Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 5

From the trailers I thought it would be pretty much puerile, BBC Three-style sex jokes, and for about 75% of the time it was. The joke of an old woman saying "f**k" and talking about sex got old very quickly. I was hoping it would run for about 5mins then end, but it seemed to lag through the whole episode.

Fourth wall jokes seem to be quite key to the show, and while some people see it as clever, personally I see it as quite desperate. As for the pub scene with the bag, my guess is that it was intended. Fair enough it can give a nice connection to the actors and the audience/viewers, but too many of them can be tired.

There didn't really seem to be much of a plot. Whenever the main story (of Dermot's break up) was brought up, it was quickly lost again. Even in the key scene (the home therapy), they were intent on having as little about Dermot and Maria as possible, before distracting to a nearly completely unrelated back-story.

I agree with some people about the energy of Mrs Brown giving it extra plus points though, and there were quite a few funny lines in it. Unfortunately, some of the good lines were ones which I've seen before, not wanting to sound like some statto because I can only put a name to one of them.

"We made love from 2:00am to 2:15, it was the night the clocks went forward."

"It's been so long since I've had sex I've forgotten who's supposed to get tied up." - Joan Rivers.

(Raising bare hand.)
"No, it's Sooty in the nude."

One thing I noticed was that the actors didn't try too hard to cover up their laughing, just like in the pub and home therapy scene.

Also, the girl who plays Maria is cute. :)

I saw this on Tuesday after taping it on Monday. The majority of the show's content was brilliant. Aparently, the woman playing the daughter, Jennifer Gibney, is Brendan O'Carroll's wife in real life.

It wasn't my sort of thing, the jokes were very creaky and I've only watched half way through.
But I did laugh a couple of times so I can see it being one of those Marmitey things like My Name is Klang or Fawlty Towers.

Quote: John M @ February 24 2011, 11:52 PM GMT

I saw this on Tuesday after taping it on Monday. The majority of the show's content was brilliant. Aparently, the woman playing the daughter, Jennifer Gibney, is Brendan O'Carroll's wife in real life.

If you look at its Wiki page, quite a few of the cast seem to be related in some way.

I tried posting the Wiki link but it doesn't work.

Quote: abfc bjk @ February 25 2011, 12:28 AM GMT

I tried posting the Wiki link but it doesn't work.

Wiki

Lovely thing, nepotism.

I tried watching this, but it felt odd. I don't mind swearing, far from it, but there seemed a lot in this, and for no apparent reason. And it all felt a bit forced to me. Also telling us "I'm a man in a dress" during one scene annoyed me too, yes we know, they didn't have to bring more attention to it! Not sure I'll watch again.

Quote: Nil Putters @ February 25 2011, 7:30 AM GMT

Wiki

Lovely thing, nepotism.

I noticed that when doing the credits. I assume they've worked together from the stage show; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is a very odd programme, I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Jokes weren't original, but I found myself laughing at some of them.

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 25 2011, 9:31 AM GMT

This is a very odd programme, I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Maybe it needs time to bed in but....

:) Bag of 'friggin shite' Ma Brown, sure should be ashamed of makin' us Irish seem so simple, 'Too much gob-shite stuff is not clever'.
Indeed, me mam said, 'If you can't say anything clever - don't talk'.

Just finished watching the first episode on tape. I really wouldn't have thought this would appeal to me at all - I loathe slapstick and this was almost pantomime in its obviousness. But after the first few minutes I got into it and laughed... a lot.

All the stuff I'd usually groan at (the penguin mask thing at the end, say) he somehow gets away with. I particularly loved the 'man in a dress line' - I think that's when I got the flavour of it.

Hmmm, finally got round to watching episode 1. Sure this will be enjoyed by people who enjoy this sort of thing, but as Alan Partridge (almost) said...

"Yeah, I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly-tarmaced drives (in this country), men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, Beamish and Mrs Brown's Boys... I think people are saying yes - but there's more to Ireland than this... Good slogan for the tourist board - 'Dairs more to Oirland den dis'."

I thought the first episode was hilarious.

I didn't think the second episode was hilarious.

Seems the keeping the bloopers in is a continuing theme of the show.

I haven't seen the second episode yet but I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I must admit I didn't register any Irish stereotypes in the first episode. Apart from the Irish accents (and the references to paying for the doctor) it just felt like any other matriarchal family set-up - like an OTT version of Bread.