Newsjack - Series 12 Page 23

A one-liner that almost broke newsjack? Intriguing.

Looks like my Ed Miliband gangsta rap album advert didn't make it this week. I might just record it myself. Any excuse to do a Tim Westwood impression. Crossing all fingers and toes for a successful one-liner.

Who were the cast last night? Twitter says Charlie Partridge, and...?

How many laughs breaks a programme?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd April 2015, 9:40 AM BST

Depends on the programme. For some reason the laughter threshold is much lower for live coverage of past PM or royal funerals.

Quote: Bomsh @ 2nd April 2015, 12:26 AM BST

Hope I've made some of you smile at home.

Sadly not! 0/15 in my first series trying to get stuff on the show; been good practice if nothing else.

Good luck to everyone for the e-mails later and see you again when the show's back.

Geeky stats time:

Interested in how the whole BBC progression works (seeing as Newsjack is one the major routes BBC comedy recruits new writers), I thought I'd do a bit of research. It seems that when people start getting credits with Newsjack consistently, their names start to be circulated between the producers, leading to such closed-door opportunities as possibly being offered a Newsquiz trial writer spot. Once you get to that point then you have a good chance of becoming one of the BBC Bursary writers (the 12 month paid apprenticeship), the scheme which recruits two new in-house writers every year.

So back to the stats, out of the five episodes and 129 open door writers this series, the following writers have 3+ credits so far:
Kevin Core (4)
Patrick Widdess (4)
Andrew West (3)
Brian Teles (3)
Claire Wetton (3)
Edward DeCesare (3)
Luke Catterson (3)

It's going to be really interesting how these guys careers develop (if we start hearing their names in the credits on other shows), and also if they do progress it just goes to show how great Newsjack is for aspiring writers, long may it continue!

One of those writers is an exciting up and coming new writer aren't they?

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd April 2015, 1:26 PM BST

One of those writers is an exciting up and coming new writer aren't they?

And one them is a complete prat, I won't say who, but I will say Nish has had difficulties pronouncing his name

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 2nd April 2015, 12:29 AM BST

Nearly broke Newsjack?
In what way - can you hint without spoiling it completely?
Or in PM..?

Hmm ... not really. The gag is a big hit but doesn't hit quite so hard when you know its coming, so a hint would be spoiling it for you (and everyone).

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd April 2015, 9:40 AM BST

Good question - in this case where the cast have to stand there waiting for the audience to shut up, drawing breath for the follow up a couple of times and then abandoning it.
A friend of mine had one like this a couple of series ago. The audience laughed so much at the set-up, they almost lost the punchline. I think it was the last gag of the series as well.

I can't wait to hear it!

I'll be out of WiFi range shortly so I will wish everyone luck now and hope lots of you get the good email.

:)

Do you mean the cuttings or the host's script?

Quote: thebda @ 2nd April 2015, 3:03 PM BST

Has anyone here had any experience with the Newsquiz writing spot? I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Not directly, but a friend of mine has (interestingly, he never wrote for an open door show like Newsjack and I'm still not entirely sure how he got in, but he has written for a fairly well-known comedian so it may well have come about from that). He wrote for the News Quiz and the Now Show amongst others. It wasn't all positive from a financial perspective, insofar that what the BBC paid him didn't even stretch to cover his expenses for attending meetings down in London so it effectively cost him money (which surprises me: in my experience they were quite good about expenses - if a tad slow). It did, however, lead to a whole host of other writing opportunities on other radio and TV shows, culminating in him getting a gig adapting the screenplay for a film that was released in cinemas nationwide - a gig, I hasten to add, for which he was never paid.

Still. We do it for the love of writing, eh? And however chastening the experience of 'making it' was for him, it isn't the same for everyone. And at least it shows that doors will open for you, even as an outsider.

I'm in this week
yay

Anyone else get the good e mail?

Ah butts. Nothing for me, it would seem.
Well done to you successful lot.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 2nd April 2015, 7:28 PM BST

I'm in this week
yay

Anyone else get the good e mail?

Well done, Mr Sunshine! Nothing for us this week.

Well done Steve H.