Monty Python is dreadful Page 11

Quote: Ben @ February 9 2013, 9:53 AM GMT

Good work if you can get it.

That.

and...get a new avatar, Ben!!!

Terry Jones also wrote an excellent book of new 'Fairy Tales' which I devoured as a kid. He said one of the reasons he wrote them was he had a kid and thought existing fairy tales were 'disturbing'. Cool from the guy who played Mr Creosote and the squawky 'Flying Circus' housewives, not disturbing in the least.
Terry used to be my favourite Python, but I don't really have one now, it's the combination of talents that made them special. It's like 'Who's your favourite James Bond', it's always George Lazenby.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ February 19 2013, 1:56 PM GMT

Terry Jones also wrote an excellent book of new 'Fairy Tales' which I devoured as a kid. He said one of the reasons he wrote them was he had a kid and thought existing fairy tales were 'disturbing'. Cool from the guy who played Mr Creosote and the squawky 'Flying Circus' housewives, not disturbing in the least.
Terry used to be my favourite Python, but I don't really have one now, it's the combination of talents that made them special. It's like 'Who's your favourite James Bond', it's always George Lazenby.

Terry and Mike also wrote Bert Fegg's Nasty Book.

It is not dreadful. It was great. I loved the films.

Quote: David Smith @ April 14 2013, 2:56 PM BST

It is not dreadful. It was great. I loved the films.

Well, I think you're in the majority. Only MrIntelligent Dude, Lee, Ben, Kenneth, Turpsiops, Sadsmileyface, ARMS, happychef and 17petera seem to think otherwise...

The Full Monty rules. :)

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 14 2013, 3:58 PM BST

Well, I think you're in the majority. Only MrIntelligent Dude, Lee, Ben, Kenneth, Turpsiops, Sadsmileyface, ARMS, happychef and 17petera seem to think otherwise...

Don't forget MrIntelligent2 Dude.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ April 18 2013, 7:28 PM BST

Don't forget MrIntelligent2 Dude.

Have you ever seen him in the same room with MrIntelligent Dude?

Monty Python was not only groundbreaking, at the time, if you were alive and able to enjoy it, it was hilarious. However the TV shows haven't dated well, and perhaps over familiarity with the material doesn't help. However the Life of Brian is definitely a contender for greatest comedy film ever made. For people who didn't grow up with Python, or indeed The Goons or Beyond The Fringe, will find it hard to understand just how groundbreaking, just how hilarious Python was. It took the piss out of all the stereotypical holy cows of British life and using surrealism turned it on its head. Some sketches, even today, are groundbreaking and shocking, such as the undertaker sketch. To say Python is rubbish is fair enough and a matter of taste, but you cannot deny its place in the pantheon of comedy greats or underestimate its importance in influencing the comedy of today, some of which you obviously love, or you probably wouldn't be posting on this board.

You have to sort out the diamonds from the shite.

I have the Python audio CDs - and they're crammed with fantastically original and witty stuff.

Like Watneys, Eric the bee, the cheese shop, Bruces, nudge nudge, Olympic shopping, the book shop sketch, architect sketch etc etc.

Brilliant stuff that never ever ages.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 23 2013, 10:28 PM BST

You have to sort out the diamonds from the shite.

I have the Python audio CDs - and they're crammed with fantastically original and witty stuff.

Like Watneys, Eric the bee, the cheese shop, Bruces, nudge nudge, Olympic shopping, the book shop sketch, architect sketch etc etc.

Brilliant stuff that never ever ages.

The cheese shop is still one of my all time favourites, I love those Cleese Chapman list sketches, pure genius. Stop that bloody Bouzouki! :)

I don't care how f**king runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.

Laughing out loud

Quote: lofthouse @ April 23 2013, 10:28 PM BST

Like Watneys, Eric the bee,

I think you'll find he was only half a bee.

Quote: Chappers @ April 24 2013, 9:14 PM BST

I think you'll find he was only half a bee.

A wretched Demi-Bee

I loved him carnal-ee