Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 15

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ September 6 2011, 9:56 AM GMT

I do think the copious usage of the F-word in lieu of actual jokes is something of an overused cheat in comedy.

However, I would love for the BBC Comedy Department to make it a priority to produce a number of completely 'clean' sitcoms which are actually really good. They used to be brilliant at it.

That would be a far greater achievement than 'Mrs Brown's Boys'.

My thoughts exactly. And I'm pretty convinced a LOT of folk out there want the same as us, Dene. This surely equals big viewing figures, no?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

But I was also thinking of We Are Klang and The Mighty Boosh, which the Beeb took on, from the stage, with their 'new' ways of doing things in TV sitcom. (That breaking the fourth wall crap. I hate it! >_< ) That's three shows, Aaron. Whistling nnocently

Three shows that span the best part of a decade and many different commissioners! In any case, whilst I do concede there is a certain similarity in their genesis, both We Are Klang and The Mighty Boosh were more about the performers having proved that they were worthy and that their style of humour had appeal, whereas Mrs. Brown's Boys has taken a ready-formed entity and transferred it pretty much wholesale to the screen.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2011, 1:01 PM GMT

I'm maybe getting a bit too involved in my own little sitcommission project, fearing now, this is the only way to get a new sitcom noticed now by the Beeb. That and that slightly worrying Salford sitcom workshop? thing I know far too little about, obviously. These things have made me think this is how they are looking at new sitcoms now, whether there's any truth in it or not.

The Sitcom Mission is a private enterprise that has independent - not BBC, AFAIK - backing. I don't see it, or the Salford Showcase, as much different to the non-broadcast pilots and read-throughs that have always been crucial parts of the sitcom commissioning process. You've just got a slightly bigger audience and more publicity. Neither scheme is reflective of a large tour or longstanding act in the way Mrs. Brown's Boys and The Mighty Boosh started.

I also happen to know that many sitcoms are in development without going down this route. I'm hoping to attend one of those small old-school read-throughs just next month, in fact. So no, these performances are just another tool in the commissioner's arsenal, it's not how all shows are being developed.

Some of this is funny but I find the constant laughing from the 'actors' during scenes to be pretty pathetic. It ruins it for me. Other than that it's half decent.

That often bugs me too. It's like they're trying that bit too hard to maintain the stage show feel.

Quote: Aaron @ December 30 2011, 1:42 PM GMT

That often bugs me too. It's like they're trying that bit too hard to maintain the stage show feel.

Someone said to me that they try to make it like the stage show. I pointed out that it isn't a stage show when you put it on TV as a sitcom, I just think it's unprofessional, it can be like watching Aunties Bloomers sometimes.

Lol.......loooooooove Mrs. Brown's Boys, best comedy show we have seen since seeing Billy Connolly live in January 2010, he was awesome live.

Mrs. Brown's Boys we have been watching for a while now of course downloaded copies for ages, but now in Australia Channel 7 is broadcasting it, which is all good even though we have seen them all we still watch the episodes and still cannot stop laughing so much it hurts...literally.

My favourite is the waxing bit in the cupboard and the hen party for Maria....classic, and when Agnes Brown gets the condoms from Kathy's bag.....classic.

We love it and thoroughly enjoy this comedic show. Brilliant, both thumbs ups from us all the way from down under (Australia).

Brendan you are a fecking genius. Keep up the fantastic work and shows for us to watch.

:)

My goodness this show seems to split opinion in half doesn't it?

I can't see what the problem is really. Les Dawson did this type of comedy well for 20 years.

I find it alright but my 60+ mum absolutely loves it!!!

With the success of Mrs. Brown's Boys and Miranda I guess today's BBC audience are just after being entertained by a simpler form of comedy and craving these type of sitcoms.

Maybe viewers are just tired with all these so called 'ground breaking', 'intellectual' comedies and those written and performed by people who came through (genaralisation here for comic effect)private schools and Cambridge University???

Of course Miranda Hart is an extremely posh lady but she bases her show and scthick on the very same style that influences Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Music Hall.

Plus the Pythons always spoke of their love and respect of the music hall comedians, Cleese even starred alonside Les Dawson in his sketch show 'Sez Les'.

IMO the popularity of these two shows and to a certain extent Not Going Out is because a huge amount of people are saying the exact same thing.

"Stop trying to be clever and just make me laugh"

And as long as people are finding it funny I don't see a problem