I think I get more out of them each time of viewing as they are just so perfect. For me another classic like Hancock and The Goons in that I don't think I will ever tire of watching them.

Where perfect scripts come together with actors who are absolutely perfect in their parts, even the bit part players. Wonderful.

Me too. I've got the box set too.