Taboos in sitcom Page 5

Hmmmm, paedophiles on TV? Right, so you make the show, it's funny, who is going to watch?
Imagine showing up at work on a Friday morning -

Hi Andy, do anything last night?

Yeh, I watched that show about paedophiles, it's ace, I really like it, you should all watch it.

*Andy eats lunch alone. We hear Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" on the radio*

Quote: yowie29 @ February 2 2012, 3:15 PM GMT

I seem to recall Webb and Mitchell having a bit of a smooch in Peep Show, and I think a few "taboo" subjects may have been touched upon by them in other eps.

And as far as Jim Davidson goes, have you seen Up The Elephant And Round The Castle? WTF. He should have been banned from our screens forever after that.

Edited by Aaron - capitalisation.

Yes his pale spindly legs were terrible.

It used to be that sitcoms were a pretty safe bet for minors and for upholding certain values. Not anymore!! Everything goes now and the only way not to be affected by it is not to watch. Why is it that for something to be fun for a great majority of people, it has to be either immoral, in bad taste, violent, or just plain "crass"?

Quote: Kenneth @ January 19 2012, 4:39 PM GMT

Not sure how polygamy ties in with divorce law in the UK, but under shariah law, it's pretty easy and cheap to get a divorce. For a man.

Maybe that's a good case for Shariah Law.

Quote: Kenneth @ January 19 2012, 2:28 PM GMT

There was an episode of Dif'rent Strokes where Arnold was befriended by an apparent paedophile - a bicycle salesman, I think.

As for taboos, how about a harried polygamous Muslim man, Please, Take My Wives?

Yawn, yawn another Muslim stereotype with no basis in reality. I remember an embarrassingly unfunny series called "The Many Wives of Patrick".

Two points:

Kenneth's comment was firmly tongue in cheek.
Patrick Cargill's character was never married to more than one woman at a time, despite the emotional and relationship entanglements, so the comparison is not accurate.

Quote: Aaron @ March 3 2012, 12:32 AM GMT

Two points:

Kenneth's comment was firmly tongue in cheek.
Patrick Cargill's character was never married to more than one woman at a time, despite the emotional and relationship entanglements, so the comparison is not accurate.

Many of his previous wives appeared in the show together. The polygamy and sharia law nonsense is just crude offensive negative stereotyping and lazy comedy. How many people do you know with more than one wife ? I don't know any at all.

I think that that was half of Kenneth's (apparently subtle) point. He was suggesting a ridiculous scenario as a 'taboo', not seriously suggesting a comedy should be made along those lines.

Quote: Aaron @ March 3 2012, 1:06 AM GMT

I think that that was half of Kenneth's (apparently subtle) point. He was suggesting a ridiculous scenario as a 'taboo', not seriously suggesting a comedy should be made along those lines.

There's nothing subtle about his perspective. It's a lazy and offensive stereotype. It would be nice if people tried to see beyond the Daily Mail headlines once in a while.

More generally on taboos there are probably more of them now than there ever were in the past as it is verboten to judge anyone except designated groups like Muslims, gypsies and chavs.

;) Like er 'Sizeism'?

Quote: andy hardaker @ February 13 2012, 9:09 AM GMT

Yeh, I watched that show about paedophiles, it's ace, I really like it, you should all watch it.

*Andy eats lunch alone. We hear Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" on the radio*

:D

Quote: Safdar Shah @ March 3 2012, 1:31 AM GMT

There's nothing subtle about his perspective. It's a lazy and offensive stereotype. It would be nice if people tried to see beyond the Daily Mail headlines once in a while.

More generally on taboos there are probably more of them now than there ever were in the past as it is verboten to judge anyone except designated groups like Muslims, gypsies and chavs.

And Christians seem an easy target too.

Quote: Safdar Shah @ March 3 2012, 1:31 AM GMT

it is verboten to judge anyone except designated groups like Muslims,

That's right Muslims are fair game. Just ask any Danish cartoonist.

Quote: Chappers @ March 3 2012, 9:13 AM GMT

And Christians seem an easy target too.

That's cos they're like Muslims and tell us what's right and what's wrong and that's taboo. We can no longer tell a crossdresser to go home and put on some kecks.

Quote: Safdar Shah @ March 3 2012, 1:41 PM GMT

That's cos they're like Muslims and tell us what's right and what's wrong and that's taboo. We can no longer tell a crossdresser to go home and put on some kecks.

Are you capable of posting on a thread without presenting yourself as deeply unpleasant?