BBC Transgender Comedy Writing Competition...FFS!! Page 8

Its also patronising and dishonest

I might have a go at this, I did a transgendered doctors episode which I didn't fancy writing but it was my idea, and an intersex story for them as well. They cast Sarah Douglas in the second one which was nice.

Quote: Marc P @ December 30 2012, 11:18 AM GMT

I might had a go at a transgendered doctor which I didn't fancy but it was my idea, and an intersex for as well. They cast Sarah Douglas in the second one which was nice.

Your f**king insatiable you brute

:)

From the faq on the writersroom website

"At least one of the main characters should be transgender but that doesn't have to present a problem in the character's life and it needn't be the only story arc / theme"

Being trans is not all that I am. I play video games, I write, I like my job, I vote, I have God children, I buy milk, I return the milk to the shop when I find finger nails in it (true story), I love Louis Ck and genuinely hope to marry him, I support Newcastle United (and weirdly, that gets more jokes than anything else), I once kissed william hague on the head, I have been to Texas. Once I fed a horse. Being trans is not all I am.

There used to be a time when, if you stuck a gay person in a show you would have to explain why. This competition is looking to break the whole "circus freak" thing that trans people have to go through. The reason the character is trans is because some people are trans. And yeah, being trans will create unique situations but they are on the same level as Joeys love of sandwiches or Del Boys self importance. Just another part of the character, but not the whole damned character. I was just saying avoid the lazy stereotypes. Why not have a trans man who runs a night club? Or a trans woman who lives on a satelite with an Alien called Bridget? Being trans doesn't have to be the premise!

Yeah this competition is small, but its the first time that I can remember that a major institution has shown any interest in people like me. So naturally, I am following it very closely (and I am entering...but I am not a pro or anything, doing it for the fun and the challenge more than anything, I won't win but I am having a lot of fun :)

Sootyj...you are right in a way. Questioning whether trans people is a thing is totally understandable. Problem is, the case is closed already. We exist, and we are awesome :) The evidence that medical treatment for people like me works is massive. Your skepticism in the face of the british and american medical ascosiations is on the same level as those who argue that vaccines cause autism. The results came in years ago. You are wrong,

Quite weird to say I don't understand jokes because I don't find yours funny. Do I really have to get into why puns, as a rule, are the worst jokes ever and the punchline being "ha, thai lady boys/trannies are freaks" is not particularly funny and marks out the people that do find them funny as deeply ignorant and...not at all funny themselves?

Oh wait, I don't.

I have begun my project, which is aptly named,
People Reeling In Constant Kalamity Like Endless Soul Searchers

Quote: Michelleiscorrect @ December 30 2012, 11:23 AM GMT

I once kissed william hague on the head,

Laughing out loud

Seriously though, it's a writing brief and I'm inclined to think the BBC are hoping to receive quality 'funny' scripts, they will be wise enough to dismiss submissions full of lazy stereotypes. We hope.
I'd say you've got a fighting chance Michelleiscorrect if you do enter as you've displayed an articulate argument and a sense of humour. Good luck :)

Quote: please choose another 1 @ December 30 2012, 11:59 AM GMT

I have begun my project, which is aptly named,
People Reeling In Constant Kalamity Like Endless Soul Searchers

...sigh.

Once I fed a horse.

Is that how you became transgendered?

There used to be a time when, if you stuck a gay person in a show you would have to explain why. This competition is looking to break the whole "circus freak" thing that trans people have to go through.

Well Love Thy Neighbour, Will and Grace, Goodness Gracious Me and more recently 4 lions.

Comedy is always about smashing walls down with some inevitable collateral damage. Laughing at the absurdities and differences then moving on.

If you don't get that then, you don't get comedy. If you don't acknowledge then it's going to be hard for you to get anywhere with your entry.

