What are you reading right now? Page 210

Is she still alive? (Googles) Yes, apparently. Born in 1931, so 84.

'Look Who's Back' and I'm bored beyond belief. Can't wait to finish it. Not the hysterically funny thing I was led to believe. Only 70 pages to go.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th June 2015, 7:19 PM BST

Is she still alive? (Googles) Yes, apparently. Born in 1931, so 84.

Laughing out loud That's the first thing I did when I had finished the book, living in Spain apparently.

David Nixon - 'Entertainer with the Magic Touch' A recently published biography of the TV personality - Just on the edge of my childhood TV memories...

Quote: Dave Short @ 21st June 2015, 2:54 PM BST

David Nixon - 'Entertainer with the Magic Touch' A recently published biography of the TV personality - Just on the edge of my childhood TV memories...

Ah, like him, so will seek that out - have you read much of it?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st June 2015, 4:22 PM BST

Ah, like him, so will seek that out - have you read much of it?

I'm not too far into it yet, nowhere near his television years yet...

'Daughters of Fire' - Barbara Erskine. This woman's novels frighten the shit out of me - historical ghosty things which flit between past and present.

This thread.

Just finished my re-read of Hancock by Freddie Hancock (his second wife) and David Nathan, and you can almost look on it as a prequel to "Lady Don't Fall Backwards" which is Joan Le Mesurier's account of her short affair with TH.

Interesting to read that at one point he had told Freddie that he had found a younger and prettier woman than her - Joan of course, and is spoken of in the book as - "The new 'girl', in fact was a married woman, older than Freddie and wife of a man Hancock had known for years". No mention is made of her name or of her husband John.

Most of this three way tangle in Hancock's love life occurred about that time of the near disastrous Royal Festival Hall show.

So if you are interested in reading about Hancock I suggest you read this first then the Joan Le Mez. book.

He said he was deeply in love with all three women, including his first wife Cicely right up to his death, but he virtually destroyed each one with his drinking even though each one had tried very hard to make him kick his alcoholism. Each one had been driven to drink themselves - in one instance saying that what they put away was once less drink down his throat.

He sounds like a catch.

Very sad demise of a once great comic actor. :(

The Spring of Casper Meier - Ben Ferguson. Berlin 1946. Finding it a bit depressing, but interesting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th July 2015, 10:03 AM BST

Just finished my re-read of Hancock by Freddie Hancock (his second wife) and David Nathan, and you can almost look on it as a prequel to "Lady Don't Fall Backwards" which is Joan Le Mesurier's account of her short affair with TH.

Interesting to read that at one point he had told Freddie that he had found a younger and prettier woman than her - Joan of course, and is spoken of in the book as - "The new 'girl', in fact was a married woman, older than Freddie and wife of a man Hancock had known for years". No mention is made of her name or of her husband John.

Most of this three way tangle in Hancock's love life occurred about that time of the near disastrous Royal Festival Hall show.

So if you are interested in reading about Hancock I suggest you read this first then the Joan Le Mez. book.

He said he was deeply in love with all three women, including his first wife Cicely right up to his death, but he virtually destroyed each one with his drinking even though each one had tried very hard to make him kick his alcoholism. Each one had been driven to drink themselves - in one instance saying that what they put away was once less drink down his throat.

Very sad.

Drink-a-pinta-milk-aday? Probably not.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 6th July 2015, 6:19 AM BST

Very sad.

Indeed. He just could not accept his destiny and once he had disposed of his friends (Sid etc.) professionally there was no going back in his mind.

I'm not sure how accepting our destiny comes into it, Herc-our destiny is where we're going, not where we've been or where we are now. Maybe you meant he should have stayed as he was-but that's not creative is it?