The general pop/rock - music thread Page 143

Quote: Chappers @ 31st October 2016, 7:37 PM

I've known about this for a while. I don't know if I'll get to see them but I'm considering Brighton and Guildford.

I've already Pledged for the new album and ordered my 40th anniversary picture disc of New Rose.

The New Rose picture disc arrived today.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th November 2016, 2:39 PM

The New Rose picture disc arrived today.

Maybe a stupid question: vinyl?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 9th November 2016, 2:41 PM

Yes. 7 inches of plastic. It has a different B-side. "Amen" live replacing "Help" live on the original one.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 9th November 2016, 2:41 PM

Even Lidl have jumped on the vinyl bandwagon.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/supermarket-chain-lidl-starts-selling-turntables-97792

I've been playing a lot more of my vinyl now that I finally got around to buying a new turntable (not the Lidl one). What's rather nice is that as well as my original collection, I picked up a lot of cheap records over the last few years from charity shops before the vinyl revival took off - harder and more expensive to pick up bargains these days.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 9th November 2016, 4:34 PM

Even Lidl have jumped on the vinyl bandwagon.

I have friends in bands who are being affected by the surge in popularity. There are only a few record pressing plants still open and they're flooded with orders.

Quote: DaButt @ 9th November 2016, 4:47 PM

I have friends in bands who are being affected by the surge in popularity. There are only a few record pressing plants still open and they're flooded with orders.

Same over here. It's created a backlog.

I don't buy any of those new pressings. They're way too expensive. I'd much rather trawl the second hand record shops such as those I've visited over the last year in Norwich, Brighton, Herne Bay and Whitstable plus you can still pick up the odd bargain in Charity Shops.

RIP Leonard Cohen.
:(:(

Happy f**king birthday, Neil Young (71)!

Long may you run.

I nearly forgot it's 2016...

RIP Leon Russell

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th November 2016, 4:07 PM

I nearly forgot it's 2016...

RIP Leon Russell

I hadn't seen this. I was first aware of him on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen Joe Cocker album.

One of the unsung greats of pop/rock music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-100-greatest-debut-albums-of-all-time-20130322/licensed-to-ill-19691231

I must be going soft in my old age. I bought a CD box set of 5 Fairport Convention albums and listening through them now. Sandy Denny really had such a beautiful voice.

Today's recommended reading is Steve Jones' biography for its articulate, insightful and informative commentary on the composition process, the Pistols' continued relevance and of course the socio-political, economic strife of the period: 'F**k, this f**king photo must be from one of those f**king gigs we f**king did, I don't f**king remember, you think I had a f**king diary for f**k's sake, I was too f**king pissed anyway. F**k, what a f**king photo.'

My favourite song at the moment is the Cure, 'Friday I'm in love.' 'Monday's black, Tuesday, Wednesday heart attack...' Had a bad day followed by two fatal cardiac arrests? Never mind. Soon it'll be the weekend. You can have a beer and maybe meet an attractive lady. Makes up for having your insides explode.

Saturday afternoon is fleamarket time!:

Rainbow Bridge - Jimi Hendrix

Duets - Elton John

Two Rooms - Elton John

Good Times Are So Hard To Find: The History Of Blue Cheer - Blue Cheer

Sounds From The Fourth World - Calvin Russell

BBC Sessions/Live At Reading Festival '86 - Saxon