Jam and Jerusalem Page 10

My 60 year old Mum liked it and that's fine by me. Not many 'comedies' are made for women like her. (Though my Mum's favourite sitcom of late is actually 'Saxondale' - the woman's got class.)

Bloody hell!

Quote: DivaDen @ February 22, 2008, 1:35 PM

Well, guess it must be me. I think it's excellent. A total gem. Like Barney, i will ALSO be ordering the DVDs. The videos are getting worn out. Hurrah for the wit and wisdom of Jennifer Saunders and the brilliant acting of all the cast. Yah-boo to all the detractors.

Yet another supporter of Jennifer Saunders who pops in here, makes one post and is never seen or heard of again.

Weird eh?

David, not everyone loves comedy enough (unfortunately) to post incessently. Even Barry isn't a constant poster.

It's not hilariously funny, but it's not supposed to be. I find the characters immensely endearing. If people were cracking up at this show there'd be some serious misguidance to it.

Honestly, I don't even think it should be discussed on a "sitcom" forum. The show's clearly a light drama.

Quote: Jeanie @ February 25, 2008, 5:34 PM

It's not hilariously funny, but it's not supposed to be. I find the characters immensely endearing. If people were cracking up at this show there'd be some serious misguidance to it.

Honestly, I don't even think it should be discussed on a "sitcom" forum. The show's clearly a light drama.

If that's the case don't you think Dawn French's character is seriously misplaced. She is so ridiculously over the top that I can't see it fits in with the rest.

I'm from the States, and love this show. My DVD of season one has made it's way around to many of my friends.. and most order a copy of their own. I didn't expect it to be like Ab Fab. It isn't.. and that is why I love it even more. I hope there is a third season.. and I hope the BBC is smart enough to release season 2 on DVD.

Seems that the show is far more popular in the US than it is in the UK!

Quote: Aaron @ February 26, 2008, 9:06 AM

Seems that the show is far more popular in the US than it is in the UK!

Well... have you seen what is on American television lately? It really is a huge amount of crap. Jam just feels a little less contrived than most American sit-coms.. or dramadies as we call shows like Jam. Even with Rosie's off the wall character.. it all just seems a little more real than the current shows in the US. I am the exception... but I hate shows like Friends. Bad humor, bad writing, and they always overstay their welcome. Shows in the US run for much longer than your programming, and I think that makes the writers and actors lazy. Jam just seems like it gets to the point much quicker, and that is refreshing. I am biased though.. I am a huge fan of your shows. Ab Fab, French and Saunders, Are You Being Served, Vicar, Katherine Tate, Dr Who, Last of the Summer Wine, Torchwood... love them all. Many of my nights turn into impromptu BBC nights. Friends will come over for drink.. and we end up watching DVD's. That is something we never do for our American shows... well.. except for the American version of The Office.

I dont like it. I expect better from a writer like Jernnefer Saunders, but even a top notch cast are not able to save it.

Teary

I kind of fell across the first ep of the second series of J&J, and liked it so much, I got hold of the first series, to help understand the characters a bit more. I've now watched the whole lot and enjoyed it thoroughly.
I agree that it shouldn't be categorised as a sitcom. There is a gentle humour, which for country dwellers such as myself, is absolutely spot on. Everyone knows somebody like each of the main characters. It kind of reminds me like a rural Royle family. Subtle humour based on relationships and extreme normality.

..... lights touch paper and scrambles for cover...

I reckon all these Yanks who dive bomb this site in support of her are really Adrian Edmonson.

Oooh! If so, I love you Ade! Lovey

I loved J&J last year, but this year it has really blossomed. I cried at the series finale. A lot of threads are unsnipped, however and I hear there is not going to be a third series. Most on here won't mourn it, it seems.

PS I'm not Ade or Jen

Yup I think it's great too.