What are you reading right now? Page 212

About to start 'Carpet Diem' by Justin Anderson. I have high hopes for it.

"Before Your Very Eyes" auto-biog. of Arthur Askey published in 1975. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've always liked him.

He died in 1982 after having both his legs amputated after suffering gangrene in them (I thought this was from him falling off a stage, but cannot find any reference to it) and I feel some connection there as that was the fate of my father when he suffered the same thing after a fall from his mobility scooter in 1984 - a momentous year for British deaths! Eric Morecambe, Tommy Cooper, Richard Burton, James Mason, Diana Dors, Leonard Rossiter, Flora Robson etc.

We also lost the stupid decimal half-penny.

And our 19 year old white cat Alphonse died in our garden while I stroked him as he breathed his last.

So I will never forget 1984!

Just been treated to Easily Distracted, Steve Coogan's new book.
I may be some time.

'The Paying Guests' - Sarah Waters. So far, very engrossing.

Viz "The big hard one".

Nineteen eighty four

Eric Morecambe - Unseen

Which is a slightly misleading title as at least I have seen it.

Johnny Vegas's Autobiography. It was highly lauded when it was first published, but now I'm not so sure. The chapters dealing with his experiences in the seminary aren't that interesting and are rather repetitive. I've skipped forward a bit and now he's obsessed with onanism. Hmm.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 17th October 2015, 2:57 PM BST

Just been treated to Easily Distracted, Steve Coogan's new book.
I may be some time.

Oooh - I want to read that. Apparently it only goes up to the early/mid 90s, a little like Jo Brand's first biography and Rob Brydon's as well as John Cleeses' - oh, the list goes on.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 17th October 2015, 6:01 PM BST

Viz "The big hard one".

A cracking good read, as are they all. I own every single Viz annual I'm proud to say.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th October 2015, 5:30 PM BST

"Before Your Very Eyes" auto-biog. of Arthur Askey published in 1975. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've always liked him.

He died in 1982 after having both his legs amputated after suffering gangrene in them (I thought this was from him falling off a stage, but cannot find any reference to it) and I feel some connection there as that was the fate of my father when he suffered the same thing after a fall from his mobility scooter in 1984 - a momentous year for British deaths! Eric Morecambe, Tommy Cooper, Richard Burton, James Mason, Diana Dors, Leonard Rossiter, Flora Robson etc.

We also lost the stupid decimal half-penny.

And our 19 year old white cat Alphonse died in our garden while I stroked him as he breathed his last.

So I will never forget 1984!

Me and Mr TBN tried in vain to find Askey's grave in Putney Vale Cemetery last week and could we? Could we buffalo. Such a pity as Joan Sims, Hattie Jacques and The real 'Duchess of Duke Street' were interred there too.

This popped up in the Audible sale so I bought it: http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Health-Personal-Development/How-to-Write-Everything-Audiobook/B00UC7UV8M/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1445169242&sr=1-1

It's David Quantick's "How to Write Everything" - has anyone else read it/listened to it?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 18th October 2015, 12:55 PM BST

It's David Quantick's "How to Write Everything" - has anyone else read it/listened to it?

Nope. If it ain't by Marc P I ain't reading it.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 18th October 2015, 1:05 PM BST

Nope. If it ain't by Marc P I ain't reading it.

I hadn't realised that Marc P had cornered the market in 'Writers' Self-Help Manuals'? Pleased

I'm going to have a third attempt to read "A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes" by Stephen Hawking...............

Has anyone got through this book to the end and understood it all?

I'm not of a scientific mind so have a mental block about it. My older son, a scientist, tells me it's written in simple terms for ordinary people!!!!!! On Saturday night we watched the film about Hawking's life. It was very engrossing and the actor who played him, was indeed brilliant.

Quote: keewik @ 20th October 2015, 3:46 PM BST

I'm not of a scientific mind so have a mental block about it. My older son, a scientist, tells me it's written in simple terms for ordinary people!!!!!! On Saturday night we watched the film about Hawking's life. It was very engrossing and the actor who played him, was indeed brilliant.

How ordinary do you have to be? :( I got about 50 pages in last time and he started to lose me.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 17th October 2015, 11:16 PM BST

Oooh - I want to read that. Apparently it only goes up to the early/mid 90s,

No, it's right up to the present as far as I can see, he talks about the making of Philomena, Alpha Papa, The Trip etc.