The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 7

I thought a pilot was episode 1?

I thought pilot was episode 0 - it would depend on its success whether there is episode 1 or not.

An episode!

Quote: AlexSW @ 7th March 2014, 10:01 AM GMT

Hi, I think someone up thread asked this already but I haven't seen the answer. Are you looking for episode 1 or a pilot?

We're looking for episode 4. That doesn't mean you have to write episodes 1-3 first. Hope that helps.

Quote: Declan @ 7th March 2014, 12:57 PM GMT

We're looking for episode 4. That doesn't mean you have to write episodes 1-3 first. Hope that helps.

Let's see...according to accepted wisdom, episode 4 is the weakest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in your book it said that you do not want an episode 0 (I'm paraphrasing). Usually the pilot is sort of episode 0, so I don't think the question is completely invalid.

Quote: AlexSW @ 7th March 2014, 1:07 PM GMT

Correct me if I'm wrong but in your book it said that you do not want an episode 0 (I'm paraphrasing). Usually the pilot is sort of episode 0, so I don't think the question is completely invalid.

Hi Alex

First off, thanks for buying the book.

Second, sorry if I came across as being dismissive. I wasn't. Here's what Katie Tyrrell said about writing episode 1:

"Don't write Episode One. It can ensnare a writer into exposition and introductions that are unnecessary and unusable in any other episode - so, you may as well crack how you're going to set the scene and introduce the characters in every other episode that isn't the first."

We refer to Episode Zero as The One Where The Writer Meets The Characters For The First Time. It's fine to write this episode because it's a way to get to know your own characters, just don't send it anywhere.

We want to see an episode where all of the introductions are have been and gone, the family/surrogate family is fully formed and we get to see a stimulus or inciting incident which acts as a threat or opportunity to the family. We then want to see the central character(s) deal with that threat or opportunity, resolve it and return to status quo.

I hope that makes sense. See any episode of Will and Grace as an example.

Or you could write something fantastically original which nobody has ever seen before.

Quote: beaky @ 7th March 2014, 12:59 PM GMT

Let's see...according to accepted wisdom, episode 4 is the weakest.

Hi Beaky

We're quoting Caroline Raphael, Radio 4's comedy commissioner. Who are you quoting?

I thought you were quoting Katie Tyrrell <snort>.

Thanks for the explanation!

Odd. On my screen it definitely says that the quotes are from AlexSW and Beaky.

Hello Declan and Simon,

Having previously written 6 x 30 mins episodes, I set out to create a 15 minute episode from one of them. I did this and I am currently polishing it and was planning to enter it into Sitcom Mission.

However, it is episode 1. I believe that it is typical of subsequent episodes in that it is a 'fish out of water' type of sitcom so the central character is always going to be struggling to be accepted by the group who've been there for years. His wants and the groups wants are always the same and I've tried to keep exposition to a minimum.

If you absolutely won't be able to consider it, then I don't want to waste your time by entering it. Please could you advise? Thank you very much,

Jane

... And will all scripts that have already been entered, and that fall into the first episode category, have equal status to those that are from later in the series? After all, there was nothing in the comp guidelines or rules to suggest otherwise.

Quote: Bonzo @ 8th March 2014, 2:09 PM GMT

Hello Declan and Simon,

Having previously written 6 x 30 mins episodes, I set out to create a 15 minute episode from one of them. I did this and I am currently polishing it and was planning to enter it into Sitcom Mission.

However, it is episode 1. I believe that it is typical of subsequent episodes in that it is a 'fish out of water' type of sitcom so the central character is always going to be struggling to be accepted by the group who've been there for years. His wants and the groups wants are always the same and I've tried to keep exposition to a minimum.

If you absolutely won't be able to consider it, then I don't want to waste your time by entering it. Please could you advise? Thank you very much,

Jane

Hi Jane

We'll be judging scripts on their merit. The script that you send to us won't be the one that is showcased because we'll want to get our grubby little hands on it and develop it/improve it/change it out of all recognition as we see fit. So our thoughts are less "this is a great script and we want to showcase it" and more "this is someone we can work with".

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ 8th March 2014, 3:26 PM GMT

... And will all scripts that have already been entered, and that fall into the first episode category, have equal status to those that are from later in the series? After all, there was nothing in the comp guidelines or rules to suggest otherwise.

Hi Alan

All scripts will be judged on merit and we'll be picking the best eight to develop. Just because it's episode one doesn't mean it will be excluded, especially if the writer has shown skill in order to present it as a typical episode and not one that is full of exposition with little forward-looking story.

During the development process, we'll be working with the writers to improve their scripts. We'll then be looking to showcase the writers that we think have produced the best scripts and that we'd like to promote.

Thank you very much!
Jane

Have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the Sitcom Mission e-book, currently figuring out the gross comic perspectives of the peep show cast, you'll never look at a comedy in the same way again!

Highly recommend!

Can the script be just a radio sitcom?

Quote: James Salisbury @ 11th March 2014, 5:32 PM GMT

Can the script be just a radio sitcom?

Certainly can. We not only welcome radio scripts, we're actually puzzled by how few writers consider radio.