Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: dennispennis123 @ February 13 2011, 6:14 PM GMT

I reckon this is going to get a cult following.

(cult following = very poor viewing figures + lukewarm critical reaction)

If US and other foreign dramas/comedies/any TV were that great then those shows would be on 9pm on BBC One AND ITV1 every night - but they aren't for a reason.

Really? They would put them on every night? The reason they don't is because they could never afford this. You also name a few shows that have had relative success in this country. But US shows are shown all over the world. True, they have a lot more investment and they make their fair share of rubbish. But compare their best drama/comedy etc and ours. No contest.

Quote: bob4apples @ February 14 2011, 1:09 AM GMT

Really? They would put them on every night? The reason they don't is because they could never afford this.

That's not the reason.

Quote: bob4apples @ February 14 2011, 1:09 AM GMT

But compare their best drama/comedy etc and ours. No contest.

Subjective.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 4 2011, 6:34 PM GMT

I've just seen the preview clip of this and I was most surprised. I found it be rather funny, which is not the normal case with most mainstream TV sitcoms these days.

Based on a series of stage plays which have been doing the rounds for some time. Must confess I've seen them all and for the most part been laughing long and hard. Will be interesting to see how it translates for TV.

The advert for this looks f**king atrocious, but I'll give it a try and see what it's like.

I'm (almost) willing this not to be as awful as I suspect it's going to be.

Quote: Ben @ February 19 2011, 12:02 AM GMT

The advert for this looks f**king atrocious, but I'll give it a try and see what it's like.

Have to agree, the trailer is God damn awful. As for the programme itself... looks like the kind of thing my grandparents might watch.

There hasn't been anything good on the BBC (comedy or otherwise) in the past few months except "Not Going Out" and "Great British Railway Journeys" with Michael Portillo (which I rather enjoyed, call me sad if you wish!).

Suspect things could get even worse when Anne Robinson's "My Life In Books" starts on BBC Two. I appreciate the diverse variety of television on the BBC but a show which includes Richard Bacon and Trevor McDonald reviewing their favourite books? Come on!

Hey ho, Doctor Who is back on soon.

Just seen the clip with Grandad and the rectal thermometer. The clip lasted roughly a minute and I laughed out loud 3 times. Looking forward to it - hope that clip is indicative of the rest of the show. :)

Having seen the trailers, I am certain it will not be a successful pre-watershed sitcom. Guaranteed.

If US and other foreign dramas/comedies/any TV were that great then those shows would be on 9pm on BBC One AND ITV1 every night - but they aren't for a reason.

Aye, subtitles. Those and because there are people who rather than judge shows on their merits instead blindly look for British shows with British actors and culture. Probably.

The Killing on BBC Four is the best programme currently airing on British TV by far.

Quote: Joey Moose @ February 21 2011, 1:06 AM GMT

"Great British Railway Journeys" with Michael Portillo (which I rather enjoyed, call me sad if you wish!).

*high five*

Quote: Michael in London @ February 21 2011, 6:37 PM GMT

Having seen the trailers, I am certain it will not be a successful pre-watershed sitcom. Guaranteed.

Well, it's not broadcast until 95 minutes until AFTER the watershed, so that's a given...

It's a bit like Miranda, but with a man in a dress in the lead... oh, wait.

Blimey, that was quite something, running past the cameras like that!