Doctor Who... Page 951

Guess WHO?

William Hartnell.
Have you ever thought of becoming an Engineer?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 12 2013, 12:15 AM BST

A good level of visual perception is inherently better than a bad level of visual perception. That's why the Raft of the Medusa is hanging in the Louvre and not one of your drawings Bill.

Shrug:
A good level of <anything> is inherently better than a bad level of <the same thing>. By definition, so what, that's a daft argument.

>That's why the Raft of the Medusa is hanging in the Louvre and not one of your drawings Bill

So what? Why would I ever want to paint something like Raft of Medusa, it's not my thing. It doesn't make the painter "inherently better" than me.

On the other hand, my software ran the 18 test machines at MK Electric Product Test Centre 24 hours a day 7 days a week for over twenty years. A variant of that software ran a fruit warehouse containing about £2,000,000 worth of fruit for 8 years non-stop. If Théodore Géricault (the painter) had lived nowadays do you think he could have written those softwares, alone as I did?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 12 2013, 12:15 AM BST

Engineers and programmers but probably not scientists or philosophers. Miroslav Holub - one of the best poets of the last fifty years worked as an immunologist and produced original research and Georg Büchner who wrote the best known expressionist play Woyzeck also famously wrote a treatise on cranial nerves.

Notice all your examples are wordsmiths, not visual arts persons. My comment was that visual designers probably did not make good scientists.

Quote: billwill @ April 12 2013, 2:45 AM BST

Shrug:
A good level of <anything> is inherently better than a bad level of <the same thing>. By definition, so what, that's a daft argument.

You seem to want to have a pop at me in posts lately Bill, for some reason. I can't think why.

>That's why the Raft of the Medusa is hanging in the Louvre and not one of your drawings Bill

So what? Why would I ever want to paint something like Raft of Medusa, it's not my thing. It doesn't make the painter "inherently better" than me.

Not your thing? Laughing out loud You can't f**king paint. And not many people can paint as well as Theodore Gérricault.

He's better than you at painting and visualising reality. That doesn't make him somehow more valuable than you or more valid as a person, no. But it is not the case than you look at reality the same way. He sees the world with more depth and more visual knowledge than you.

If you feel bad about that consider that your knowledge of maths and logic enables you to create computer programs that are way beyond what most people can do.

Both Gérricault and BillWill are necessary to create a rich and sustaining world.

On the other hand, my software ran the 18 test machines at MK Electric Product Test Centre 24 hours a day 7 days a week for over twenty years. A variant of that software ran a fruit warehouse containing about £2,000,000 worth of fruit for 8 years non-stop.

A considerable achievement that you are rightly proud of.

If Théodore Géricault (the painter) had lived nowadays do you think he could have written those softwares, alone as I did?

No. Even after training I don't think he could. I trained as a painter and I write HTML and CSS. That's my limit. If I could I would learn Javascript and PHP and maybe a whole lot else.

You don't get many artists/designers who write code for reasons you alluded to in an earlier post.

Notice all your examples are wordsmiths, not visual arts persons. My comment was that visual designers probably did not make good scientists.

You're out of your depth Bill. Poetry and Plays are visual art forms for reasons that are too lengthy to go into. I wouldn't have given an example of a novelist.

Science covers so many things that it is impossible not to generalise, but whilst you don't get many (any?) artists who are also engineers or mathematicians, you get a fair number of scientists who have highly developed visual reasoning.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 12 2013, 1:43 AM BST

William Hartnell.
Have you ever thought of becoming an Engineer?

Laughing out loud

It seems we are both arguing the same point, {Both (people like) Gérricault and (people like) BillWill are necessary to create a rich and sustaining world.}

However your earlier comments led me to believe that you were arguing that anyone without high visual awareness was impaired, and you were not taking into account that they may have alternative properties/skills that made high visual awareness irrelevant.

I like the rubber ones.

Quote: Lee @ April 12 2013, 1:29 AM BST

Guess WHO?

Billie Piper! :D

The episode with the singing girl was possibly the worst ever. And not just of Who. I missed Luther but I'm kind of glad I did now if this is any indication of the writers talent.

All in all a deeply underwhelming start to the series that suggests that by trying to do this and Sherlock, Moffat is stretching his meagre talent too thinly.

Quote: billwill @ April 12 2013, 4:41 AM BST

It seems we are both arguing the same point, {Both (people like) Gérricault and (people like) BillWill are necessary to create a rich and sustaining world.}

However your earlier comments led me to believe that you were arguing that anyone without high visual awareness was impaired, and you were not taking into account that they may have alternative properties/skills that made high visual awareness irrelevant.

My argument was that most people do not recognise the fact that there is a range of abilities involved in seeing and that some people see 'more' or 'better' to put it into crude terms. Most people are willing to accept that composers 'hear' more or 'better', but not that some people see more.

If you don't accept it though, how can you explain why some people can draw and make art and other's can't? The skill is in the brain not the hands. I'm quite a clumsy person but I draw like a bitch.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 12 2013, 12:31 AM BST

I've done Paul McGann, the 8th Doctor.

Done Tom Baker now.

Which one are you thinking is his hair, Godot?
He has had a few hairstyles, but I was looking for the nice big tall one.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 12 2013, 1:22 AM BST

Tennant's probably the hardest - he's the only one to have had a nosejob

Errr

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 12 2013, 11:21 AM BST

Done Tom Baker now.

When are we putting them up?!

I wonder if anyone can do a decent Matt Smith. He has quite an unusual face on him!

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2013, 11:27 AM BST

Which one are you thinking is his hair, Godot?
He has had a few hairstyles, but I was looking for the nice big tall one.

Errr

21 is a reasonable approximation.

He's had a 'Sting'

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 12 2013, 11:42 AM BST

When are we putting them up?!

We might as well do it. Raymond and Stott are predictably absent.

Put up your Mcgann and I'll follow. I hope it's not in lego.

Huh, weird. Is sexier now. So a good job well done.

I thought 21 was the closest too, but it's not good enough! Stupid photofit people.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2013, 11:43 AM BST

I wonder if anyone can do a decent Matt Smith. He has quite an unusual face on him!

Oddly, has a very similar face to Rhianana.