Dad's Army Page 20

Was there a bit of "wink, wink, this is a young man dressed up" here?

Got the lot on DVDs but they never get watched because I like the way they keep turning up on TV and in no particular series order. In my mind there are a dozen or so stonking classic eps and for me these mostly centre around either Mainwaring or Jones or both and their bold acting style. But I'm constantly being amazed at how many excellent quieter eps there are like the mascot one and the one stranded on a pier the other week, much subtler, and I think earlier eps but almost as enjoyable. Walker and Wilson seem to shine more in these quieter ones.

I notice the smaller scenes lot more now, that petty little exchange about the spelling and the parade order was glorious. Petty jealousies and squabbling has surely never been done better in sitcoms. Mainwaring and Hodges are like two sides of the same coin. I hope they can get at least a glimmer of this across in the new film.

What you have summed up the Alfred is superb writing with actors perfectly cast, which makes for a classic sitcom that will never die and they can repeat forever as far as I am concerned.
I too have them all on a DVD set, which I started to watch in sequence a few years back, but now my Sat. night is not complete without watching one of the repeats. It's like the shuffle play you can get on a CD player; you never know what is coming next, which is brilliant. :D

"Boots, Boots, Boots" was last night's. Wilson blurts out that he didn't hear Frank wake up when his mother mentioned he was calling for her in the night, much to the consternation of Mavis.

"How can Uncle Arthur hear me when he lives so far away from us?"

He really is a stupid boy. :D

As with last week's "bird warbler"-episode Boots, Boots, Boots has several hilarious gags and scenes but does not click with me on the whole. Not one of my favourites.

Not one of mine either, but unmissable as always.

Great one tonight "Absent Friends" - the confusing conversation between Mainwaring and Jones was brill!

A good one today! Godfrey, Frazer, Pike and Jonesy in the lighthouse...I like Frazer's scary stories.

What time? Did I miss it?

No - in 10 minutes time.

Dad's Army, I love this sitcom because it is a period comedy. The characters are funny and really good. "You stupid boy", my favourite catchphrase from the show. Jones is probably my favourite character, has really funny moments. It is a shame some of the early episodes are wiped, but nothing you can do about it. Arthur Lowe is incredible as Mainwaring. I love the film too, the film is one of the best sitcom-film adaptations I have seen because most of them are poor.

I don't think any of them are wiped. I've supposedly got the complete box set.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th December 2015, 9:58 PM GMT

I don't think any of them are wiped. I've supposedly got the complete box set.

Three Series 2 episodes are currently missing, but radio adaptations of those episodes survive.

Thanks Boss for correcting me.

(At least it wasn't HGT)

Quote: Aaron @ 12th December 2015, 10:01 PM GMT

Three Series 2 episodes are currently missing, but radio adaptations of those episodes survive.

In the episode "The Battle Of Godfrey's Cottage" Hodges suddenly appears in the final scene without being mentioned in the scenes before. He's suddenly standing in living room, no one has opened the door. A very weird cut. Has anybody noticed this as well? I can't believe it's the original version of the episode, there must be some seconds missing.

I thought Hodges stole the show tonight in "Put that light out", and as for Jones..........mixed feelings. I think if I had been there I would have given him a good slap, the stupid old duffer.