What are you reading right now? Page 211

Well, in this instance it was his destiny. He realised he had cut off all his successful ties with the past and could see no future in where he was going and at that point he gave up.

His suicide note concluded with "Things seemed to go wrong too many times" and I think he realised it was all self-inflicted, and so he could see nothing ahead for himself.

The Llama Parlour by Kathie Lette. I love her stuff and I read it as if she's narrating it.

This is not so much a re-read as a carrying on read from where I left off 34 years ago!!

"Strawberry Fields Forever: John Lennon Remembered", this American book was seemingly rushed out in December 1980 just after JL was shot as (apart from the U.S. spellings)it has quite a few errors, spelling mistakes etc.

And how do I know it was 34 years ago? Well, as I started to read it, I found a book mark I had put in which was a draw ticket for the RAFA that I had bought in the Spring of 1981, and wondering why I had stopped reading it, I soon realised why; as nearly half of the book is given over to a transcript of an interview done by Barbara Graustark (who?), which is very, very tedious as she basically keeps asking the same question, but from a different angle. But determined to stick with it this time I did finally manage to read the whole thing.

What amused me were the various mentions of the studio engineers who had to leave the recording area each time the Yoko piped up with her "singing", as they could not stop laughing at her efforts and didn't want to offend John.
And one can only wonder and be bemused by this:-

(I presume this was the 1971 concert at Fillmore East, NYC)

"Included with the package was an additional live album that was recorded in part at the London Lyceum with the Plastic Ono Band , and a Fillmore East the previous June with the Mothers of Invention. The London side includes renditions of Cold Turkey and Don't Worry Kyoto from 1969.
The other side took place during a Mothers of Invention concert that was being taped for a live album. Joining Zappa and company for the encore, John and Yoko strolled on stage unannounced, with John doing a solo spot on guitar, Baby Please Don't Go written by one Walter Ward. At this point, the proceedings degenerated into a mad jam listed on the LP as Jamrag, and Yoko crawled into a large sack with a microphone, wailing away. As a maliciously grinning, demented Zappa egged the crowd into a chant of Scumbag, Yoko continued writhing in her sack while John blithely strummed away, enjoying the whole thing. The musicians left the stage one by one, leaving Yoko all alone in the bag, screaming at the top of her lungs in the midst of deafening feedback."

The mind boggles, and despite what was in the book I have read elsewhere that even for Zappa this load of bollocks was too weird for him and he was not entirely happy with Yoko's "appearance".

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th July 2015, 4:12 PM BST

The mind boggles, and despite what was in the book I have read elsewhere that even for Zappa this load of bollocks was too weird for him and he was not entirely happy with Yoko's "appearance".

Not very surprising to me. Despite establishing a reputation of a madman Zappa was always in complete control (he was teetotal by the way) over his appearance and he planned his albums and gigs meticulously. He was a control freak so he must have been thinking of Yoko as a nutcase. Spontaneous ideas in general must have been very suspect to him.

Have just started 'Leaving Time' - Jodi Piccoult. So far up to her usual excellent standards.

Ending was quite a surprise.

Now starting 'Blow Back' - Peter May. I think I'm maybe addicted to his books.

Now 2/3 through 'The Girl on the Train' and I think I'm getting an inkling of whodunit, but I could be wrong.

Coming up next by Penny Smith.

Oh how I wish I ............

Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted. Guts is one of the best short stories I've ever read.

Quote: keewik @ 14th August 2015, 4:51 PM BST

Now 2/3 through 'The Girl on the Train' and I think I'm getting an inkling of whodunit, but I could be wrong.

Finished and it's taken over my brain. Need to get into another book to cleanse my head.

"Dear Me". An autobiog. by Peter Ustinov which I thought would be a very good read.

"Hilarious" "Uproarious stories" and so on said the blurb on the cover, but I found it tedious and a big let down by one our great raconteurs, especially when he spends much of the time with a "question and answer" session in each chapter, which he poses for you the reader and he replies.

The only bit that made me smile was when he describes somebody lounging in an easy chair like a badly folded deckchair.

Nearly finished The Curious Incident Of the Dog In The Night-time. I saw the play earlier this year. Really liked it so I decided to read the book. Enjoying the book as well but I don't think I would have gone to see play if I read it first.

I've also started re-reading the first Harry Potter book.

Quote: reds @ 23rd September 2015, 1:29 PM BST

Nearly finished The Curious Incident Of the Dog In The Night-time. I saw the play earlier this year. Really liked it so I decided to read the book. Enjoying the book as well but I don't think I would have gone to see play if I read it first.

I've also started re-reading the first Harry Potter book.

I haven't read 'The Curious Incident...' for years now and it was before Autism was present in the family. Maybe I'll give it another go? I reviewed Kathy Lettes' book 'The Boy Who Fell To Earth' a while back, but didn't really like it at the time. It felt far too flippant with a number of increasingly irritating one liners scattered throughout.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th August 2015, 5:30 PM BST

Coming up next by Penny Smith.

Oh how I wish I ............

Still reading this.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 23rd September 2015, 5:55 PM BST

I haven't read 'The Curious Incident...' for years now and it was before Autism was present in the family. Maybe I'll give it another go? I reviewed Kathy Lettes' book 'The Boy Who Fell To Earth' a while back, but didn't really like it at the time. It felt far too flippant with a number of increasingly irritating one liners scattered throughout.

I haven't read The Boy Who Fell To Earth. I don't how much you knew about Autism before it was present in your family, you might find if you reread Curious Incident you get something different out of it.

Also I think if you were to reread it, keep in mind that the experience is different for everyone and may not reflect your personal situation.... something that I'm sure you know already from speaking to others.
(Sorry if this sounds like I'm having a go at you- I don't mean it like that, I just know some people who have read it and seemed to be annoyed because it didn't reflect their personal experiences with Autism)