Derek - Series 2 Page 3

This was very disappointing. I was actually looking at the clock hoping it was nearly finished. I don't like to diss somone's art but it was just awful. I might give it one last chane next week but if it's as bad as the first episode I won't bother again.

More dogshit served up by Gervais this week.

The scene with the banker explaining what he did for a living seemed like the result of a bunch of twelve-year-olds being asked by their teacher to come up with a play about 'why being greedy is bad.' So simplistic and trite it's unbelievable.

Also, did Kev have a can of special brew tucked away behind the chair just in case his dreams of bettering himself and achieving gainful employment were dashed? Utter bollocks.

Kev not even being able to imagine having sex with thingy was sort of funny.

Otherwise just awful.

The trying to conceive thing is just ridiculous, not to mention the Health and Safety implications of having a sneaky bunk-up and not so much as changing her apron afterwards!
Might be in the minority but I like the Derek character and see him as the innocent he's meant to be, just wish there was less of the sledgehammer contrast of Kev and his endless smut, I wasn't moved by the 'but he has a heart after all' moment at the interview and going back on the beer was way too predictable.

So far, so so so.

I can't believe how many of you "hate" this show.

I really do love this show and its characters and personally think it is Gervais's best work to date. It's funny, bittersweet and sweet. What's not to love? I take my hat off to Ricky for creating something so good and different.

People need to realise Gervais can not write good sitcoms

The Office was just a fluke

Every other attempt has been piss poor

He doesn't know what he's doing

He has many talents - writing sitcoms isn't one of them

Derek could have been decent in the hands of a talented writer

Sadly - it's just tosh

Just watched episode 2. It's still pretty boring isn't it? Even the jokes are just old jokes redone, he seems to have stolen jokes from loads of places, like Red Dwarf for example. He's got a nice message about money not being important but it's said by mega rich, mega greedy Ricky Gervais. It's just poor - and lazy.

Also, so, did Karl Pilkington actually leave last week then? I thought that was just a joke! If he has left, it was a pretty bad way of explaining it - plus if he's gone, there's even less reason to watch it.

http://kindness-is-derek.tumblr.com/

Is Karl Pilkington coming back in this series?

I am still confused as to why a Channel 4 comedy programme about disability played by non-disabled actors can be so accepted while the BBC, who had an excellent comedy series (I'm With Stupid) about disabled people played by disabled actors, seem to be doing their best to eradicate it from memory. No follow up series, no DVD and no re-run on iPlayer.

Surely nothing to do with a big name influential TV comedy actor in one but not the other...

I think the answer is darker and stranger. I'm With Stupid was brilliant and very realistic about the lives of peoples with disabilities, which people just aren't ready for.

So much so you get as a replacement Derek and I'm Spazticus, which are both a fusion of the mocking and the patronising.

What's really strange, mental health is covered with My Mad Fat Diary, Peep Show and Taking Over The Asylum, which were real, brilliant and funny.

What is it with physical and learning disability?

Ricky Gervais is the Tony Blair of comedy.

I caught the second half of last week's episode and thought it was pretty funny - especially Joe Wilkinson as Cliff.

As a result, I decided to watch the previous week's episode, but I almost started retching when Derek was doing his "Why do you help rich people make money?" speech and had to turn it off.

Why did Ricky Gervais decided to sledgehammer this point home so awkwardly? Was he trying to say that there's no logical answer to the question? Did he think he was illustrating how awkward we feel celebrating success and wealth? It felt so badly executed that I couldn't understand the point of it.

Well, personally I have been loving the new series so far. Last week's episode with Joe Wilkinson was a joy! Kev has to be my favourite character, the tears are rolling down my face when he says stuff!