BBC Transgender Comedy Writing Competition...FFS!! Page 4

:)

The reason for my 'FFS!' in the title is that the BBC is playing everyone for a fool on this one.

Having to write a comedy script for 0.01% of the population based on no other factor except that they exist seems ridiculously ludacris. In comparison, there is a huge Oriental population in the UK, but do they get their own comedy show? If you want to battle discrimination, then there are larger groups with no voice in the mainstream that should be championed ahead of the she-males.

Claims that these people have been under represented is bullshit. From comedies, to dramas to 'documentaries' on BBC Three, these mentally confused gender benders have had loads of coverage. We all know what transgendered means, they have featured heavily in popular culture over the last few decades and every white van man has a story about 'his mate' who went with a tranny in Thailand 'by mistake'. From Tula in the Bond films to Dana International to Chaz Bono, the profile for TGs couldn't be higher.

Conversely, at the same time that the Beeb are trying to make themselves look 'inclusive', they will use the most lurid and sensationalistic aspects of this concept to sell the show. Obviously hoping that the Sun and Daily Mail pick up on the controversy and further promote the hopeless project. This will do for ladyboys what 'Life's Too Short' did for the little people.

So if you want to partake in this exercise of pointless PC nonsense, then you go right ahead but don't for one second think you are being a crusading hero and somehow ending discrimination against 6000 people because you've come up with a few jokes about tits and erections.

Final question - do you honestly think the Beeb will choose a transgendered person to play a transgendered person? Based on the miniscule numbers of trannies and the propensity to sell every show with a star name, it's highly unlikely. It's the new black face everyone, hope you are proud.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 3 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

Having to write a comedy script for 0.01% of the population based on no other factor except that they exist seems ridiculously ludacris. In comparison, there is a huge Oriental population in the UK, but do they get their own comedy show?

No they got the Chinese Detective, that episode of Sherlock with the evil Chinese gymnasts and that really ugly bird on Greys Anatomy.

What more do they want?

The ungratefull almond eyed, noodle slurpers?

Oh and Ken f**king Hom.

nb reading through the initial web page. It turns out that there's been at least one workshop sponsored by the BBC for Trans comedians.

So if that couldn't turn up a sitcom, maybe the transgendered aren't that funny?

And more importantly is this going to encourage young people to eat unhealthy trans fats?

Quote: sootyj @ December 3 2012, 1:12 PM GMT

nb reading through the initial web page. It turns out that there's been at least one workshop sponsored by the BBC for Trans comedians.

As long as they're not wasting my license fee on pointless crap that benefits no one, then I'm happy.

Let's face it, if the TGs are able to get free hormones, counselling and expensive surgery on the NHS, then they should also be entitled to their own comedy workshop and television shows on the BBC. I mean, it's only fair.

Quote: Jinky @ November 30 2012, 11:07 PM GMT

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah JON FUCKING PLOWMAN MIGHT READ YOUR SCRIPT blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I forgot about that, I will whore myself out like a BBC cock sucking whore immediately. Principles are for losers and unsuccessful writers.

Quote: sootyj @ December 3 2012, 1:12 PM GMT

It turns out that there's been at least one workshop sponsored by the BBC for Trans comedians.

So if that couldn't turn up a sitcom, maybe the transgendered aren't that funny?

Maybe it did turn up a sitcom, one which will go on to win this competition.

I'm wearing my cynical pants today.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 3 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

Final question - do you honestly think the Beeb will choose a transgendered person to play a transgendered person?

Sean Lock played a transgendered person in Ideal and Lucy Montgomery played a similar role in The IT Crowd and they are both well-known.....oh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lit1cSptJw

'Trannies,' 'She-males,' 'Mentally confused gender-benders.'

FFS

What an utterly depressing thread.

Quote: Trinder @ December 3 2012, 3:34 PM GMT

What an utterly depressing thread.

Yep and thanks to me highlighting it, here's a writing opportunity that others might have missed. It's a funny old world.

Those wanting to discuss the competition perhaps it might be better to use the original thread posted by Claire Parker:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/26189/

Quote: sootyj @ December 3 2012, 2:59 PM GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lit1cSptJw

MODS!! Somebody's just posted It's Pat on this thread. BAN THEM!!!

(The mods never seem to look at these threads, do they? Unless someone hints at what rip-offs some of these sitcom comps are and then they quickly get threatened with the squeaky 'banning hammer')

Pat is amazing, isn't [spoiler warning] she? One of the few 'transgender' characters in comedy and they decided to make her just about the most unsympathetic and obnoxious character ever.

A script that actually became a movie in the USA but would be set alight if it turned up in this competiton. Wonders will never cease.

(If Claire Parker ever sees this thread then some of us are going to be in detention....)

The Daily Mail faux-outrage is wearing a little thin...

I'm not sure there's much grounds for complaining about "wasting licence fees" on a competition that probably costs about as much as Jeremy Clarkson's fuel bills and might unearth a decent writer capable of writing to a brief even if it doesn't produce a broadcast sitcom. Unless you want them to dissuade them from running any additional niche competitions for writers because of the Writers' Wastebin is clearly giving us more than enough chance already.

We get it, you can't write funny stuff involving transgendered people that isn't insulting to them. Er... that's the raison d'etre of the competition, folks.

"How can I be funny and positive at the same time?" isn't quite the same as "Why can't I rip the piss out of these people?"

If you go and have a look on the forums of the company that set up this competition you'll find people from the transgender 'community' asking exactly the same question. 'Why does it have to be 'positive'?

Take a look at another recent 'minority' comedy, Citizen Khan.

Khan is a ridiculous throwback to the 1970's who goes out of his way to insult white Muslims and African Muslims. Had the BBC set up a 'positive Pakistani' competiton then he wouldn't have won it.

I still think this is doable, albeit a challenge. They could have at least given us a bit of slack and used 'modern' instead of 'positive'!

Many thanks for all your comments. It would be inappropriate for me to respond individually on this thread.

However if anyone is actually thinking of writing a script then please pop over to the www.transcomedyaward.org website where we have been answering questions posed by script writers on the theme of being trans.

There's even a section on what trans people find offensive.

Claire

--------------------------------
Positive thinking and negative thinking are attitudes. They are points of view, and show the way people handle their affairs.

Quote: enigmatic @ December 3 2012, 4:14 PM GMT

We get it, you can't write funny stuff involving transgendered people that isn't insulting to them. Er... that's the raison d'etre of the competition, folks.

I think the real point I was trying to make was that I hate favouritism in all it's guises, especially when it is misguided and politically motivated. Don't get me wrong, based on the gut bustingly funny responses that have been put up on this thread, the Beeb has no worries about finding a brilliant pro-transgender comedy writer. And I wish everyone who enters the competition, the very best of British luck - unless that is viewed as racist, then have the very best of non-specific nationality luck.

Still, no one addressed my other points, they just sought to highlight my 'bad words' in some weirdly hypocritical attempt to look non-judgemental and inclusive.