BBC Transgender Comedy Writing Competition...FFS!! Page 3

How pissed off would you be if you signed release forms for a loved one's organs and you discovered the liver had been stitched into George Best?

Quote: Tursiops @ December 1 2012, 11:58 PM GMT

How pissed off would you be if you signed release forms for a loved one's organs and you discovered the liver had been stitched into George Best?

Actually I'd be chuffed.

It would be like handing over the keys of a cherished vintage car only to discover the new owner had entered it for a demolition derby.

Quote: Tursiops @ December 1 2012, 11:58 PM GMT

The very basis of my first staged play.

Some of the attitudes and outright transphobia in this thread are a neat example of WHY this Award is important.

Oh, I doubt there's any real malice on here. Just people messing about.

Having spent a lot of time researching the topic I did notice quite a lot of...

Q) How many people who are transgender does it take to change a lightbulb?

A) That's not funny.

..amongst the more militant types.

Taking one concept, that the 99.99% of the population who consider themselves 'male' and 'female' should abandon those terms and start calling themselves 'cis' is comedy gold and will have my script going straight in the bin on page one. I find a lot of this topic is just too obscure to be funny about.

If Wikipedia is right, and transvestism is part of the transgender experience, then maybe they are going to be getting lots of Guardian-friendly versions of Mrs Browns Boys!

Quote: Jinky @ December 2 2012, 10:07 AM GMT

Q) How many people who are transgender does it take to change a lightbulb?

It's society that should change, not the lightbulb.

Quote: Michael Richardson @ December 2 2012, 10:27 AM GMT

It's society that should change, not the lightbulb.

You are so going to win this.

Out of interest, how are you going to approach this comp?

The sad thing I s the assumption that the comedic voices do not exist within the trans community not are there voices waiting to be developed

I mean a series of workshops for funny teams people would have factually made sense

This is 5000 smackers and john polwmans tea break

That said I might write an sitcom about a trans pop group

,maybe trans Ferdinand?

Quote: enigmatic @ December 1 2012, 4:03 PM GMT

I'd have said the Kumars at No 42 and Goodness Gracious Me before it were the quintessential examples of popular comedy that portrays minorities in an affirmative manner.

I'd wager they set out to be funny though, rather than affirmative.
(Yes, it was Goodness Gracious Me, my 'bad')

Quote: Jinky @ December 1 2012, 10:55 PM GMT

Going back to the original post, it is quite amazing that this competiton exists to raise the profile of 6,000 people.

That's about the same number as people born in Kosovo that currently live here.

And it's about half the number as there are Irish Travellers in the UK. Now there's a group who get a bad press and could do with some cheering up.

Are you suggesting Big Fat Gypsy Weddings wasn't funny enough or wasn't "affirmative" enough?

Bet more transpeople pay for TV licences though...

You may have misunderstood the concept of 'TV' licences...

Thats the title for the sitcom!

Now write it before someone steals it!

I wonder what on earth will get sent in. I'm guessing.....

- Quite a few of the 2,000 scripts that were rejected the last time the BBC had a competiton but with a transgender character shoe-horned in.

- The usual idiots who never seem to read the competiton rules and send in scripts so offensive that the police get called in.

- A few scripts written by people in the transgender community that are so keen to settle old scores that the police get called in again.

But mostly...the most terrifying thing of all...

- Comedy Drama.

Quote: Michael Richardson @ December 2 2012, 9:41 AM GMT

Some of the attitudes and outright transphobia in this thread are a neat example of WHY this Award is important.

Yeah.
An un-aired comedy pilot will soon sort that out.