What are you watching on TV? Page 2,234

I'm still ploughing my way through Stranger Things, having come to it later than most. The actor playing Dustin is incredibly engaging, I'm completely identifying with him despite having absolutely nothing in common. Well, apart from a love of science.

When he sculpted his bird's nest mass of hair into an elaborate quiff, adding about a foot to his height, for the school prom, and nobody would dance with him and he was sitting there sad and forlorn, I was nearly in tears.

Quote: beaky @ 12th July 2022, 9:42 AM

I'm still ploughing my way through Stranger Things, having come to it later than most. The actor playing Dustin is incredibly engaging, I'm completely identifying with him despite having absolutely nothing in common. Well, apart from a love of science.

When he sculpted his bird's nest mass of hair into an elaborate quiff, adding about a foot to his height, for the school prom, and nobody would dance with him and he was sitting there sad and forlorn, I was nearly in tears.

It's good stuff.
Hope you enjoy the rest of it.
I'm looking forward to when I've forgotten enough of it to watch it all again.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th July 2022, 9:27 AM

Mexican food is appalling.

Color me offended. I eat Mexican food (Tex-Mex for the most part) on a regular basis and I'd be lost without breakfast tacos, carne asada, tamales, fajitas, quesadillas, and guacamole. My city is something like 60% Hispanic (mostly Mexican) and there must be at least a thousand Mexican restaurants here, so it's hard to avoid eating Mexican food - not that I would even try.

I had the worst burrito of my life in England in 2002, but I've noticed a remarkable improvement every subsequent visit. Some of the places in London look completely legit, and there are probably similar places in Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

Quote: DaButt @ 12th July 2022, 2:25 PM

Color me offended. I eat Mexican food (Tex-Mex for the most part) on a regular basis and I'd be lost without breakfast tacos, carne asada, tamales, fajitas, quesadillas, and guacamole. My city is something like 60% Hispanic (mostly Mexican) and there must be at least a thousand Mexican restaurants here, so it's hard to avoid eating Mexican food - not that I would even try.

I had the worst burrito of my life in England in 2002, but I've noticed a remarkable improvement every subsequent visit. Some of the places in London look completely legit, and there are probably similar places in Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

Sorry to offend!
Not had much that's any good over here - but more than aware that might not be a particularly representative sample.
The truth is, I don't 'like' the bulk of the dishes in of themselves - more to do with their make-up and composition - just not my kind of thing.
I like Spanish food - but don't see much of that coming through in Mexican cuisine (that I've had).
I like home made guacamole if that's any consolation!

I do all the cooking in Chez Teddy and I make most of my meals from scratch as don't like produced stuff. Plus with working from home I can prep during the day etc which is a major factor for busy people who work outside the home.
We eat mostly Mediterranean dishes but the contents tend to lend themselves to Mexican so I do like to make Quesadilla's with a watercress red onions chopped sweet peppers Aramatico tomato salad along with a homemade guacamole and harberno wedges.
When it comes to salads I don't make them until five minutes before I plate up as pre prepared salad losses its taste and smell so quickly.

You're making me hungry now.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th July 2022, 2:33 PM

Sorry to offend!

:)

You're probably not being exposed to the entire spectrum of the cuisine. There are regional differences, seafood places, "street" foods, soups, and not everything is presented inside a tortilla and topped with cheese - that's a mostly American creation. Find a big city restaurant that's run by an actual Mexican and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Getting ready to head to my neighborhood grocery store to partake in the other Texas favorite: barbeque. There's a bar and restaurant inside that smokes some damn good meat, and pints are $2 all day/night on Tuesdays. They're normally $6, so I'll save enough money to pay for an Uber. It's only 2.1 miles away, but triple-digit temperatures and several pints of 6.8% IPA make for an unpleasant stroll.

As an example of a typical restaurant in San Antonio, here's the menu at the closest Mexican joint to my house. It's a bit on the upscale side, but they make great margaritas and there's a nice view when it's not too hot to eat outside.

https://aldacosrestaurants.com/locations-stone-oak/menu

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th July 2022, 7:36 AM

I watched Paul Hollywood eats Mexico last night.
Everything they made him looked revolting.
Their secret favourite snack food was a bag of Doritos filled with chilli sauce and extra chilli's and then some more chilli's

Yes, I watched that too, and was alarmed at how he ate anything that was put in front of him.

Back in the late 1970s, a load of us photographic dealers had two weeks in Mexico, courtesy of Nikon - a week in Mexico City and a week in Acapulco - on the house!! Such memories, the main one being able to see and climb the Aztec pyramids - wonderful!

ANYWAY, before this turns into a travelogue, I wanted to say that all the guides warned us NEVER to buy any food in the markets, unless you can peel it. And so, we avoided Montezuma's Revenge, which involves 2 or 3 days on the toilet swearing at yourself for ignoring the warnings.

Quote: DaButt @ 12th July 2022, 2:25 PM

Color me offended. I eat Mexican food (Tex-Mex for the most part) on a regular basis .

AND Tex-Mex is what all the Mexicans in that programme disdained, as though you'd said a swear word!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th July 2022, 3:03 PM

Tex-Mex is what all the Mexicans in that programme disdained, as though you'd said a swear word!

All ethnic food becomes an abomination in the eyes of the originators when it takes hold in a faraway location. I'm sure Indians roll their eyes at UK Indian cuisine, and the same goes for Italian, Chinese, etc.

Welcome back!

Quote: DaButt @ 12th July 2022, 3:20 PM

All ethnic food becomes an abomination in the eyes of the originators when it takes hold in a faraway location. I'm sure Indians roll their eyes at UK Indian cuisine, and the same goes for Italian, Chinese, etc.

Welcome back!

Thank you............not sure for how long - couldn't resist bragging about my free trip to Mexico ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th July 2022, 4:23 PM

Thank you............not sure for how long - couldn't resist bragging about my free trip to Mexico ?

Sounds like a fun trip. I live less than 150 miles from the border, but I've never been to Mexico. It's not very safe, according to friends who used to live there. Someday...

I knew I'd flush you out.....

It was a good program for the wrong reasons. Even to the point that he had armed guards with automatic weapons wherever he went.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th July 2022, 4:36 PM

he had armed guards with automatic weapons wherever he went.

Hence my reluctance to cross the border. It's probably safer to holiday in Ukraine.

That menu looks delicious! I've never been to Mexico, although I'd love to, and my new partner has family in Mexico City, so we might be going there. However, watching Narcos Mexico has made me very wary! I speak good Spanish, which would be a help when negotiating my ransom.

And welcome back, Herc!

Quote: beaky @ 12th July 2022, 4:47 PM

That menu looks delicious! I've never been to Mexico, although I'd love to, and my new partner has family in Mexico City, so we might be going there. However, watching Narcos Mexico has made me very wary! I speak good Spanish, which would be a help when negotiating my ransom.

My neighbor (Mexican-American who speaks Spanish fluently) lived there for two years and said it's a world-class city, but you have to know your way around to be safe. The family could probably fill you in on what's safe and what should be avoided.