Monty Python is dreadful Page 12

Cyril Connolly?!

Going to re-watch my MP DVDs now. All of them. Thank you MrIntelligent Dude (who was definitely not a troll. No no no)

Are you serious? I know we all have different tastes in comedy, but to label all Monty Python work un-funny is simply absurd. I found them hilarious when I was young and still find them funny now when I am an old fart! I am sure the majotity of people feel the same way, so this should be the final post in this thread. This thread is closed. It has ceased to exist. It is an ex-thread.

Quote: slarnder @ June 10 2013, 6:15 PM BST

Are you serious? I know we all have different tastes in comedy, but to label all Monty Python work un-funny is simply absurd. I found them hilarious when I was young and still find them funny now when I am an old fart! I am sure the majotity of people feel the same way, so this should be the final post in this thread. This thread is closed. It has ceased to exist. It is an ex-thread.

The truth.

I have to admit I don't really find much Monty Python stuff funny. One of my old work colleagues loved it though, and would invite people round to his house to watch the films. I had to pretend to laugh out of politeness the few times I went, which was actually quite draining after a while!

I saw a sketch once to do with the Olympics for people with no sense of direction or something similar, which I did find funny. So, I guess if I watched the entire MP output I'd find something else funny. It's just I've no desire so sit through 90% unfunniness (in my opinion) for the 10% I might enjoy.

I also don't like Fawlty Towers, so perhaps there's something wrong with me? :S

Maybe you had to have seen it at the time - or at least soon afterwards when it was still considered innovative.

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I've always thought the Pythons TV output was 90% tiresome and 10% inspired genius. Love The Life of Brian and Holy Grail though.

This is exactly how I feel. OP is a troll, and I LOVE Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Like, could watch it back to back without getting bored for a bit and still LOL at a lot of parts. Even Meaning of Life was fine. But TV show - I just get bored. I really *want* to like it, but I can't. Have no idea why that is.

I don't feel that's because it's dated - as I love Not The Nine O' Clock News, of which you could say the same too.

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I've always thought the Pythons TV output was 90% tiresome and 10% inspired genius. Love The Life of Brian and Holy Grail though.

Couldn't agree more. The show was mostly awful but the films were some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. And just to be controversial, I like The Meaning Of Life best by far.

I prefer the shows to the movies.
Not all of it was great, but for a sketch show it was up there with the very best.

Quote: gon gon @ June 24 2013, 1:19 AM BST

Couldn't agree more. The show was mostly awful but the films were some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen. And just to be controversial, I like The Meaning Of Life best by far.

I've probably said this before but I think you had to be there when it originally started with no preconceptions.

Quote: Chappers @ June 24 2013, 9:00 PM BST

I've probably said this before but I think you had to be there when it originally started with no preconceptions.

Why's that? You mean the movies made the show less enjoyable or something? I don't think that's the case - I'm plain bored. I'm willing to give it another shot though. Would you recommend to start with Season I, or skip to later seasons?

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 25 2013, 12:10 PM BST

Why's that? You mean the movies made the show less enjoyable or something? I don't think that's the case - I'm plain bored. I'm willing to give it another shot though. Would you recommend to start with Season I, or skip to later seasons?

Series - English shows have series.

Quote: Maurice Moss @ June 25 2013, 12:10 PM BST

Why's that? You mean the movies made the show less enjoyable or something?

He's saying that Monty Python's Flying Circus was revolutionary in the sketch show field, and that we younger viewers are dulled to its humour because everything produced in the 40 years since is so heavily influenced by it that we are dulled to the humour and conventions they use (and break), thus nullifying its comedy value.

Also that it's so celebrated these days that we've all seen and know of the punchlines long before we get to see the full sketches.

When I saw Monty Python, aged nine, I was transfixed by the sheer surreal weirdness of that world they created, more than I was amused.

Quote: Aaron @ June 25 2013, 1:23 PM BST

He's saying that Monty Python's Flying Circus was revolutionary in the sketch show field, and that we younger viewers are dulled to its humour because everything produced in the 40 years since is so heavily influenced by it that we are dulled to the humour and conventions they use (and break), thus nullifying its comedy value.

Also that it's so celebrated these days that we've all seen and know of the punchlines long before we get to see the full sketches.

I think that's probably what I meant. And then the films were a lot more disciplined rather than letting sketches tail off without a punchline.

And before that I'd watched Do Not Adjust Your Set as a kid.

(I really must stop starting sentences with "And".)