Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 8

I watched all of it so far. Didn't expect to like it at all and, while it's not ground-breaking by any stretch of the imagination, it's very funny. More from the one-liners than the 'obviously funny' set-ups it throws in there.

I'll keep watching cos I have laughed out loud on many occasions during all the episodes.

Dan

I think this is a strange example of a rude warmedy. The comedy is utterly predictable and familiar and I was a little stunned by how old some of the gags were.

The trick seems to be that people enjoy the generally warm naturedness of it, along with its slight cheekiness and predictability.

Which makes it as much fun to me as scrotum tennis.

With whose scrota?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 15 2011, 12:29 PM GMT

With whose scrota?

Dan

I think there's no way it would ever be pleasant

Quote: sootyj @ March 15 2011, 12:25 PM GMT

I think this is a strange example of a rude warmedy. The comedy is utterly predictable and familiar and I was a little stunned by how old some of the gags were.

The trick seems to be that people enjoy the generally warm naturedness of it, along with its slight cheekiness and predictability.

Finally, he starts to get comedy!

:P

Have the people who watched the last episode and didn't like it been watching from the start or just caught one episode? It's not going to become the new Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm anytime soon!

Quote: dennispennis123 @ March 15 2011, 1:11 PM GMT

Have the people who watched the last episode and didn't like it been watching from the start or just caught one episode? It's not going to become the new Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm anytime soon!

I can't get through an episode, I saw the bits you mentioned and I didn't find them that funny, OFAH did the funeral gag with Batman and Robin to good effect, I won't be watching it anymore.

Quote: Aaron @ March 15 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

Finally, he starts to get comedy!

:P

Warmedy Aaron Warmedy.

Like comparing Dita Von Teese to Christopher Biggins in a dress.

This has been commissioned for a second series. Michael Legge's (very entertaining) blog says so: http://michaelleggesblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/brown-waste.html

Conversely, here is a 'Making Of' blog:
(WARNING: explicit and frequent use of bold) http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2011/02/making-mrs-browns-boys.shtml

Dan

Really is a strange show this.

I watched again last night and if some of the tired old tat they blagged their way through had been attempted by others I wouldn't have worn it at any price. But whatever it is and however they do it, this cast and production manage to win me over every week.

If they know what it is then they should bottle it and sell it for a small fortune.

I enjoyed it.

It was an instance where familiarity didn't breed contempt.

Slick and clever doesn't necessarily signify funny.

Just sayin'

Only caught up with this last night. I think it's very funny and laughed the whole way through. It's the funniest sitcom I've seen in a long time.

I have to agree with bushbaby, this is definitely the funniest sitcom in a very long time.

I am just in fits of laughter all the way through.

I have to say that, having watched some more of it, it grew on me very quickly.

Just caught the latest episode (number 5) with the lead-up to the wedding. Brilliant episode: proper old-style sitcom and really funny with it. Fab! Best episode so far.

Dan