Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 3 Page 3

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 30 2013, 1:49 PM GMT

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that one of the show's appeals is the fact that the female lead character is played by a male (what I call the "tranny-factor"). So the book can only be fully appreaciated by the fans by imagining the TV show's look and O'Carroll's way of speaking. So the book must always be closely linked to the TV appearance.
Then it's hard to recreate the slapstick appeal of the show.

You do understand that the novels date from the mid 1990s, don't you? They're not based on the sitcom. And to dismiss the sitcom as mere pratfalls and cross-dressing is to be astonishingly ignorant about how and why comedy appeals to and connects with people. Those derided elements may provide a great number of the laughs, but it's the family dynamic and the stresses and strains on the Brown clan that the public identify with on the level that keeps them tuning in week after week.

Quote: Aaron @ January 30 2013, 2:42 PM GMT

but it's the family dynamic and the stresses and strains on the Brown clan that the public identify with on the level that keeps them tuning in week after week.

If that's the case then society is in bigger trouble I initially thought. No, wait, next time I'll try to identify with Tom & Jerry or better...the Teletubbies.

I may be ignorant to things I don't like and sometimes even provocative but the Browns are definitely not the Trotters...not even the Dad's Army gang.

Indeed not - they're probably more identifiable than the Trotters.

Aren't all the other actors related to him? I've heard of keeping it in the family, but that's ridiculous! Perhaps we could get the Windsors to do a more upmarket version.

They are indeed. Goes back to how the characters and format were developed, particularly with the stage roots, I believe.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001035/mrs_browns_boys_christmas_specials_2013_ordered/

I must say Brendan O'Carroll has got balls. Anyone who can get back on their feet after a £2.2 million film flop about a boxer in the nineties and come back with a complete hit on the BBC in 2012 knows what they are doing.

I don't think having family involved is a bad thing. I think it's that that gives it the dynamic touch. :D

This new series is fantastic. Can't wait for the film to be released.