Taboos in sitcom Page 4

I read that John Sullivan floated the idea of a right wing version of Citizen Smith.

This was rejected by the BBC as apparently only making fun of left wing figures was acceptable.

In an earlier time P G Wodehouse had Sir Rhoderick Spode and his brown shirts.

Perhaps they felt that the market was already cornered, with the likes of The New Statesman et al, rather than it being unacceptable per se.

Have there been any paedophiles in sitcom since On The Buses finished?

Yeah, David Brent and the wheelchair guy in I'm With Stupid.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 18 2012, 2:12 PM GMT

Have there been any paedophiles in sitcom since On The Buses finished?

Family Guy has the old man neighbour.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 14 2012, 5:19 PM GMT

I was just talking about sitcoms. There are man-on-man kisses in sitcoms of course (maybe one day I'll show you my compilation tape) but seeing two men kiss in the way that, say, Rachel and Ross did, well I can't think of a single example of that...

Not sitcom but on Smith & Jones Mel memorably gave Griff a full on snog.

Quote: Aaron @ January 18 2012, 2:17 PM GMT

Yeah, David Brent

David Brent was a paedophile? I must have missed that episode.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 18 2012, 2:24 PM GMT

Family Guy has the old man neighbour.

Good point.

There was an episode of Dif'rent Strokes where Arnold was befriended by an apparent paedophile - a bicycle salesman, I think.

As for taboos, how about a harried polygamous Muslim man, Please, Take My Wives?

Quote: Kenneth @ January 19 2012, 2:28 PM GMT

As for taboos, how about a harried polygamous Muslim man, Please, Take My Wives?

I want to watch this immediately!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 19 2012, 3:25 PM GMT

I want to watch this immediately!

Not sure how polygamy ties in with divorce law in the UK, but under shariah law, it's pretty easy and cheap to get a divorce. For a man.

I think this happened on EastEnders recently. They just sat at the kitchen table, and he said some particular words and then they were divorced. Pimpsy.

They had to get papers as well! Masood looked all sad delivering them

Aww, yeah I remember now. Poor Masood. So they had to do it twice.

I seem to recall Webb and Mitchell having a bit of a smooch in Peep Show, and I think a few "taboo" subjects may have been touched upon by them in other eps.

And as far as Jim Davidson goes, have you seen Up The Elephant And Round The Castle? WTF. He should have been banned from our screens forever after that.

Edited by Aaron - capitalisation.

Quote: Kenneth @ January 19 2012, 2:28 PM GMT

There was an episode of Dif'rent Strokes where Arnold was befriended by an apparent paedophile - a bicycle salesman, I think.

Arnold seems to befriend the pedophiles while who ever is with him suffers. Dudley gets the worse of it with the bicycle guy and in a later episode another molester distracts Arnold with model rockets while he preys on Kimberly.