Doctor Who...

Hats off to Russell T. Davies for completely re-energising this franchise and turning it into one of the Beebs biggest shows in years. But am I alone in getting a bit sick of the endless "Aliens Invading London" storylines? It seems to me he's pissing away a great conceit, and turning Dr Who into an increasingly predictable show. I'm also slightly concerned that the best and most memorable monsters of the new show, are ones created thirty or forty years ago.

I really enjoyed Dr Who when it was brought back but I have real issues with the current locum. Whereas the other Dr’s were mildly eccentric I find the present one borders on the psychotic.

You didnt think tom baker bordered on the psychotic?? Compared to him Tennant is as sane as they come! The man was a loon!

That was an absolute understatement but I never felt that Tom Baker was a danger to himself but as for David 'Mad Eyes' Tennant, this man is a prime example of care in the community gone wrong.

As much as I love Doctor Who (old and new) I am getting a bit tired of London dominating our screens.

'Adventures in Time and Space'... It's such a great concept, so why can't we see it in action.

I know if I had a Tardis I'd be going somewhere other than London.

I know what you mean, and let's not forget the congestion charge.

Quote: Baumski @ December 19, 2006, 8:10 AM

I know what you mean, and let's not forget the congestion charge.

Because of it's advanced method of propulsion, the Tardis is actually exempt from the congestion charge.

And because of the Dr's psychotic problem he's probably got a blue badge and a cup cake to play with.

Russell T. Davies is a knob. Some of it is just such utter bollocks it's unbelievable. Not that there aren't good episodes of course.

Haven't watched since John Pertwee.

As a former Pertwee-Baker-Davison era fan, can I give a bit of support to the current incarnation? I reckon the new Who is easily the best production ever. Like many others I'm sometimes frustrated and disappointed, but only because the possibilities of the programme set my sights so high. I could easily have given up in NewWho1, but then there was the Dalek episode and the WWII 2parter (which IMHO was better than any other Dr Who programme that I've seen). Similarly NewWho2 was looking ropey and then the Devil turned up. And despite several mediocre episodes, it finished with real emotion and I had to watch each week.
So, despite everything, better than ever in my book.

Another problem with the new Doctor Who is that Russel T. Davies just doesn't understand science fiction, that's why he's so wedded to these London in Peril episodes.

I think it's ace! And Tennant is now my favourite doctor.

Unfortunately, I hadn't even noticed that this series is a bit London-centric. (Probaby because I on and off live there) But you're right, it would be fantastic to see them gad about some alien worlds a bit more.

I also love Torchwood, so I'm all in favour of Russell, myself.
Without him, we may not have got the series back at all.

I have to say im a fan of the new doctor who, I think for the most part its been done pretty well. They are overusing the invasion of London thing a bit too much and the amount of Daleks that exist after they were 'completely wiped out,' TWICE, is just getting ridiculous. Ive always thought Russell T Davies got an unfair wrap but if he ends on another two part Dalek episode, his incompetence will be proven. As for Tennant being a crazy doctor, Id put him as one of my favourites among davison and tom baker. Colin Baker was easily the most unhinged doctor and actually caused mallicious harm to both his companions and enemies, whereas Tennant is just very eccentric.

David Tennant is a very good doctor, and much better than Christopher Ecclestone who seemed to spend most episodes gurning in a very embarrassing way.