The general pop/rock - music thread Page 145

I'm definitely not going to buy the Stones latest. ... BOO!

I' m getting it as a Christmas present.... HOORAY!

Quote: wigwam willy @ 10th December 2016, 9:22 PM

I'm definitely not going to buy the Stones latest. ... BOO!

I' m getting it as a Christmas present.... HOORAY!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 10th December 2016, 9:17 PM

Weeeeell...
I'm trying to buy my stuff as cheap as possible so I'm comstantly on the look out. Sometimes there's this urge that makes me buy something to a relatively high price, a brandnew Sones album or a hard to find Little Feat cd for example, instead of being patient and wait for a special offer.

"Why did you happen to buy those three albums now?"
I'm trying to complete my ELP collection for some time now. I saw the new ELP deluxe editions to a very good price in my local store, so I decided to buy their 74 live album. Coincidentally Greg Lake died the next day. :(
I found Nugent's second album in a bargain bin at the same store on the very same day. I bought that as well and liked it. So I did a little research on Ted Nugent on the homepage of my favourite online store (a Swiss one) and found his debut to a very low price. Ted Nugent's no nonsense approach to r'n'r made me suddenly think of J. Geils so I searched for them as well and found that beauty called Blow Your Face Out to a good price.
That's how it works most of the time. A mix of opportunity/special offer, impulse, associative thinking and the will to fill the important gaps in my collection.

Where do I find my stuff?
1. The local store I mentioned.
2. the swiss online store I mentioned and amazon(.com/co.uk/.fr/.it)
3. flea market (I have some good connections there)

Thanks! Interesting!

Maybe you should contact the members of older bands before you fill the gaps in your collection, warning them what happened to Greg Lake. Maybe they'll send you some freebies to stop you from buying their stuff. :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 10th December 2016, 9:56 PM

Maybe you should contact the members of older bands before you fill the gaps in your collection, warning them what happened to Greg Lake. Maybe they'll send you some freebies to stop you from buying their stuff. :)

:D

But: I don't necessarily have to buy their records to kill them. I once high fived Frank Tovey at a Fad Gadget concert, he was dead within six months. Then I went to a Megadeth gig, shortly afterwards Dave Mustaine was involved in a career threatening car accident. Sad but true. I'm rock n roll's worst nightmare.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 10th December 2016, 10:05 PM

:D

But: I don't necessarily have to buy their records to kill them. I once high fived Frank Tovey at a Fad Gadget concert, he was dead within six months. Then I went to a Megadeth gig, shortly afterwards Dave Mustaine was involved in a career threatening car accident. Sad but true. I'm rock n roll's worst nightmare.

Have you thought of taking up a different hobby, like quilting? :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 10th December 2016, 8:26 PM

I don't know their others, so I can't compare it, but I liked it a lot on first listen.

Nice. Where do you tend to buy your stuff online? How do you decide what to buy when - if you see what I mean ie you probably have a huge Wish List? Why did you happen to buy those three albums now? Are you deal/offer orientated?

Have you not tried Discogs?

https://www.discogs.com/

Just put in a band name and it will list all of their stuff with most of it available to buy from somewhere in the world. I've bought loads of stuff there.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 10th December 2016, 9:40 PM

I still regard him as ex-Faces and a recent member of the Stones.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th December 2016, 8:06 PM

Have you not tried Discogs?

https://www.discogs.com/

Just put in a band name and it will list all of their stuff with most of it available to buy from somewhere in the world. I've bought loads of stuff there.

Cheers!

I was just being nosey about Gordon's buying habits and methodology really.

I've never really got into online shopping. In total, I've probably bought less than 10 cds that way, and easily less than 10 books, less than 10 dvds etc.

ABC great on Royal Variety Performance.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th December 2016, 8:36 PM

ABC great on Royal Variety Performance.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th December 2016, 8:28 PM

I've got their Lexicon of Love II album although I've still not got around to playing it!

Funnily enough, I've got a copy of their second album, Beauty Stab that I've never listened to. I bought it a couple of years ago when I was picking up vinyl on the cheap. Was waiting till I'd replaced my stylus/bought a new turntable, which I finally did a couple of months ago, so no excuse now not to play it. I wonder if it's any good?

Is Ronnie a Stone or just hired help like Mick Taylor? :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 14th December 2016, 1:06 AM

Funnily enough, I've got a copy of their second album, Beauty Stab that I've never listened to. I bought it a couple of years ago when I was picking up vinyl on the cheap. Was waiting till I'd replaced my stylus/bought a new turntable, which I finally did a couple of months ago, so no excuse now not to play it. I wonder if it's any good?

Beauty Stab is fantastic. More of a guitar rock album. I love it!

Quote: Chappers @ 14th December 2016, 6:53 PM

Beauty Stab is fantastic. More of a guitar rock album. I love it!

That's good to hear. I'll check it out some time over the next few days. :)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 14th December 2016, 10:13 PM

That's good to hear. I'll check it out some time over the next few days. :)

There are some unbelievably terrible lyrics and puns there though.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th December 2016, 11:32 PM

There are some unbelievably terrible lyrics and puns there though.

I don't always pay that much attention to lyrics, but now I'm bound to notice them. :D

At least, hanging around this place, I've probably heard the worst crimes there are in the pun department, and been responsible for quite a few myself. :)

You could say I'm a glutton for punishment.

Happy Birthday, Keith!!