Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/mrs_brown_series2

Fourteen recording dates for the next series? Anyone know what's going on with that?

Only seven on that page as far as I can see?

Dan

They were listing recording dates earlier, which they've now taken down because they're fully booked. There were two recording dates a week for seven weeks.

2 x 7 = 14

Oh, okay. Probably doing the same one twice each time and then taking the most contrived improvisations to stick in later.

Dan

I thought it might be something like that, odd they didn't clarify. Thanks.

Given the theatrical background of the show, it could very well be that they just wanted an audience in for the dress rehearsals. How much of such shows they might attempt to record, is another matter.

Hi from Ireland. This show reminds me way too much of the terrible sitcom that Ricky Gervais' character writes in Extras, 'When The Whistle Blows'. Very similar in many ways. Teary

Just watching this for the first time. Some laugh out loud moments. And loved the way (s)he forgot the handbag and went back to the other set to collect it.

I watched this for the first time too last night.

Whilst I thought it was likeable enough, etc. and will probably tune in again, I do think the copious usage of the F-word in lieu of actual jokes is something of an overused cheat in comedy.

It's also a dangerous precedent in that, I feel anyway, sitcoms which don't use sex and bad language are largely seen as naff. Most of them are of course, which doesn't help.

However, I would love for the BBC Comedy Department to make it a priority to produce a number of completely 'clean' sitcoms which are actually really good. They used to be brilliant at it.

That would be a far greater achievement than 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

I think this comedy is genuinely funny. However, some improv seems rehearsed, and the F word is used too much for comedy effect.
I've always felt that swearing is a short cut for poor writers to get a laugh.
But overall, I do like it, and from me, that is high praise.

I hadn't watched Mrs Brown's Boys till recommended to me by a relative. Although many of the above criticisms are true, I still laughed out loud from start to finish.
Even observational humour involves stereotyping. If a comic says "The staff at Blah-blah record store always do this", he's pointing out a stereotyoe that you hadn't noticed before.
At a stag-do I saw, the audience's favourite comedian was the one who told old, not very blue jokes but every noun in every sentence was preceded by "****ing". Even Eddie Izzard does a hilarious clean routine then says "A guy walked up with a big ****-off beard." I think audiences expect it now otherwise it's not "adult material".
Racism is apparently acceptable if the comic is talking about himself. Chris Rock talks about old black men cowtowing to whites to earn a tip but later ranting how much they hate white people.
So, yes, Mrs Brown uses a conglomeration of old tried and tested formulae. But that's why it makes me laugh. (Except for the pre-arranged "TV Bloopers").

Dene and Charlie say pretty much what I was thinking. A couple of good laughs but the bad language was way over the top. Surely with swearing less is more? Over use just dilutes the impact. Rehearsed or not I thought the handbag gag was funny.

Watching this for the first time at the minute as Friday night television is actually keeping me away from the pub (Coronation Street x2, Outnumbered, Comedy Showcase and Mrs Brown's Boy's). I've got to say this is all very obvious stuff, but it is very funny. Just a really good show if you want a good easy laugh.

Rolling eyes Yes , if you want an easy laugh.

Quote: dellas @ September 11 2011, 4:36 AM BST

Rolling eyes Yes , if you want an easy laugh.

Any laugh is worthwhile.