The general pop/rock - music thread Page 158

He's practically edited out of the final mix.
I got into NO through the triple whammy of Substance, Technique and Electronic. Then it was the triple bolox of Repubelick, The Rest Of and Raise the Pressure and Things Would Never Be The Same Again.

You really need to hear Low Life. One of my favourite albums of all time. It has a couple of Substance tracks but a lot more rocky versions.

Sad that there isn't impromptu bursts of group expression in music shops like this anymore.

I'm not so sure about the opening line "All the boys may turn me on, but I let temptation slide" Errr

Quote: Chappers @ 4th September 2017, 7:48 PM

You really need to hear Low Life. One of my favourite albums of all time. It has a couple of Substance tracks but a lot more rocky versions.

New Order are the most overrated band in history and LowLife is their most overrated album. The first side is awesome but four songs is hardly The White Album, and the editing of The Perfect Kiss makes Razormaid sound like Trevor Horn. The second side is 1) boring, 2) average, 3) the joys of an adult guy talking about jerking off, 4) possibly the messiest, crappiest, unfocussedest pile of pooh ever to leave the studio.
When I say NO are overrated people misunderstand and think it means they're shit (obviously they aren't) or I dislike them (obviously I don't). It simply means the comments about them you can take are leave - but are not borne out by the quality and quantity of their actual music. Here are some genuine professional journo quotes I remember verbatim: now even as a superfan, put your hand on your heart and say, Yes indeed:
1. 'The most important band since the Beatles or the Stones.' (Everyone knows it's the Spice Girls.)
2. 'They dominate the charts like no other group.' (One number one single in 40 years and they needed the full weight of footie frenzy and an outside writer.)
3. ''Electronic' is one of the greatest albums ever made.' (FUCK.)
4. (my personal favourite) 'New Order are our finest band, incapable of making anything less than a great record. Indeed, Republic shows they're currently making the strongest music of their lives. I also love Revenge, Electronic and the Other Two with a passion.' Revenge are, in the words of Oscar Wilde, total and utter f**king shit. So was Republic. And the Other Two have managed two albums in 25 years and they're both shit.
5. 'New Order were the most important band in the 80s, just like Electronic for the 90s. Bernard is a new Brian Eno, the only genius currently working in music.' BOLOX.
6. 'The inventors of 80s music, and pretty much everything else.' This seems to be based on one song they wrote in 1982 and stole off Moroder.

So we agree then!

There's a fascination around NO and it doesn't match the actual songs. In my youth (recently, then) I was obsessed by what was around them - Joy Division, the f**k-the-press attitude, one-off collaborations, Factory, Tony Wilson, Peter Saville, the Hassie and Dry Bar, even the beautiful information-free sleeves to take that lovely vinyl out of, and then the enigmatic song-titles: Truth, Denial, Dream Attack etc so hardly When Will I Be Famous or I Should Be So Lucky... When I went to uni I couldn't drag all that vinyl up so I made a cassette of my fave take on each track (no remixes unless they had the full vocal and totally different music). Just listening to it stripped of all the shenanigans, I was struck by how few actual songs there are - and how dull they tend to be. Movement is fairly dull, Sooner Than You Wank is quite dull, and Republic makes Joy Division sound like the Spice Girls. It's all hype.
No one in England, the world, the universe gives a f**king fkying f**king f**k that I did this.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th September 2017, 3:02 PM

No one in England, the world, the universe gives a f**king fkying f**king f**k that I did this.

I agree entirely.

The true joy of pop music is not its intrinsic worth, but its nostalgic and evocative qualities... You must have been there: you hear a track and even if you don't like it think, OMG: this takes me back - I was doing THIS thing in THAT place and felt THIS way, and boy, things really were totally and utterly f**king shit. But now, things really are total and utter f**king shit too. And since then till now, things really have been just total and utter f**king shit as well. And even before that song (which is, in itself, total and utter f**king shit) things were indeed total, utter f**king shit... I wonder what the future holds. Thanks music, you're AWESOME.

I've always been a big fan of Yes but they are now split into 2 different bands. Earlier this year I saw the Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman lineup which was a great concert. However the rival lineup featuring Howe, White and Downes will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next year.

I think they need to bury their respective hatchets and celebrate their 50th as a massive lineup similar to their Union tour of 1991. As it is you have a group of brilliant musicians touring some smaller venues when their status demands arenas.

Goldfrapp's 'Rocket'. I suspect it would've been more poorly received if they changed the gender arrangement. 'Yeah, me bird's been gettin' well on me nerves lately, always bleedin' naggin', plus I reckon she's doin' the dirty on me. So what I done right, I wrap the silly cow in cellophane, shove 'er in me truck, and all the time we're drivin' along, just ferra larff I got this model of 'er 'angin' off the rear view mirror! F**king hilarious, she's shittin' 'esself! Then I drags 'er along the desert, me and me mates dance to this well awesome club anthem I wrote specially for the occasion, and then I straps the useless tart to this rocket and it f**ks right off! Silly bitch won't be botherin' ME again! Next time some bird winds me up, I'll do the same, see if she can stop me. I reckon I just found a solution to relationship an' marriage problems an' shit.' He'd be locked up. www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJppnG1tflU

Rest in peace, Tom Petty.

Damn. :(

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd October 2017, 8:59 PM

Rest in peace, Tom Petty.

Damn. :(

Oh no! Yes - RIP.

I can't see anything saying he's actually died.

Updates.

"We're told after Petty got to the hospital he had no brain activity and a decision was made to pull life support. "

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd October 2017, 9:01 PM

Oh no! Yes - RIP.

I can't see anything saying he's actually died.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-who-led-the-heartbreakers-dead-at-66-w506651

Yes, but another source says it's all a hoax.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd October 2017, 9:10 PM

Yes, but another source says it's all a hoax.

CBS News has confirmed his death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/