The general pop/rock - music thread Page 159

http://en.mediamass.net/people/tom-petty/deathhoax.html

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd October 2017, 9:11 PM

CBS News has confirmed his death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/

Yes, looks like he's really dead.:(

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd October 2017, 9:13 PM

Yes, looks like he's really dead.:(

Not so fast. The police department which confirmed the death now says that they had no such information. TMZ says that he's brain dead and not expected to live through the day, but supposedly he's still alive.

How was the Wilco gig, DaButt?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 3rd October 2017, 8:37 AM

How was the Wilco gig, DaButt?

It was as close to perfect as I could possibly imagine.

The venue was a new-ish performing arts center and it was my first time seeing a performance there. Our seats were in the center of the third row, so we were about 8 feet from the stage and there was no oppressive barrier between us and the band. Security seemed to be no more than a few older volunteers, and they were all very friendly and helpful. Overall, it was an elegant and respectful atmosphere.

Jeff Tweedy didn't say a word to the audience for the first 30-45 minutes, although you could tell that he was intently scanning and scrutinizing the crowd on what had been a tragic and terrible day (Las Vegas and Tom Petty). It probably didn't help that everyone remained seated for the first two songs, but when they kicked into "Art of Almost" everyone rose to their feet and remained standing for the rest of the show. Eventually Tweedy addressed the audience and mentioned the day's tragic events and then emotionally stated that nothing would ever scare him away from performing. He said that performing music in front of an audience might be the only thing he actually believes in and made a point that it was all about us, together. The bond was made, and from that point onward, he was grinning and the rest of the gig sailed by blissfully. I'm a bit sad because they have announced that they're taking a break in 2018, but last night's show was a positive, if temporary, farewell.

We went backstage after the show and spent about 30 minutes chatting to my friend about his guitar collection, my kids, the good old days, and his touring plans for 2018. He's such a gentle, sweet guy, and my neighbors were very impressed.

Opener Margaret Glaspy was great, and she told a funny Petty-related story. Nothing but Tom's songs played over the PA before, between and after the bands' sets last night.

Oh yeah, Jeff Tweedy is sporting hair down past his shoulders. Apparently he's not going to get it cut until Trump is out of office. He'll look like Willie Nelson if The Donald manages to get reelected.

Wilco played a Tom Petty cover last night in Irving, Texas.

As a fan of the Move ever since I heard Night of Fear I am listening for the first time to Something Else by the Move which I've only just bought.

Some great live songs. Originally I think it was a 5 track EP but the CD I've got is an expanded version.

They must've been an incredible band to watch live. I only saw Roy Wood with Wizzard once though.

RIP Fats Domino
:(

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th October 2017, 10:29 PM

RIP Fats Domino

One of the originators and my father's favorite. It's amazing that we're just beginning to lose pioneers like Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, while bands from the 60s and 70s have been decimated. Hell, all of the original Ramones are gone and only one was due to misadventure.

Hang in there, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis...

Speaking of pioneers, Beavis & Butt-Head creator Mike Judge has a new animated series on Cinemax called "Tales from the Tour Bus" that chronicles the adventures and misadventures of classic country performers like George Jones. It uses animated interviews with band/family members and their contemporaries that are intermixed with live performance footage. The alcohol/drug-fueled stories are uncensored and hilarious. Check it out if you can find a way to view it in the UK.

Here's the first episode, but I don't know if it's available outside of the U.S.:

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th October 2017, 10:29 PM

RIP Fats Domino

Amen to that, although with his importance I think he deserved his own thread. :(

Yes, Rest In Peace Mr. Domino, you gave me many happy memories.

RIP Malcolm Young. :(

Anyone heard the Nick Knowles album? Fantastic. The next Diy SOS Big Build should be his mantlepiece-for his Grammys.

Nick Knowles, Shane Richie and Bradley Walsh all seem to have albums out.
It's a golden age in music.

Quote: zooo @ 18th November 2017, 8:17 PM

Nick Knowles, Shane Richie and Bradley Walsh all seem to have albums out.
It's a golden age in music.

A supergroup awaits

I bought a couple of CDs on line from America and as a makeweight I ordered The Best of the McCoys.

Everybody knows "Hang on Sloopy" and I didn't know much else. I read the liner notes and had forgotten that Rick Zehringer - later Derringer - was the singer and guitarist. Some very good pop songs. Also mentored by Richard Gottehrer who was involved with Blondie.

But of course you probably already knew this.

No I didn't but did you know Hendrix played lead guitar on Hang On Sloopy? although I'm not sure if it was the single release version or a demo. I had it once on a cassette tape of pre famous Hendrix recordings playing session lead on well known bands' records of the time - mid to late 60s, and my, was he prolific as well as being very good. Check out his Isley Brothers stuff, very good. There's reported to be similarly rare recordings of Jimmy Page playing session lead on bands' records of the same period, one you'll know well is the Kinks' 1964 chart hit You Really Got Me. It's no coincidence that that famous riff is acknowledged to be the first heavy metal guitar recording. That's all for now pop fans. Cool :D