The general pop/rock - music thread Page 162

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th January 2018, 6:47 PM

RIP Dolores O'Riordan

I was just getting ready to post that. I'm sure the Zo-m-bie memes are already flying through cyberspace. I hope they don't linger.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 15th January 2018, 6:47 PM

RIP Dolores O'Riordan

The voice of an angle. Dolores O'Riordan was a survivor of childhood abuse. She has an interesting back story. Poor soul, 46.

This video from Guitar Player magazine mesmerized me.

Nels Cline follows two distinct tracks in his guitar playing, alternating the avant-jazz arc he explores solo along with the psychedelic-punk-freakout textures he brings to Wilco. Here are the five riffs that changed his life, and inspired his own fearless fretting.

"Turn! Turn! Turn!" - Byrds

"I had to listen carefully to see what was going on here," says Cline. "I learned later in life that I have this great love--as does much of western culture--with the major ninth. I think that sound, which has to do with the idiomatic aspects of open strings on a guitar, is what created the term 'jingle jangle'--not just the timbre of a 12-string, but the sound of ringing, open strings. That sound is irresistible."

"Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" - Yardbirds

"This is one of the most marvelous and exciting and colorful recorded performances of a song. If you think about audio engineering at that time--which was a 4-track deck, I'm sure--I don't even know how they did it. There are so many crazy things going on with the guitar. It's sort of like satellite Sputnik psychedelia. It still gives me a rush."

"Manic Depression" - Jimi Hendrix Experience

"This is the song that convinced me I was going to play guitar. When you hear the intro riff, and all the other stuff he does in the solo, he goes completely mad. I was sold. There was no way I was not going to do music for life after that. It was like being jolted with electricity--like flying--and it still feels like that every time I hear it."

"Marquee Moon" - Television

"'Marquee Moon' is a veritable feast of memorable and influential guitar riffs. Tom Verlaine's long guitar solo ends in one of the most memorable examples of a mixolydian scale in its most rudimentary form, and it sounds like absolute poetry. Then, there's this beautiful, John Cipollina-influenced thing he plays with his finger, but I do it with the bar. That's where I get my penchant for the 'wiggle'--which I use all over songs like Wilco's 'Impossible Germany.'"

"West Germany" - Minutemen

"The Minutemen had an incredibly diverse, poetic vision. I played on a double bill at McCabe's Guitar Shop with them in the '80s with Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra. I found D. Boon's note choices and phrasing to be almost spooky. His presence, charisma, power, and commitment was galvanizing."

I love it when pop stars disappear for 5 years and when they return it's all 'Have you still got it?' and they always say, 'Sure! I just played back the new album and it's AWESOME so don't worry...' What do you expect them to say? 'No, you're right, I f**king SUCK. Boy, am I shit! I am total and utter f**king shit, in fact I just heard the new album and it really f**king is total and utter f**king shit, f**k me, even I think it's shit and I f**king wrote it, f**k knows what anyone else will think of it, I'm ashamed of myself, DON'T BUY IT, do yourselves a favour, there's a great new album out by Muse, buy that instead please. I FUCKING SUCK.'

RIP Jim Rodford - formerly of Argent and the Zombies.

http://www.culturesonar.com/10-best-elvis-costello-songs/

Mark E Smith of The Fall has passed away at 60.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/mark-e-smith-dead-aged-11909427

:(

Spooky coincidence, been thinking about listening to my Fall compilation for days.

Catalogueing my CDs yesterday and got to F. Three Fall CDs only. He was always extremely interesting and produced some great records. RIP Mark E.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th January 2018, 10:56 PM

Catalogueing my CDs yesterday and got to F.

Are you counting the nails in your garden shed next? :D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 25th January 2018, 6:45 PM

I love Supergrass. What a shame they disbanded.

Check out Gaz's solo album, Matador. Possibly my album of the year for 2015.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th January 2018, 9:22 PM

I saw the reviews and meant to buy it but never got around to it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th January 2018, 11:30 PM

Are you counting the nails in your garden shed next? :D

Nails? I've got 20 - and they're all my own!

Quote: Chappers @ 25th January 2018, 10:13 PM

Nails? I've got 20 - and they're all my own!

In that case, just for you my love..........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBwOKskVy0

Cool

Paul McCartney playing the same stage as Mel C! AWESOME! Founding member of the greatest, most influential band of all time, AND Paul McCartney!

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th January 2018, 9:22 PM

Thanks mate.