Two Pints - Series 9 Page 5

Oh god, good point. I must know what's wrong with Donna's downstairs!!!

Even if it is in the form of a musical episode.
In fact, preferably if it is. *imagines the songs*

Cancelled! Yay! Party time everyone!!!

Wishful thinking, but with this and Coming of Age terminated, is a wind of change blowing through the BBC?

At this stage, you can't read any more into it than there being a new channel controller trying to put his own mark on the programming line-up. There's no indication as yet that he wants BBC Three's audience or general direction to be any different. Just remember that he was previously the head of ITV2.

I heard some rumours that they were going to axe BBC Three and Four - but can't remember where, sorry.

I hope not!

There are often rumours of the axeing of Three and Four, and they've yet to have more an iota of truth to them. It usually comes from a journo's re-interpretation of a comment that some element of programming policy is under review.

As I understand it, with the way the Trust (or whatever the overseeing body is now called) is set up, it'd be very difficult for them to close the two even if they wanted to.

BBC is overstretched too many channels and not enough high quality programming like 2 pints

And now axed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14273434

You're about 4 days late, Tim! ;)

Quote: Aaron @ July 27 2011, 2:37 PM BST

You're about 4 days late, Tim! ;)

I can be later if that's any help.

Quote: Aaron @ July 25 2011, 3:20 PM BST

There are often rumours of the axeing of Three and Four, and they've yet to have more an iota of truth to them. It usually comes from a journo's re-interpretation of a comment that some element of programming policy is under review.

As I understand it, with the way the Trust (or whatever the overseeing body is now called) is set up, it'd be very difficult for them to close the two even if they wanted to.

See the 6music protests for a starting point.

The BBC is having to save money left right and centre (latest cut is the Formula 1), but I think BBC Three and BBC Four are safe. Don't forget, it's the BBC charter to appeal to all demographics, and it's only through the more 'niche' digital channels they are able to achieve this goal.

The digital channels provide a good testing ground for new shows and formats. For example, The Thick Of It would never have been made without BBC Four to give it a quiet and supported birth... and that's gone on to make BBC Worldwide and BBC Films (through the spin-off In The Loop) millions. The success of Little Britain's merchandise has probably paid for BBC Three multiple times over for a few years, although of course in the accounts the income and expenditure aren't linked... so it looks like the channels are more expensive than they are.

Anyway, Two Pints - I can't pretend I'm not pleased it has ended. The show did do some good things for sitcom (those live specials for example), but the humour really wasn't good enough quite a lot of the times - you could almost hear the 'comedy by numbers' ticking away in the background. One only needs to look to The Inbetweeners to see how 'rude and crude' dialogue and believable relationships can be achieved in a charming and intelligent way.

BBC Three is turning into a more serious and intelligent channel (as its recent fairly hard-hitting documentaries show - no more Oh f**k I'm fat and stuff of that ilk), and it is going a bit more dark with its next set of comedy pilots... so it should be an interesting period.