The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 6

play format will be more limiting though won't it ? especially if the ultimate purpose for the comp is to get commissioned for telly ?

Quote: Ben @ 16th February 2014, 11:47 PM GMT

Why is it a read through now rather than the play format of a few years back? Much more entertaining for an audience, surely?

We decided to put our energy into developing the scripts rather than putting on a show. The audience only turned up in decent numbers when we had a voting system - the year we dispensed with it we played to six people one night and lost £500.

We felt we could best serve our writers and the industry by concentrating on script development which is also the thing we love doing and, with the positive feedback we've had from the industry for Sitcom Mission 2013, we feel this is definitely the way forward.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 18th February 2014, 11:23 AM GMT

The ultimate purpose has nothing to do with making night in question entertaining, does it?

We now do one public rehearsed reading which we use to see the scripts being performed by actors in front of an audience. This proved very useful last year and gave us extra information and feedback as well as a chance to iron out any casting issues. It also gave the finalists the chance to do another rewrite on their script before the industry showcase.

Terrific blog on exposition from Roland Moore creator of the award- winning Land Girls.

Oh. So the read-throughs are only done in front of industry bods?

Or have I simply forgotten how to read properly?

The audience only turned up in decent numbers when we had a voting system

Ah, the good old "those with the most mates" format. :)

I heard Terry and June only got made because Terry Scott had 12 million friends, and he would phone each of them before every episode to nag them into watching.

The world wide economic recession was caused when he couldn't pay his phone bill.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 18th February 2014, 11:23 AM GMT

The ultimate purpose has nothing to do with making night in question entertaining, does it?

No, but is putting on an enetertaining night the point of Sitcommission? I was under the impression it was searching for a script that has potential to become television sitcom. Wrriting an entertaining stage play and a TV sitcom are surely two different things?

Quote: simon wright @ 21st February 2014, 12:46 PM GMT

Terrific blog on exposition from Roland Moore creator of the award- winning Land Girls.

Link?

Quote: sootyj @ 21st February 2014, 1:10 PM GMT

I heard Terry and June only got made because Terry Scott had 12 million friends, and he would phone each of them before every episode to nag them into watching.

The world wide economic recession was caused when he couldn't pay his phone bill.

:D

And to think we always blame the bankers.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st February 2014, 2:12 PM GMT

Link?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/63/

Is a laugh track mandatory for the winner of this contest?

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 21st February 2014, 1:56 PM GMT

No, but is putting on an enetertaining night the point of Sitcommission? I was under the impression it was searching for a script that has potential to become television sitcom. Wrriting an entertaining stage play and a TV sitcom are surely two different things?

We're certainly looking for entertaining, interesting and laugh-out-loud scripts. We now do one public showcase in which we do a rehearsed reading of the six shortlisted scripts which we then reduce to four for the final industry showcase.

Quote: James Salisbury @ 21st February 2014, 6:03 PM GMT

Is a laugh track mandatory for the winner of this contest?

Hi James, if you mean are we just looking for audience-based sitcom, then no.

How strict are you with the 15 minute rule? I have adapted a 30 minute episode with a view of perhaps submitting it to Sitcommission. It is around 15 mins depending on how fast you read it ;) It currently just slips on to the 21st page. Is there an amount of pages you just won't read because you know it will be too long ?

Quote: Mattytheswan @ 24th February 2014, 10:32 AM GMT

How strict are you with the 15 minute rule? I have adapted a 30 minute episode with a view of perhaps submitting it to Sitcommission. It is around 15 mins depending on how fast you read it ;) It currently just slips on to the 21st page. Is there an amount of pages you just won't read because you know it will be too long ?

Hi Matty

We're pretty strict on the 15-minute rule but if your script is excellent and coming in at 17 minutes we will beat the excess out of you in the development process. We've had some scripts sent to us that come in at 45 pages plus - if you're having to do a Pinky and Perky meet the Chipmunks impression then you need to cut some of the fat. And you can always cut some of the fat.

As for cutting down a 30-minute episode to 15 minutes - you've got five weeks, why not challenge yourself and come up with a new idea and a new episode?

OK, thanks Declan.
I might yet come up with something different and keep this as my back up plan.

Hi, I think someone up thread asked this already but I haven't seen the answer. Are you looking for episode 1 or a pilot?