What are you watching on TV? Page 2,236

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th July 2022, 12:16 PM

Part 2 Hollywood in Mexico. Insect sarnies and live wasp grubs.
Enough to make you wretch.

Still just about watchable - I thought the Cornish miners bringing the pasty to Mexico was interesting, and "that fence" was mind boggling!

I'm glad I'll be long gone before we HAVE to eat insects for protein!!

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th July 2022, 11:50 AM

Nearly finished and I think this is one of the best dramas the Beeb have done for a long time.
Really well written, nuanced, fantastic performances, looks fantastic and a nice, twisty-turny plot.
I can't recommend it highly enough.
All Eps on the iPlayer.

I loved the whole storyline with Andy Fisher (the train driver). Amazing acting as well.

He's brilliant.
A really unique - yet totally believable - performance
He was great in "The Split"

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th July 2022, 2:52 PM

He's brilliant.
A really unique - yet totally believable - performance
He was great in "The Split"

It was good and it was almost like a who's who of BBC character actors from the last 25 years or so.

Big Bang Theory

I've not watched it for a couple of years as it gets repeated constantly and I'd had enough

But it's reminded just what a brilliant show it was

And the guy who plays Sheldon is just utterly sublime

One of the best sitcom characters ever created

Sheldon is such a good actor in The Big Bang that it felt incongruous to see him laugh uproariously in out takes.

I watched the full series of The Secret Army on the Drama channel (a brilliant drama about the resistance lines during WW11)
And now the off-shoot is showing on Drama Sunday nights called Kessler. In Secret Army he was head of the Gestapo in Brussels but escaped when the Allies took over
After the war, he used stolen money and paintings to set up a huge multi-national business but now the Nazi hunters are after him.

Bloody wokes!

Nigellisima or whatever her latest one is called, good classy cooking show as always yes but she can make me dizzy just looking at her. Like many posh birds she seems to do more moving about while standing still than she does when actually moving. If they made a bobblehead of her its head wouldn't move about as much as hers effing well does.

Quote: zooo @ 23rd July 2022, 9:50 AM

Bloody wokes!

:D Didn't know you made jokes. You've just been promoted in my peoples charts.

"The Phantom of the Open" is out on Sky BoxOffice (might be elsewhere as well)
Typical British movie (true story of little man defeating all the odds etc etc).
Very sweet, some properly funny moments and, actually, quite moving in the end.
It'll be free to view in a month or two, I expect - probably not worth shelling out for until then.
We were annoyed to have missed it at it's cinema release so we splashed out.
Very enjoyable

Suspicion (1941)

Watched this, this afternoon on 2, another film I'd only seen bits of over the years. Just happened to be on and stuck with it, despite it being filmed mostly in America, and you could tell this by the number of British actors who'd emigrated to the States.

American scenery, British RH drive cars for this first Hitchcock film in the U.S. Not bad, with Cary Grant as the ultimate cad and murderer...................or was he?

And the only reason for posting this, is the character played by Nigel Bruce was called Beaky.

The Goodbye Girl
Again.
This time we watched it with my, initially reluctant, 17 year old lad.
He loved it . Most gratifying.
But what's not to love? Possibly the most consistently funny, razor-sharp dialogue ever committed to film.
And with a heart the size of New York.
If you've not seen it, I'm afraid your comedy credentials are incomplete.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd July 2022, 4:25 PM

Suspicion (1941)

Have it in my complete films of Hitchcock collection. A film that nearly destroyed his Hollywood career and made him enemies which some say is why he never got an Oscar. He was forced to change the title and the ending by the studio because Americans can't have their favourite actors playing villains. So in protest, Hitchcock rushed the finish with a totally insincere happy ending. The rest of the film is pretty good as usual.

Leader debate on bbc 1

Two major figures in the Tory party basically accusing each other of being clueless with totally wrong fiscal plans for the country

Sunak is bloody rude too - constantly butting in

How on earth is Liz supposed to spout her drivel if he won't let her speak dammit!!?