Taboos in sitcom Page 3

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 28 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

In terms of cannibalism, you could argue that it is covered in The League of Gentlemen, if Hilary Briss's "Special Stuff" is human meat.

And of course Life's Too Short cannibalised both The Office and Extras.

thanks for all the help and advice, I will keep writing if only for my sanity, its the onl y thing that stops my "thats funny, write it down or I won't let you go to sleep" insomnia.
and ten years before anything happens? hmmm, I have already cleared a space for my ' best oh my God you can't laugh at that in front of people, its not right or pc but I can't help myself ' bafta.
I don't think any of the scenes are offensive in themselves, only after, when its gone you might think, hold on, that guy just ate a body part. by then its toooooooo late and hopefully it will already have been laughed at.

Quote: Aaron @ December 28 2011, 2:26 PM GMT

On the subject of Davidson specifically, he could write something that makes Fawlty Towers look the runt brother of My Family and there would be significant numbers of people who don't laugh, such is the prejudice against him rather than his material.

Yes, I can't disagree with that, whether that's some sort of just payback for his more unsavoury material and/or the strong way he defends his act, or not, he has definitely become a name destined to sink any project outside panto nowdays, which I personally feel is a big shame, as he has a lot of craft and is a natural performer.

Infact it's already happened, hasn't it, a West End thing he wrote and starred in folded almost immediately a year or two back. Big shame, especially as the review I read was a very enthusiastic one. It certainly appeared, critically, that the thing had merit, but if no one turns up to see you, for whatever reason, then you don't have a show. And it had Kevin Spacey I think in it. Wow!Talk about taking some big stars down with you. I think many have an unreasonable fear of being thought of as dodgy simply for liking or paying to see one of the 'blacklisted' names in the arts. Very sad state of affairs. :(

Having gay or Lesbian characters in sitcom is no longer seen as a taboo I suppose, but I thought the writers of the children's sitcom 'Sadie J' were really quite brave in featuring an outlandishly camp (if not necessarily gay) 13 year old character (Kit). It's a funny show but even a twenty year old like myself was slightly taken aback by the character's apperance in a show aimed at 12-16 year olds!

I would suggest that the taboo has moved away from lesbian/gay characters, and more towards those that do find that kind of thing offensive.
If I really wanted to write something that pushes taboos and makes you gasp, I'd make one of my protagonists homophobic and have people sympathetic towards him/her regardless.

Time to update Alf Garnett? They don't even show repeats for fear of the backlash so it would be a bold production company that invests in that.

Separately, I'm still typing up my first effort, what a task! I can't load Script Smart and am formatting manually, anyone got any suggestions re an alternative, free template or any tips to speed things up?
I thank you :D

You'd be better to ask in the writers' forum, Writers' Discussion, about that Andy.

Quote: andy hardaker @ January 14 2012, 7:44 AM GMT

Time to update Alf Garnett? They don't even show repeats for fear of the backlash so it would be a bold production company that invests in that.

You asked what the current taboos are, not what I thought would make a good, sellable sitcom? I'm not sure I'd laugh at that, but if you're going for the gasp rather than the laugh (aka. Tramadol Nights), then that's the character I think you need to create.

Quote: Burton Sparkler @ January 12 2012, 6:53 PM GMT

Having gay or Lesbian characters in sitcom is no longer seen as a taboo I suppose

Showing them expressing themselves physically still is, though. It'll be a while yet before lingering kisses between two men become the norm on a sitcom.

There's an occasional snog between Sayid and Christian on 'Stenders. It still causes a mini fuss from twunts though.
Is strange that there are fewer gay kisses on sitcoms...
There must be some. *racks brain*

Quote: zooo @ January 14 2012, 5:11 PM GMT

There's an occasional snog between Sayid and Christian on 'Stenders. It still causes a mini fuss from twunts though.

I was just talking about sitcoms. There are man-on-man kisses in sitcoms of course (maybe one day I'll show you my compilation tape) but seeing two men kiss in the way that, say, Rachel and Ross did, well I can't think of a single example of that...

Quote: David Bussell @ January 14 2012, 5:08 PM GMT

Showing them expressing themselves physically still is, though. It'll be a while yet before lingering kisses between two men become the norm on a sitcom.

Are there many lingering hetero kisses on sitcoms?

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2012, 5:21 PM GMT

Are there many lingering hetero kisses on sitcoms?

Typically only when the guy finally gets the girl, but still.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 14 2012, 5:36 PM GMT

Typically only when the guy finally gets the girl, but still.

I'd argue that you're more likely to get lingering kisses in American sitcoms, such as the Ross/Rachel ones you mention, and that America is also going to have far more problems with a homosexual kiss.

I don't think kisses are as common in British shows, which is probably a good thing as our sitcom stars are significantly less attractiv than American ones.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2012, 5:48 PM GMT

I'd argue that you're more likely to get lingering kisses in American sitcoms, such as the Ross/Rachel ones you mention, and that America is also going to have far more problems with a homosexual kiss.

I don't think kisses are as common in British shows, which is probably a good thing as our sitcom stars are significantly less attractiv than American ones.

I think you're correct on all counts.