Dad's Army Page 22

I was just reading an article on John Le Mesurier who was asked on his death bed about his life. He said 'it's all been rather nice'
And I love what he asked his obituary to say.

his most famous role arguably is the mild-mannered, aristocratic Sgt. Wilson in the British comedy series, Dad's Army, which ran from 1968 to 1977. Just before his death at age 71, he asked that his wife post this death notice in the newspaper: "John Le Mesurier wishes it to be known that he conked out on November 15th. He sadly misses his family and friends.

Quote: Ronald S @ 16th November 2016, 4:19 PM

I was just reading an article on John Le Mesurier who was asked on his death bed about his life. He said 'it's all been rather nice'
And I love what he asked his obituary to say.

Yes, the "conked out" obit is quite a famous one, along with Milligan's "I told you I was ill" that is on his tombstone, albeit in Irish so that the priest who objected to the sentiment wouldn't understand it and let it remain in the graveyard.

But coming back to Le Mez (as his friends called him Whistling nnocently) I have never seen anybody so laid back with his life and yet many psychiatrists will tell you that this is the thing to do - let life wash over you and not worry about a thing, which won't resolve "it" anyway.
And he had enough in his life to worry him what with both wives having blatant affairs right under his nose, which he seemed to accept as "that's life for you".
Lovely man. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th November 2016, 9:51 AM

But coming back to Le Mez (as his friends called him Whistling nnocently) I have never seen anybody so laid back with his life and yet many psychiatrists will tell you that this is the thing to do - let life wash over you and not worry about a thing, which won't resolve "it" anyway.
And he had enough in his life to worry him what with both wives having blatant affairs right under his nose, which he seemed to accept as "that's life for you".
Lovely man. :)

:) Nothing to add.

Oh dear, :( I did mean to mention this before, but Dad's Army last Saturday was the final episode** and so I presume it will be the last of the repeats..............for now.

I will have to get my box set out as my Saturday nights will not be the same without Capt. Mainwaring and his motley crew.

** It was all about marriage of course and I won't say who to whom just in case someone has been living on Neptune and hadn't seen the whole series, and it did have one very big laugh when Mainwaring was telling Wilson about how his wife Elizabeth had married beneath her status and he was proudly saying that before she met him she'd never heard of or used tomato ketchup.....................................
Wilson: "Marrying you must have opened up a whole new world for her" Laughing out loud

Brilliant!

Don't you get tired of watching those young 'un's in Dad's Army -- you know, Frazer, Godfrey, etc. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th December 2016, 11:38 AM

Oh dear, :( I did mean to mention this before, but Dad's Army last Saturday was the final episode** and so I presume it will be the last of the repeats..............for now.

I will have to get my box set out as my Saturday nights will not be the same without Capt. Mainwaring and his motley crew.

Have no fear - keep that box set in its wrappers. Episodes on BBC2 over Christmas include:

18:25 Saturday 17th
19:00 Christmas Eve
20:00 Christmas Day
18:50 Boxing Day
19:00 Tuesday 27th
18.50 & 19:25 New Year's Day

And "We're Doomed - the Dad's Army Story" at 19:00 on Monday 19 December.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th December 2016, 4:29 PM

Have no fear - keep that box set in its wrappers. Episodes on BBC2 over Christmas include:

18:25 Saturday 17th
19:00 Christmas Eve
20:00 Christmas Day
18:50 Boxing Day
19:00 Tuesday 27th
19:25 New Year's Day

It's showing the turkey dinner episode, and in the TV guide I have, it say's that episode is a special Christmas episode when describing it.

But I never thought that was a Christmas episode, apart from them having a turkey dinner, I don't remember any reference to Christmas in the episode.

But I suppose it is the closest to a Christmas episode, just because of the turkey dinner.

Quote: whatkindoffoolami @ 14th December 2016, 7:21 PM

It's showing the turkey dinner episode, and in the TV guide I have, it say's that episode is a special Christmas episode when describing it.

But I never thought that was a Christmas episode, apart from them having a turkey dinner, I don't remember any reference to Christmas in the episode.

But I suppose it is the closest to a Christmas episode, just because of the turkey dinner.

Well it was first broadcast on 23 December 1974, which I suppose makes it a Christmas episode by timing if nothing else.

Of course, not all sitcom Christmas specials necessarily have a seasonal theme - eg Miami Twice & Jolly Boys' Outing (OFAH) and One Foot in the Algarve. At least this one, as you say, does have a turkey dinner to reinforce the Christmas aspect.

All the better if it has no Christmas theme. Most Christmas specials are dire.

Yes, "Christmas" and "Special" when put together always seem to cancel each other out.

Hmmm, with the Beeb showing the last and first episodes on consecutive weeks it made me notice an anomaly, which had never occurred to me before......................

In the very first episode Wilson says that he was a sergeant in the First World War, BUT in the final one he says (and wears the uniform at the wedding) he was a captain - modesty in the first instance? I don't think so; I think more the script writers had completely forgotten what they had written some 9 years previous, which is understandable.

Just as a footnote - that first episode had for me one of the funniest sight gags ever, which has me in hysterics every time without fail, and that is when Jones comes to sign up and signs the desk instead of the piece of paper. It's treated so fleetingly with no great build up, which makes it even more brilliant.................... Laughing out loud

Maybe they did forget but it goes to show you need to prepare character biogs at the start.

It's escapism, Chappers. It's based in a church hall with only three walls, no man nor beast has seen Mrs Manwaring, there's a war going on and no one dies, need I go on?

Maybe so, but they don't like it up 'em..

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th December 2016, 3:01 PM

.................and no one dies..............

Mr. Blewitt's brother did. :( Allegedly over some of Jones' meat he was sold. Laughing out loud