The general pop/rock - music thread Page 161

Happy birthday, champ!

Happy birthday Champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFLWuuH_50

(Bill Nelson that is!)

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy performs Fairytale of New York with Chris Thile, The Staves, Sarah Jarosz, Punch Brothers, Rich Dworsky, and Ted Poor. They apparently left out the naughty bits. Political correctness and all...

Does anyone recommend the Beatles "Love" album?

I usually detest all that remixing cobblers..

But it sounds interesting from small bits I've heard

Quote: lofthouse @ 30th December 2017, 2:41 PM

Does anyone recommend the Beatles "Love" album?

I usually detest all that remixing cobblers..

But it sounds interesting from small bits I've heard

Asked the same question a few years ago and someone here (one of the other music nerds) recommended it to me. But I still haven't managed to buy it.

I'm still in Pink Floyd mode so I bought "Live In Gdansk" by Dave Gilmour and "The Wall" (Live, 2015) by Roger Waters today.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th December 2017, 2:59 PM

Asked the same question a few years ago and someone here (one of the other music nerds) recommended it to me. But I still haven't managed to buy it.

Can only think that was me GB (?)

George Martin and his son Giles (mostly) of course.

As we used to say in the 60s - FAB!

https://vimeo.com/150617067

I bought it years ago and I think I played it about twice. No reflection or how good or bad it was. I just don't know where it is now.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th December 2017, 7:58 PM

(I loved Mott the Hoople)

Me too. Mott and The Hoople were 2 of my favourite albums when they came out, and I regret not holding on to them. I do have a copy of the excellent double LP compilation Shades of Ian Hunter - The Ballad of Ian Hunter & Mott the Hoople, and also Ian's solo album, Short Back n' Sides which didn't do much for me.

I've been listening to tracks from some of Mott's 5 earlier albums on YouTube (just on random Autoplay) and have been really impressed the the quality, so I intend to try and pick up some of those albums.

Anyway, here's a funny clip of them on an Austrian tv show, miming to Roll Away The Stone - great quality pic & sound.

Chappers, wonder if you can identify the stand-in drummer without checking the comments section? :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th December 2017, 9:24 PM

I've been listening to tracks from some of Mott's 5 earlier albums on YouTube (just on random Autoplay) and have been really impressed the the quality, so I intend to try and pick up some of those albums.

I have the debut album and it's absolutely fantastic, I prefer it to Mott and The Hoople. I found it at the local flea market.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th December 2017, 9:58 PM

I have the debut album and it's absolutely fantastic, I prefer it to Mott and The Hoople. I found it at the local flea market.

Cheers, Gordon. That's helpful.

btw if you've looked at the clip, I think you're also a fan of the band that the drummer belongs to, though you may not know what he looks like. ;)

Was it Cozy Powell? Anyway I recognised Thunder Thighs. I saw MTH live a few years back and have a CD of the show which they made available immediately afterwards.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st December 2017, 12:10 AM

Was it Cozy Powell?

Apparently the drummer in the footage is Simon Fox (Hackensack/ Be-Bop Deluxe).

I saw MTH live a few years back and have a CD of the show which they made available immediately afterwards.

Was that the reunion gig they did at Hammersmith a few years ago?

Ian still seems to gig quite a bit.

"Fast" Eddie Clarke has passed away. The entire classic Motorhead lineup has now departed this mortal coil.

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/Entertainment/motorhead-guitarist-fast-eddie-clarke-dead-67/story?id=52295041

The Geraldine Fibbers were the greatest band you never heard of. Some kind soul just uploaded a video of their performance in Los Angeles in 1996 and it's fantastic. It's the band's original lineup, along with guest guitarist Nels Cline (Wilco), who would later join as a full member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnGo24DVMx8

RIP Dolores O'Riordan