Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 3

By any objective criteria this is shit, but the sheer energy is winning me over.

Why is it swearing sounds so much less offensive with an Oirish accent?

I've got it on mute whilst I watch the latest episodes of 'The Big Bang Theory' online. Can't be arsed to actually watch and listen to it - it looks bad enough.

It's certainly got a lot of energy, although I'm not sure I'll watch again.

Got some big laughs out of me a couple of times, I'll probably watch again. This news surprises me.

Awful. The 'jokes' felt old and predictable. The entire production seemed cheap to me. 'Oh look he's dressed as a penguin but he's selling Kitkats' Rolling eyes ....give me a break.

A few good jokes, but overall I was underwhelmed and disappointed. It just didn't do enough for me - certainly not as much as I thought and hoped it would. Was slightly thrown right from the off with the overtly studio presentation too. Will see what next week's is like.

So much of this went against my comedy instincts and yet on three or four occasions I found myself laughing like a drain and generally smiling and chuckling throughout nearly all of the remainder.

It was for me that unique thing - something so totally unlike any other sitcom I've seen. The sequence with the tazer and the phone was slapstick genius, brilliantly staged and just had me in stitches even though it was so obvious what was going to happen.

The energy levels were extraordinary (particularly Brendan O'Carroll's) and funny to boot.

It was all a bit mad, a bit manic, extremely broad and *looks up and down to see who's about* blimmin well funny.

Totally confounded all of my expectations. Oh and I liked them all taking a bow at the end. It gave the impression of almost having made a trip to the theatre to watch a show.

Quote: Aaron @ February 21 2011, 6:57 PM GMT

Well, it's not broadcast until 95 minutes until AFTER the watershed, so that's a given...

Precisely!

Obviously the scheduling must have changed since Ian's comments on the first page about how it looked as though it could be a good mainstream pre-watershed comedy, but I could not resist. I should have, I grant you, but could not.

Quote: Michael in London @ February 21 2011, 11:37 PM GMT

Precisely!

Obviously the scheduling must have changed since Ian's comments on the first page about how it looked as though it could be a good mainstream pre-watershed comedy, but I could not resist. I should have, I grant you, but could not.

Ahhhhh, ok. To be fair, he didn't say pre-watershed (unless he's done a cheeky edit). In future, quote, and I'd have laughed along with you! ;) It's more than a month since many of us read that post! :)

Very funny, old-fashioned, non-pc comedy. No doubt there will be the usual groups slating the BBC for showing this but hopefully that will just act as more promotion.

Much like Mrs Brown, the jokes had whiskers on them but I thought O' Carroll's exuberant performance won through and made it very watchable. For every ancient gag that was trotted out there was a piece of physical comedy that sweetened the deal, so by the end of this first episode I was like okay, I get it now, this is just a refreshingly-unpretentious knockabout comedy that I'm not supposed to analyze too much and just enjoy for what it is - a bloke in a dress doing funny stuff. The comedy snobs will be up in arms but feck them, I laughed loads. Looking forward to episode 2.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ February 21 2011, 11:43 PM GMT

Very funny, old-fashioned, non-pc comedy. No doubt there will be the usual groups slating the BBC for showing this but hopefully that will just act as more promotion.

Unless I missed the n*****r and p**i jokes, how exactly is this non-pc?

I thought it had a good script - very funny but far too gimmick-y. Why would they shoot it in real time and play on the fact that it's shot in a studio audience. I don't understand

Quote: blahblah @ February 22 2011, 9:52 AM GMT

Why would they shoot it in real time and play on the fact that it's shot in a studio audience.

Why not?

It's to try and get across that live energy and feel, I suppose.

Haven't watched this yet but looked at some of the online clips expecting to be turning off shortly after clicking on them but actually I was surprised in that they made me laugh.

The humour seems crude, to say the least, and as others have said, a bit old fashioned, but you know what, it was funny, it made me laugh, which is what I want a comedy programme to do.

I'll be checking it out on the iPlayer when I get a chance.