The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 2

Quote: Declan @ 18th January 2014, 5:31 PM GMT

Having a bunch of characters sitting around talking about last Wednesday is fine. Just not 20 years ago.

What about if what happened 20 years ago is/was very funny? Mmm?

And, come to think about it, what happened last Wednesday might be entirely unamusing? Exactly.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 18th January 2014, 7:30 PM GMT

What about if what happened 20 years ago is/was very funny? Mmm?

Then SHOW us that.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 18th January 2014, 7:30 PM GMT

And, come to think about it, what happened last Wednesday might be entirely unamusing? Exactly.

Then you should do more on a Wednesday... like taking our Level 1 Sitcom Writing course at City Academy (gleaming smile, ting!). Our next course is sold out, but there are still places left in April http://www.city-academy.com/3485/Sitcom-Writing--Level-1/637#-TimetableBooking

Also available over two Saturdays in March.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 14th January 2014, 6:15 PM GMT

If it's now rehearsed readthroughs as opposed to acted stage pieces, would a sitcom work that is less about "people in a room talking" (which in the guidelines SitCommission wants to avoid) and is more about words AND actions?
I can see potential radio sitcoms being fine, but a sitcom meant for a TV medium would have a lot of visual stuff going on as well. What if a character needs both hands to perform an action? Does the script in hand fall to the floor?

To answer Mikey's point; we always have a narrator character who describes actions. The scene in Fawlty Towers in which Basil punished his car by beating it with a large branch would be baffling without someone describing what he's doing.

Quote: Declan @ 18th January 2014, 9:40 PM GMT

Then SHOW us that.

Then you should do more on a Wednesday... like taking our Level 1 Sitcom Writing course at City Academy (gleaming smile, ting!). Our next course is sold out, but there are still places left in April http://www.city-academy.com/3485/Sitcom-Writing--Level-1/637#-TimetableBooking

Also available over two Saturdays in March.

:D

Quote: Marc P @ 19th January 2014, 9:18 AM GMT

:D

Talk about the bloody 'hard sell'! Rolling eyes

Quote: simon wright @ 19th January 2014, 12:24 AM GMT

To answer Mikey's point; we always have a narrator character who describes actions. The scene in Fawlty Towers in which Basil punished his car by beating it with a large branch would be baffling without someone describing what he's doing.

Ahhh, I see. Thank you. :)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ 19th January 2014, 11:38 AM GMT

Talk about the bloody 'hard sell'! Rolling eyes

We do indeed talk about the 'hard sell' on week 3 of our Level 1 Sitcom Writing course...

I am hoping to enter this year, thanks for all the info...

Any chance of anyone getting anywhere near the final 4 if

1) They don't suck up to the judges like the cringey efforts last year

2) They don't pay for at least silver feedback

3) They haven't booked on at least one £345 sitcom writing course.

Once a script is submitted to the competition is it best left to find out whether its found any degree of success before sending it elsewhere or am I at liberty to do that and chance my arm elswhere? Is it against etiquette to have the same script in more than one place at a time in the event (hopefully)that somebody wants to use it for purposes other than toilet paper?
Unfortunately I can't afford the top end entry fee, nor the course, so have to hope my stuff is good enough and breaks through one day on merit. Hopefully hard work and a bit of talent will be enough. If it isn't the day will come when I shall have the cleanest toilet! :D

What are your thoughts on submitting a new script/story from a previously un shortlisted sitcom? Last throw of the dice and all that.

Howdo,

In the submitted script, what is the best format to write actions/settings in?

Thanks!

Quote: JBN1 @ 21st January 2014, 12:28 PM GMT

Any chance of anyone getting anywhere near the final 4 if

1) They don't suck up to the judges like the cringey efforts last year

2) They don't pay for at least silver feedback

3) They haven't booked on at least one £345 sitcom writing course.

Yes. They want to develop successful sitcoms as much as you do. If your script is awesome, they'd be silly not to help develop it as it will do them more good in the long-term than develop someone else, just because they paid them money earlier.

Helping develop a successful sitcom would net them much, much more than some sucky person who's paid them £385.

Quote: smudger @ 21st January 2014, 2:39 PM GMT

Once a script is submitted to the competition is it best left to find out whether its found any degree of success before sending it elsewhere or am I at liberty to do that and chance my arm elswhere? Is it against etiquette to have the same script in more than one place at a time in the event (hopefully)that somebody wants to use it for purposes other than toilet paper?
Unfortunately I can't afford the top end entry fee, nor the course, so have to hope my stuff is good enough and breaks through one day on merit. Hopefully hard work and a bit of talent will be enough. If it isn't the day will come when I shall have the cleanest toilet! :D

Send it everywhere at once. Everything takes so long nowadays and you get so little response, that I think it's fair game to send to everyone. Then concentrate on the first one to respond in a positive way; common courtesy to them that at that point to withdraw it from sale. Everyone else snoozes and loses, if you will.

Quote: Kevin Mears @ 21st January 2014, 3:00 PM GMT

What are your thoughts on submitting a new script/story from a previously un shortlisted sitcom? Last throw of the dice and all that.

A previous sitcom has had numerous episodes in two or three 'longlistings' from what I remember, so this is quite a good way of developing your sitcom over a few years. Don't forget to make it better each time though.

Quote: Katastrofee74 @ 21st January 2014, 3:36 PM GMT

Howdo,

In the submitted script, what is the best format to write actions/settings in?

Thanks!

Readable, that's the most important thing.

Dan

Thanks Dan. That's good to know.

Thanks Dan. I met Simon and Declan at the Big Comedy Conference, where they gave me some incredibly useful feedback on my script. I can't afford more than the basic 10 pound entry this time, but I agree, if the script is good then it's good, I don't feel that a script will be lower down the list for not paying for the gold service.