Sootyj...you are right in a way. Questioning whether trans people is a thing is totally understandable. Problem is, the case is closed already. We exist, and we are awesome :) The evidence that medical treatment for people like me works is massive. Your skepticism in the face of the british and american medical ascosiations is on the same level as those who argue that vaccines cause autism. The results came in years ago. You are wrong,

By the way I'd be very careful about using the BMA or AMA as some sort of unimpeachable gold standard.

They just added argumentativeness as a clinical condition.

Seriously its as much a reflection of which conditions are treatable and profitably treatable as much as anything.

From the faq on the writersroom website

Quite weird to say I don't understand jokes because I don't find yours funny. Do I really have to get into why puns, as a rule, are the worst jokes ever and the punchline being "ha, thai lady boys/trannies are freaks" is not particularly funny and marks out the people that do find them funny as deeply ignorant and...not at all funny themselves?

Actually you'd have a point if I made any of those jokes.

I didn't I will quote the one that was tangentially close.

Quote: sootyj @ November 30 2012, 6:46 AM GMT

I highly doubt the transgendered have a sense of humour

The since of humour is only to be found in the testees and when you h ave then chopped off or turned inside out boom its g one

Miranda hart is a tragic example apparently

Which is an example of ironic overstatement and mocking my own assumed ignorance.

I don't make jokes about Transgendered people being circus freaks. Because not only do I not think it's true, I don't think it's funny.

If the brief is to include a transgendered character then it would be absurd to think that scripts should then go on to be a reverential all understanding tippy toe, no offence, mustn't upset anyone politically correct sermon.

But it's got to be character driven jokes, not just jokes.

Quote: sootyj @ December 30 2012, 12:28 PM GMT

Is that how you became transgendered?

By the way I'd be very careful about using the BMA or AMA as some sort of unimpeachable gold standard.

They just added argumentativeness as a clinical condition.

Seriously its as much a reflection of which conditions are treatable and profitably treatable as much as anything.

Wasn't the horse. Went to see Derren Brown a normal man then next thing....damn that Derren Brown.

And I am going to trust the overall medical consesus that I exist over what you say. Gender dysphoria is not fun, and now I feel so much better. Granted, had to get used to sexism and getting looked at but it is so worth it. They don't do shoes in my size though...

But you are right, comedy is about smashing walls down. But laughing at someone because they are a "dickless man" isnt smashing down anything, it is just painting the wall the same bloody colour that it was before.

I'm not laughing at you for being a dickless man.

You simply made clear that you are, and then made a reference to how potentially you could have lost said apendage by accident.

I myself being a 4x2 am circumcised. If I'd made a similar remark about feeding horses.

I'd have expected someone here to make a joke about,
"ohthat's how you got circumcised"

Humour is about owning and exploiting your identity. And being fearless it's why Hayley off of Corrie is such a dead end as a character.

Quote: Michelleiscorrect @ December 30 2012, 12:39 PM GMT

Went to see Derren Brown a normal man then next thing....damn that Derren Brown.

Now that earns a booyah off of me.

...sorry dude, your joke sucked. And it was offensive to just about everyone, but it was the kind of thing Gervais would throw away.

In your opinion.

Albeit you made essentially the same joke albeit substituting Deren Brown for a horse.

Quote: sootyj @ December 30 2012, 12:44 PM GMT

I'm not laughing at you for being a dickless man.

You simply made clear that you are, and then made a reference to how potentially you could have lost said apendage by accident.

...I am not a dickless man, I am a woman and havent made any references to my genitals (and would love to not talk about them, seriously, why do people think it is cool to ask intimate questions about my bits because I am trans?).

When did I reference losing anything in an accident? U have confused me now.

Quote: sootyj @ December 30 2012, 12:46 PM GMT

In your opinion.

Albeit you made essentially the same joke albeit substituting Deren Brown for a horse.

I was talking about the miranda hart joke. A horse that changes peoples gid is funny, but didnt really like ur miranda hart joke because it was a bit harsh on her (a normal looking woman? ON TELLY MY GOD) even though I am not a fan of her show either.