Newsjack - Series 9 Page 20

Hey Stephen how do I start a fight in a pub?

Quote: StephenM @ October 1 2013, 11:46 AM BST

. Set-up then punchline.

Should I bring a tool?

Three sketches and ten one liners from me this week.

A page from me. A risky long intro, which I'm sure we will discuss in critque on Thursday

2 sketches and 4 one liners. Quite pleased with my "opinions are like..." But tried to think of a "corrections" for ages and came up with nothing.

Hi comedy peoples I've sent out my first sketches and one liners to Newsjack this week so I look for to checking my email non stop, losing sleep and crying.

Quote: Richard Woolford @ October 1 2013, 5:58 PM BST

Hi comedy peoples I've sent out my first sketches and one liners to Newsjack this week so I look for to checking my email non stop, losing sleep and crying.

Welcome to the club!

It's such a special time... :D

Welcome. To keep stress to a minimum you only really need to do this between 4 and 6 pm on a Thursday.

I think you need to do this to start with in your writing career, but instead of worrying, why not write some sketches/gags for News Revue and The Treason Show? They're topical shows that need material all year around. Key thing is that the more topical stuff you write, the better you'll get at it. Plus they pay money (and you are much more likely to make more from both of those than you will Newsjack.

Point is: the more you write, the better you'll get and the less time you'll have to worry about rejection!

Dan

Absolutely News Revue and Treason run all year long and can be insatiable. So once you're good enough they will almost certainly use your stuff.
News Revue also changes it's whole cast and crew every 6 weeks, so you'll probably get a director who likes your style eventually.

I just got my tickets for the show on 23rd October! Hooray!

Having discovered Newsjack as a BBC Comedy of the Week Podcast during Series 8, I applied for tickets for series 9 and couldn't believe my luck when I got audience tickets to the first three shows of this series.

I enjoyed the first two so much, I decided to submit some material for this week's show. I managed three short sketches (or long one liners....). Whilst I am not holding out much hope to hear any of my material this evening, I secretly hope that I will.

I registered for the forum to use it as an opportunity to apologise to the chap who was also at both the last two recordings for standing in his way at BBC Media Cafe doorway when the crew were inviting us all in to the theatre.

As a novice, I was very keen to get a seat near the front but I wasn't aware that we would be "boarding" in blue sticker number order. With sticker number 88, I ended up partially blocking the doorway to those fortunate souls with stickers 1-50 who were invited to make their way in ahead of us.

When the chap in question asked me to move out of his way, I neglected to apologise and debase myself as I found his manner somewhat brusk and not terribly "Beeb". I did, however, move out of his way so that he could negotiate the 2 metre wide doorway and make his way into the theatre.

I noted that he ended up in the 6th row. I know this as I was sat behind him in row 7.

If the gentleman in question is reading this then I hope that you enjoyed your snooze. Luckily you didn't snore loudly enough to interrupt the recording or my enjoyment thereof. I should probably warn you that your female companion looked pretty disgruntled about your choice of nap timing.

The gentleman in question is probably not reading this... most of us, if we're lucky enough to get tickets, would sit there avidly listening out for any possible sign of our material :D I have been next to some very strange people at radio sitcom recordings who laugh in a very odd 'listen to me' kind of way... very irritating!

I did wonder why he was there, if he just wanted to sleep - but he was at Rada last week too.

Awake.

The most ridiculous thing I heard at Episode 1 was two people complaining about where they were asked to sit. The BBC audience crew managed to get 100's of people in to the Radio Theatre and sat down ready to start within about 6 or 7 minutes.

Considering the tickets were free and the recording involved the talent, the technicians, the assets etc and needed to run to time, I thought it was very rich to loudly complain on the way out that you didnt like being told to sit in the next available seats...

Those are *always* the worst seats though, aren't they?

Dan