The Sitcom Mission 2014

We're back. Details to follow soon.

Looking forward to it.

Great news, all I need now is an idea, script and £10.
Wish me luck.

That's it guys, we're live. Here's a blog post from last year's winners:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

Sorry if I missed this in the notes somewhere, I have tried to check because I'm sure I read it before.

Does the entered 15 minute script have to be written for STAGE, or could it be written for radio/TV?

Obviously, I know this would make a big difference to the way they are presented at the showcase.

Love you all

Quote: Twitchy @ 14th January 2014, 9:32 AM GMT

Sorry if I missed this in the notes somewhere, I have tried to check because I'm sure I read it before.

Does the entered 15 minute script have to be written for STAGE, or could it be written for radio/TV?

Obviously, I know this would make a big difference to the way they are presented at the showcase.

Love you all

Well I think the aim is for the winner to be picked up by a prod company and developed for either TV or radio, but obviously whatever you put in has to work on stage at this point. So write it so it will work on stage. Otherwise you won't get very far.

I don't think it's 'on stage' anymore per se, more a rehearsed readthrough.

I can see how 'on stage' wouldn't necessarily translate well to screen (or radio).

Dan

If it's now rehearsed readthroughs as opposed to acted stage pieces, would a sitcom work that is less about "people in a room talking" (which in the guidelines SitCommission wants to avoid) and is more about words AND actions?
I can see potential radio sitcoms being fine, but a sitcom meant for a TV medium would have a lot of visual stuff going on as well. What if a character needs both hands to perform an action? Does the script in hand fall to the floor?

TV sitcoms tend to go through more read throughs than radio ones.

Hi guys

We now do rehearsed readings so you can write for TV, radio or online.

We'd prefer not to have people just sitting in a room talking, but you could say that The Smoking Room was just that. However, there was always a group of unique and interesting characters involved in a STORY and that's what we're interested in, rather than a bunch of dull characters sitting around talking about stuff that happened 20 years ago.

Hope that helps.

Hello

I'ts the first time I've entered the sitcom mission and before I forward my script I wondered if you are allowed to use brand names within the episode. I look forward to hearing your reply

Many thanks
Dave

Quote: David Mills @ 17th January 2014, 1:10 PM GMT

Hello

I'ts the first time I've entered the sitcom mission and before I forward my script I wondered if you are allowed to use brand names within the episode. I look forward to hearing your reply

Many thanks
Dave

Hi Dave

Yes, this is fine.

Cheers, Declan

What did happen twenty years ago? Actually what happened last Wednesday?

Quote: Declan @ 17th January 2014, 11:23 PM GMT

Hi Dave

Yes, this is fine.

Cheers, Declan

Thanks for the reply Declan I'll forward an episode

Quote: Marc P @ 18th January 2014, 9:26 AM GMT

What did happen twenty years ago? Actually what happened last Wednesday?

Having a bunch of characters sitting around talking about last Wednesday is fine. Just not 20 years ago.