Newsjack - Series 12 Page 22

Thanks!
I went to a recording years ago - Miles Jupp was still hosting - but should probably go again next series. Difficult to fit in around my performance stuff, but taking one week out wouldn't hurt.
Good luck to everyone submitting this week.

Quote: IlDustino @ 28th March 2015, 10:25 AM GMT

Was really interesting to hear the rewrites they made. I thought there was an extra gag or two in my version, but I'll certainly learn from the changes, especially on structure and brevity.

It's really interesting to listen to a sketch you wrote and compare it to what was submitted to the script editor. Certainly, when writing for RFTP in s1 and 2, only one of my sketches was broadcast pretty much word-for-word and it remains the one I'm least proud of. No-one laughed at any of the jokes I'd written, only the song that was spliced in mid-way through that had bugger all to do with me, and I'm surprised it ever survived the edit! Most of the time, I noticed it was the first 20 seconds or so of my sketches that got re-written, perhaps to hit the first gag earlier than I had.

Hi, folks

Finally checking in after crazy work week when I have mostly been writing about asparagus. Really.

Congratulations everyone who got recorded/cut this week; my most favourite was the Teletubbies sketch.

Thanks for all lovely messages; four years sub-editing a business mag finally paid off!

Good luck with the final episode. It certainly seems as though more BCG-ers have been making it on this series; long may that continue.

One liners and Viewsjacks mailed for the last time this series. Here's hoping for a second credit.
Good luck to all who've done the same :|

Quote: thebda @ 31st March 2015, 12:17 PM BST

Right, all done. What's the next deadline? Any word on a new series of the Show What You Wrote?

Yes, all done here too - good luck everyone!

Re SWYW - a 3rd series has been commissioned. (Hurrah)

:)

Hey everyone? What do you do with your stuff that doesn't make it into the show? Do you stick the scripts up on a blog? Record anything yourself?

Quote: IlDustino @ 31st March 2015, 3:48 PM BST

Hey everyone? What do you do with your stuff that doesn't make it into the show? Do you stick the scripts up on a blog? Record anything yourself?

Il Dustino first of all congratulations on the Teletubbies sketch - definitely one of the stand-out ones last week.

At this stage of a NJ run it's a common question and for those who don't already know there are two shows that run throughout the year that take topical material. They are:
London's Newsrevue at Canal Cafe (More on NR separate thread in Writing Discussion)
Brighton's Treason Show (More on Treason separate thread in Writing Discussion)

What we (Kirrin Island) used to do was indeed make our own, gather together scripts, re-write them and record them into a Kirrin Island podcast. However over time that has evolved and we're doing something different with it (See thread about it here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/31665/ ) Still a chance to submit just not the old NJ sketches!

My tip is to try and find some way to see your stuff being performed whether that's going to NR/Treason (if you get stuff on), try and record it yourself or even get a few friends to read it out. It helps enormously to find what bits work and what bits feel very slow with no jokes.

And there's always the option to post stuff up on critique on here. (I'm less keen on this as sometimes the advice on there might not always be that constructive - others may disagree with me on that).

Anyway don't let the end of NJ be the end of your writing!

Quote: Bonzo @ 31st March 2015, 12:39 PM BST

Yes, all done here too - good luck everyone!

Re SWYW - a 3rd series has been commissioned. (Hurrah)

:)

I um, I already new this over a couple of months ago...

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 31st March 2015, 11:06 PM BST

I um, I already new this over a couple of months ago...

Us too! :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 31st March 2015, 11:07 PM BST

Us too! :)

Ah so you were also in that group ;)

Yes. Very exciting!

:D

Thanks Stephen. I had one eye on the Kirrin Island brief. Sounds great. April's a busy month, but I'm hoping I'll find time to write something. Without the limitations of being topical, it's hard to know where to start. And I say that as someone who used to HATE the limitations of writing about recent news!

I didn't know about the renewal of TSWYW. But I do now! Thanks Bonzo/Jane!

Won't have my sitcom script ready in time for the BBC script room deadline, but will maybe have a go at sitcommission and/or Rocliffe later in the year.

I've only recently started writing for stuff other than my own live performance. Glad I found this forum. Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Quote: IlDustino @ 1st April 2015, 4:43 PM BST

Thanks Stephen. I had one eye on the Kirrin Island brief. Sounds great. April's a busy month, but I'm hoping I'll find time to write something. Without the limitations of being topical, it's hard to know where to start. And I say that as someone who used to HATE the limitations of writing about recent news!

I didn't know about the renewal of TSWYW. But I do now! Thanks Bonzo/Jane!

Won't have my sitcom script ready in time for the BBC script room deadline, but will maybe have a go at sitcommission and/or Rocliffe later in the year.

I've only recently started writing for stuff other than my own live performance. Glad I found this forum. Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Well done on the credit Mr. G was a very good sketch. Kirrin Island is a brilliant thing to write for, the new script eds are very good.

And I can fondly recommend the Sitcom trials, it's the place I met Bec Hill, I won a joke competition and the prize was being bought a drink by Mrs. Hill and a nice chat

Ok, for all you sketch spotters, here's what I can remember for the record - probably with the wrong names but I hope you can identify yours:
Labour Mugs
Cameron's Daughter
Candidates Who's who?
Hopkins Threat Level
Podium Showrooms
Betting Pastor
Panda Secrets
Rhino Horn Replacement (AKA Rhino shop sketch)
University of Nothing
Leveticus Bistro
Twitter Threats
Obese Kids
Man to Man on Tinder
Facebook Friends
Very English James Bond
Tiger Woods Game
Loaded Photographers Quickie.

Hope I've made some of you smile at home.

Can't really remember any one liners except one that nearly broke Newsjack but, no, I'm not going to spoil it for you - better listen yourself.

Quote: Bomsh @ 2nd April 2015, 12:26 AM BST

Can't really remember any one liners except one that nearly broke Newsjack but, no, I'm not going to spoil it for you - better listen yourself.

Nearly broke Newsjack?
In what way - can you hint without spoiling it completely?
Or in PM..?