The general pop/rock - music thread Page 165

File under Quo, Status.

No - they come under my (loads of) S's.

Ringo Starr's playing Rome this Summer and I'm in two minds about going. I'd love to see an ex-Beatle, but at this point it might better to've seen none of them. 'Yes my grandchild, I saw a Beatle play live.' - AWESOME dude! Which one? - 'Ringo.' - Oh ffs. Doesn't count.

I've never worked out what the gag means in Red Dwarf when Holly is talking about Ringo Starr in an alternative dimension and says "...or Ringo could have been a really good drummer". I'm not a fan of the Beatles so don't know if this means he was a really bad drummer and in an alternative reality he's a really good drummer or he was a good drummer and in an alternative reality he was a really good drummer. I'm guessing it's the former because he's no Stewart Copeland or Keith Moon.

I used to know a semi-pro drummer who told me something very interesting about Ringo: Starr was technically very basic, but that made him perfect for the Beatles. When you have too much talent in one band, it implodes or blocks: the lyricism of Lennon and the melodic sensibility of Paul were more than enough for one outfit, so they needed someone who was competent (he CAN play) but not overly present. Plus, Ringo added the human element: his laid-back attitude and sense of humour were a perfect foil to Lennon-McC's greatness and Harrison's grumpiness. It's a paradox but if they'd had a drummer with the talent of Phil Collins or the balls of John Lydon, they could never have made all those lovely songs... It's significant that they proactively asked him in when they already had a good performer, Pete Best. There's a story they once asked, Can you play solos? Any other musician would say, F**k yeah, 54660-hour solos! Ringo shrugged: I'm not really into that. I just like to keep the beat to a good song.

Am I going senile? I recently saw something about this. Is Ringo the best drummer in the world? No - he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles.

This was apparently attributed to Jasper Carrott. Ringo was supposedly a great technical drummer who the others respected whilst Pete Best was too good looking.

Or did I read that here?

Just found this while youtube hopping. When I hear it I always think of Dumb And Dumber when Lloyd cries because Harry decides to walk home :D

Crash Test Dummies - MMM MMM MMM MMM

Van Halen's self-titled debut was released 40 years ago today. Man, that makes me feel old.

Listening to a Small Faces compilation. Tin Soldier one of my favourite songs ever.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th February 2018, 3:51 PM

Van Halen's self-titled debut was released 40 years ago today. Man, that makes me feel old.

Fantastic, powerful and somewhat dark album. I could do without the cover of You Really Got Me though, completely unnecessary, they had enough strong original material.

One Direction say 'People criticise us because they're negative and probably jealous.' Not cos your music's such a piece of f**king shit then.

Quote: beaky @ 10th February 2018, 8:04 PM

Listening to a Small Faces compilation. Tin Soldier one of my favourite songs ever.

It is quite brilliant. Only 25% left alive. Such a shame.

Roy Orbison touring Britain in April :S

https://www.seetickets.com/tour/roy-orbison

Love the new one from Kylie. I met her once at Watford bus station when she was travelling incognito. It was part of a Channel 4 project that fell through.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th February 2018, 1:28 AM

Love the new one from Kylie. I met her once at Watford bus station when she was travelling incognito. It was part of a Channel 4 project that fell through.

That's right! She mentioned it in bed the other night, when we had just "finished" and were having a fag. Lovey