The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 4

Quote: playfull @ 24th January 2014, 3:38 PM GMT

So should I send a tin of quality street & a bottle of Chivas regal with my entry or not?

Of Course. Just don't expect it to help.

Quote: simon wright @ 24th January 2014, 12:30 PM GMT

You mean same premise and characters, but entirely new script? I'd definitely resubmit. What we find puzzling (and I know isn't the case here) is when a writer submits the same script year after year without changing anything. It has happened.

Thanks Simon. That's exactly what I mean - same premise and characters but entirely new script. Took the tip of writing the third or fourth episode rather than the 'establishing pilot' and it was a lot easier. Good to know you guys will accept.

Please don't remember my name when I submit my entry but I see TSM as being more and more like the Catholic Church before the reformation. Must be the new word 'Gold' in your expanding feedback service which gives me this worrying vision (not daring to mention the indulgences analogy).

Anyway, quickly back to the safe and banal, were there many 'written for radio' entries last year and how much interest was there from Radio 4? Any? Because I have the impression of their in trays overflowing with scripts from current writers and the latest long line of untapped standups.

And is it all script or do we get to give a little outline of series, ideas for eps etc. and how much bearing will that have on your decisions? Ta in advance.

is anyone entering an 'episode 1' or pilot? *puts arms in front of face in preparation for barrage of abuse*

And is it all script or do we get to give a little outline of series, ideas for eps etc. and how much bearing will that have on your decisions? Ta in advance.

Because we've moved from live performances to radio style readings, we've become an ideal platform for radio scripts. One of last year's entries (and my personal favourite) was perfect Radio 4 material.

We would really appreciate outlines for future episodes. One of the things production companies will be looking for is whether an idea has legs or not. If you can persuade us that your's does, then we can persuade them.

Quote: simon wright @ 25th January 2014, 6:40 PM GMT

We would really appreciate outlines for future episodes. One of the things production companies will be looking for is whether an idea has legs or not. If you can persuade us that your's does, then we can persuade them.

With regards to outlines for future episodes, do you just want 1 or 2 lines like in the TV Guide/Listings or something more in depth? Thanks.

Quote: Bonzo @ 29th January 2014, 12:36 PM GMT

With regards to outlines for future episodes, do you just want 1 or 2 lines like in the TV Guide/Listings or something more in depth? Thanks.

A paragraph will do, just enough to show that you've thought about it and have structured at least two future episodes.

Quote: Declan @ 29th January 2014, 12:37 PM GMT

A paragraph will do, just enough to show that you've thought about it and have structured at least two future episodes.

Thank you Declan, I have written all six episodes (of series 1) so I will write a paragraph about each and send it with my submission. :D

In February we're bringing you bite-size pieces of advice from writing experts and top people working in the industry. We start with a great piece of insight from Script Angel Hayley McKenzie https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/48/

Can I submit a 30 minute sitcom divided into two 15 minute halves?

Quote: beaky @ 1st February 2014, 5:35 PM GMT

Why would you want to do that?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/guidelines/

While we're on the subject, we've had entries that come in at 44 pages and 59 pages. Please read the guidelines, read your entries out loud and time them to make sure that they come in at 15 minutes.

Quote: beaky @ 1st February 2014, 5:35 PM GMT

Which one will be better, the one with the weak ending or the one with the confusing beginning.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 1st February 2014, 9:35 PM GMT

I think Beaky may be being sarcastic, him being a commissioned sitcom writer and all...

Sitcoms usually last thirty minutes, some last sixty minutes and a few last fifty minutes...

And Sitcom Mission episodes are 15 minutes.

(blushes for shame)

Quote: beaky @ 1st February 2014, 10:50 PM GMT

(blushes for shame)

And congrats, Beaky, tell us more about the sitcom.