The Sitcom Mission 2014 Page 8

It's about this time of year that we get enquiries about format. 'How do I lay my script out for Sitcom Mission?'

We used to answer that we're not format fascists here at Sitcom Mission towers, but that lay us open to single-spaced horrors such as:

BILL Hi, Ben. Got anything interesting to say?
BEN: Not really. You?
BILL: Nah.

Even worse was this:

BEN: (TO BILL) Thought of anything yet?
BILL: (TO BEN) I thought you were the interesting one?.
BEN: (TO BILL) What's with all this parenthetical crap, anyway?
BILL: (TO BEN) Not sure the writer's ever seen a script before.

Etc, etc. It makes your brain ache.

The short answer is: read lots of sitcom scripts and make yours look similar. There are slight variations, but if you copy the general look of the online examples, we'll be happy. At least you won't make our eyes bleed.

Here are a couple of links to lots of examples:

https://sites.google.com/site/tvwriting/us-comedy/pilot-scripts/13-14-season

www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/search/platform/TV/genre/comedy

I used this:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbctapedsitcom.pdf

It's quite different to some of the sitcom scripts. Is it ok? Thank you.

Quote: Bonzo @ 12th March 2014, 9:37 AM GMT

I used this:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbctapedsitcom.pdf

It's quite different to some of the sitcom scripts. Is it ok? Thank you.

Yes, that's fine.

And remember to make it interesting, funny and brilliant.

thanks - oops, I'd better re-write it if it needs to be interesting, funny and brilliant!! :D

A lot of people use Celtx, too.

Quote: James Salisbury @ 11th March 2014, 5:32 PM GMT

Can the script be just a radio sitcom?

Make sure you mention it's a radio sitcom rather than just using a radio format, FX/GRAMS and a lack of stage directions. I entered a couple of radio scripts last year that got some odd feedback (asking what things looked like) as they didn't realise they were radio scripts.

The rest of the feedback was very good though - but I couldn't help but feel that I may have been marked down a bit on a misunderstanding. Don't let the same thing happen to you!

Quote: simon wright @ 12th March 2014, 11:23 AM GMT

A lot of people use Celtx, too.

As I did, which is partly why I thought the fact it was a radio script was apparent from the layout! :)

What's a ballpark figure of the number of scripts entered for this?

Quote: DavidA @ 16th March 2014, 7:02 PM GMT

What's a ballpark figure of the number of scripts entered for this?

Last year it was 185. One year we had 1215 but that was before we introduced an entry fee.

Declan/Simon.
Just applying finishing touches before submission but want to check your thoughts regarding use of geographical location/regional accents or whether its best not to; and just leave generalised.(?)

I can almost hear my actors speaking in their native tongues but the point is the location does not necessarily need to be set "there" and I don't want to necessarily be too restrictive. Any advice on this matter? Thanks in advance.

Quote: smudger @ 19th March 2014, 4:12 PM GMT

Declan/Simon.
Just applying finishing touches before submission but want to check your thoughts regarding use of geographical location/regional accents or whether its best not to; and just leave generalised.(?)

I can almost hear my actors speaking in their native tongues but the point is the location does not necessarily need to be set "there" and I don't want to necessarily be too restrictive. Any advice on this matter? Thanks in advance.

If you can hear those voices then we'd love to hear them, too.

Write what excites you, and there's a good chance it'll excite us as well.

Just received my feedback, thanks guys.

One of you appears to be a lot more positive towards my script than the other, and I'm wondering what exactly I should be aiming for when I'm doing my re-write this week.

Would you suggest, whilst attempting to take both pieces of feedback on board, I should write towards making the positive feedback even more positive in order to progress in this competition, or try to adjust the script to try and satisfy someone whose summary suggested I just stop trying to be funny..?

Is it right to assume for this competition that a radio sitcom doesn't have to adhere to the typical televised/staged sitcom set up i.e. a minimal amount of sets.

Obviously I'd still have one familiar location as a setting which binds the characters in some way though.

Cheers!

Quote: UltimoLJ @ 23rd March 2014, 1:18 PM GMT

Just received my feedback, thanks guys.

One of you appears to be a lot more positive towards my script than the other, and I'm wondering what exactly I should be aiming for when I'm doing my re-write this week.

Would you suggest, whilst attempting to take both pieces of feedback on board, I should write towards making the positive feedback even more positive in order to progress in this competition, or try to adjust the script to try and satisfy someone whose summary suggested I just stop trying to be funny..?

Hi Ultimo

Look at the feedback and see if we've both got a point. Sometimes one of us focuses on what's right with the script while the other one focuses on what's wrong with it, in their opinion. The responses will be true in both cases and it's better than us both giving exactly the same note. Either way there'll be positive and negative elements in both crits.

Have a look at what Micheal Jacob said about responding to notes in our blog series: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/64/

And if one of us told you to stop trying to be funny, it would be because the comedy was at the expense of story and/or character. Andrew Jones has some good advice on writing the story as a drama first, keeping it interesting and then adding the comedy later: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/56/

I hope that helps.

Quote: James Salisbury @ 23rd March 2014, 9:50 PM GMT

Is it right to assume for this competition that a radio sitcom doesn't have to adhere to the typical televised/staged sitcom set up i.e. a minimal amount of sets.

Obviously I'd still have one familiar location as a setting which binds the characters in some way though.

Cheers!

Hi James

The first thing to do is to listen to a lot of radio sitcoms and see what the convention is for the world you want to create. Clare in the Community usually uses 2-3 sets while Milton Jones can take us all around the world and back.

Hope that helps.

So just to clarify, it does not matter if it is in TV script or radio script format? I know you want it funny and interesting as well but I can't do everything! :)

I uploaded mine yesterday. :)