Extras Christmas Special Page 18

I thought this would have been good if it was shorter and didn't have that false dramatic conflict about him selling out. It just makes me wary of what they are going to do when they make their drama.

Quote: James Williams @ January 1, 2008, 1:20 AM

I think we are calm now.

Are you startin'?

Yea, wot you gonna make of it, you bitch?

Quote: Nick @ December 31, 2007, 9:34 AM

I have to say that some of the comments from 'writers' on this board about Extras seem extraordinarily pretentious. To focus on one line of a show or how shots were framed seems pedantic it's rather sad if people actively look for things to criticise.

People are picking up on the smaller things because the huge gaping problems with the show have been discussed many times, so now people are picking up an the smaller problems and looking how they make the show bad in a broader context. Of course people when they really love a show ignore most criticism, I do the same of Seinfeld and Arrested Development...but then those two shows are leagues ahead of Extras so it's not even a fair comparison.

But here are the massive problems with Extras:

1. The absolute terrible character writing, especially of Maggie who's stupidity goes up and down like a yo-yo. One minute she is totally 'retarded' and getting Millman into trouble and then next she's seemingly self-aware and quite intelligent. Then the writing of almost every guest cameo who all have the same character trait of been "arrogant".
2. The reliance of "cringe humour" mainly at the expense of ethnic minorities or people with disablilities, especially in the second series...all hidden under the veil of "irony" and that if you don't laugh at it it's because "you don't get it" because of course we're not laughing at the minority we're laughing at Millman because he's showing how people are uncomfortable in front of disabled people or minorities...What?!...I have never once felt uncomfortable when talking to a disabled person or a person with a different colour skin to mine.
3. The unoriginality of it all that people always seem to be blind to. It saddens me when people call Gervais a "creative genius" when a lot of the show is heavily influenced by Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld, especially Series 2 which was just a variation on Seinfeld Season 4. Just like The Office wasn't original as it was a new spin on "The Office" from The Day Today, People Like Us, Spinal Tap and the old Victoria Wood mockumentaries (I love The Office by the way, but it is not ground-breaking).
4. Then you have the smugness of Gervais and his hypocritical messages that Extras gives out. He seems to be knocking "celeb culture" and the need for fame yet Extras seems to have been set up so he could show off all the Hollywood actors that he knows.

So if you don't like people looking at the smaller problems, there are the big problems. Gervais is not a comic genius, but we all know this because he started off on the bloody 11 O'Clock Show when he was absolutely shite, he tried his hand a managing bands and also making music himself over in Japan before eventually finding a hit with The Office...which was great. Extras series 1 was passable, the second series was awful and the special was relatively okay. Gervais is a decent comedy writer, but genius and immortal from criticism he is not.

And breath...:)

Quote: Martin Holmes @ January 1, 2008, 1:42 PM

1. The absolute terrible character writing, especially of Maggie who's stupidity goes up and down like a yo-yo. One minute she is totally 'retarded' and getting Millman into trouble and then next she's seemingly self-aware and quite intelligent.

In the second series there were a couple of moments when Maggie annoyed me by being TOO stupid, I agree. But in this special I thought she was written perfectly, and how she should have been all the way through series 2.
She should be 'retarded' socially, but intelligent morally. Showing us, and Andy, when he is losing the plot.

2. The reliance of "cringe humour" mainly at the expense of ethnic minorities or people with disablilities, especially in the second series...all hidden under the veil of "irony" and that if you don't laugh at it it's because "you don't get it" because of course we're not laughing at the minority we're laughing at Millman because he's showing how people are uncomfortable in front of disabled people or minorities...What?!...I have never once felt uncomfortable when talking to a disabled person or a person with a different colour skin to mine.

Of course not, normal people don't. The people around Millman, however, are mostly idiots.

but we all know this because he started off on the bloody 11 O'Clock Show when he was absolutely shite,

I thought he was brilliant in the 11 O Clock show. (And not just compared to how shit the rest of the show was!)

I reckon that if RG & SM came across this thread, they would look at all the nit picking & laugh their bloody heads clean off. Here are 2 multi millionaires who have become huge household names. Not just on this side of the world. I reckon they could write a comedy that made every person on the planet piss their own pants, and still people will nit pick. At the end of the day we have the right to either have liked it or hated it. No one on this board has the right to get pedantic. I mean who the f**k are we. How dare we. Look at those guys with their huge houses & fancy cars & see who has the upper hand here. Now love it or loathe it & move on For F**k Sake!!!!!!!

Quote: Charley @ January 1, 2008, 1:57 PM

I reckon that if RG & SM came across this thread, they would look at all the nit picking & laugh their bloody heads clean off. Here are 2 multi millionaires who have become huge household names. Not just on this side of the world. I reckon they could write a comedy that made every person on the planet piss their own pants, and still people will nit pick. At the end of the day we have the right to either have liked it or hated it. No one on this board has the right to get pedantic. I mean who the f**k are we. How dare we. Look at those guys with their huge houses & fancy cars & see who has the upper hand here. Now love it or loathe it & move on For F**k Sake!!!!!!!

That's a cop out though. We're discussing Gervais's work just like he is taking shots at other comedians in Extras, it's the same thing really, just because he has a mansion and goes golfing with Jonathan Ross doesn't make his opinion anymore right. Plus the points I made aren't pedantic, they are massive problems with the show staring people right in the face.

I watched this and I thought it was brillant.

Welsh cousins.

I thought that in Carphone Warehouse after Gaffney chucks a box to Darren over his head to give to a customer (y'know what I mean?), he was gonna chuck the box of tissues to him the same way when Maggie is crying, the box either hitting Darren on the head or just landing on the floor with a thud. That would have been hilarious. Missed a trick there, Ricky and Steve. Gimme a call sometime and I'll put you right.

Loved the show.

It drifted all over the shop didn't it?

Merchant is ace - that's a fact. I think he's funnier than Gervais.

Both are better than Extras though and I think both are capable of writing something really good - as good as the Office - if they move away from the areas they've been dealing in.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 1, 2008, 9:58 PM

Merchant is ace - that's a fact. I think he's funnier than Gervais.

Correct.

May I blow a raspberry?

Thank you I will.

I agree Merchant is better. But is that because we see less of him on TV?

Interesting observation David H.

And he doesn't come across as a smug twat when we do, which helps.