BBC Transgender Comedy Writing Competition...FFS!! Page 2

Its probably john the ploughman a 7 foot agricultural labourer from Cornwall who used to be a lady

Who can't read

Quote: sootyj @ November 30 2012, 11:10 PM GMT

Its probably john the ploughman a 7 foot agricultural labourer from Cornwall who used to be a lady

Who can't read

Hmmm...that's a point.

I read the comments like 'FFS' and 'Diktat' etc as jokes, to be honest.

Back to the opportunity, I think it's great the Beeb and the other people are doing this. So much transphobia (well, phobias about flipping everything) about, nice to see transexual people get a chance to have their voice heard.

Quote: Feeoree @ November 30 2012, 11:24 PM GMT

nice to see transexual people get a chance to have their voice heard.

That's enough about your mum, are you entering the competiton or what???

Quote: Poirot @ November 30 2012, 9:30 PM GMT

Asking people to write on a specific scheme IN A PARTICULAR MANNER does sound like a diktat to me.

I wasn't getting into the discussion of how appropriate or necessary this is but now that you invite me to so so I will. It is licence-payers money so you have to question how relevant this is for the needs of the community as a whole. There are more stamp-collectors than transgender persons, does that mean the BBC has to commission programmes encouraging positive views of stamp-collectors?

I'm not sure that indicating your transgendered character and/or theme should be portrayed in an "affirming" manner really counts as a diktat, except perhaps in the same sense that if you want your edgy racial-tension-based script to get a reading on the Beeb, you'd probably better deliver something with more depth and sensitivity than recycled Bernard Manning jokes.

It's not like their brief says "your transgendered character must be the central character, must have an astonishing repertoire of witty one liners, must also be from an ethnic minority and/or disabled and should be given a standing ovation from the studio audience each time they appear on screen". They've just hinted that "hey look, it's a woman that looks a bit like a man... how very funny" or "god I wouldn't want to have sex with that" jokes probably don't belong in this competition. Or this millennium, for that matter.

Interpret it as a belated apology for Little Britain, if you like...

Quote: StephenM @ November 30 2012, 7:28 PM GMT

I am slightly perturbed by some of the reactions on here. Is it so wrong the BBC are wanting to present a positive image of a particular group?

I think it's misguided. Look at how well The Kumars at No. 42 worked, without trying to be positive or affirming; sketches like "going for an English" succeeded in making the white majority examine their attitudes towards Indians, without ever promoting that minority.

Last year I wrote a full feature length script set in Bangkok!!

the she-males have to be portrayed in a positive light...

Bugger :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 29 2012, 8:02 PM GMT

Bangkok's Half Hour

Laughing out loud

I doubt I could come up with a positive depiction of a transgender person that topped "Mr Garrison's Fancy New Vagina".

It's a shame that they didn't include Otherkin in the brief.

A comedy about people who think they are cartoon characters (amongst other things) would practically write itself.

I think I'll write a 30 minute version of 'Carry on Camping' where everybody just stares at each other because they are all asexual.

Quote: Nogget @ December 1 2012, 10:21 AM GMT

Look at how well The Kumars at No. 42 worked, without trying to be positive or affirming; sketches like "going for an English" succeeded in making the white majority examine their attitudes towards Indians, without ever promoting that minority.

I'd have said the Kumars at No 42 and Goodness Gracious Me before it were the quintessential examples of popular comedy that portrays minorities in an affirmative manner. You're supposed to find the characters mostly likeable and laugh with them some of the time as well as at personal foibles they might have, rather than them being mere props for the audience to point and laugh at the concept of Asians.

I just stumbled upon this after writing it and now it's going to be my entry.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/26260/

Going back to the original post, it is quite amazing that this competiton exists to raise the profile of 6,000 people.

That's about the same number as people born in Kosovo that currently live here.

And it's about half the number as there are Irish Travellers in the UK. Now there's a group who get a bad press and could do with some cheering up.

Of course with the way the NHS works it maybe easier to get your penis turned into a vagina.
As opposed to the therapy to persuade you that this may be an eccentric decision.

I suppose that might happen, after all they gave George Best a new liver, but he still died because he needed a new mindset.