Monty Python is dreadful Page 17

Python was never a favourite show of mine when it was on, which is why I'm posting on this thread.
During the Dead Parrot sketch I actually found myself wondering why I was laughing, something I've never done before or since. I was left thinking of the repetition, and that it could be shortened.
I hadn't bothered to watch any of the films, and only saw Life of Brian because of the stupid religious fuss over it. I actually loved Brian and have now seen it more than any other film, and it's now my all time favourite comedy film.
I then saw Meaning of Life and while I prefer Brian it's better than the others.

Here's my take on Monty Python.

You love it or you hate it. There is no happy medium because it is a different type of humor. Purists know the history, know the movies, and fight amongst themselves over Cleese leaving and things like that. For regular folks, you get it or you don't. It's like the Trekkie thing. Are you a Pythonese or not?

I find that of the people I know, if they were introduced to Benny Hill first they detest Python, and vice versa (and the same rings true for Absolutely Fabulous and Fawlty Towers). I'll admit, I didn't like the show as much, it was okay and if it was on I'd watch for the stop motion animation sequences. However, the movies are friggin genius! The Holy Grail is the business, but The Meaning of Life is my all time fav. Of all the films, that one just tugs at the funny bone the loudest.

British humor isn't transcendental; not everyone gets it, and unfortunately The Benny Hill Show opened up an expectation that British sketch comedy should be more like The Carol Burnett Show instead of its own unique thing.

Another vote for The Meaning of Life - a great film.

Quote: beaky @ 16th February 2017, 6:37 PM

Cleese's sex ed skit...man, man, man, the tears of laughter cried over that one! Oh, and isn't it wonderful to have a penis? GOLD!

I know your comment was a VERY long time ago but what is "pathetic" is you speaking as if you are the world authority on what is funny and what isn't. You typed the most-pompous, self-appraising, drivel and it made me create this account, 13 years later, just to tell you so. For someone with the - unsurprisingly - self appraising username, you fail to grasp the importance of ending or prefacing such statements with "In my opinion".

Quote: MrIntelligent Dude @ 11th December 2010, 3:37 PM

The following is an opinion on perhaps the most overrated show to ever grace British TV...

Here's the thing: I've watched Python when it used to be on all the time on British TV. I even watched the spin-off films too. They just aren't funny. Not one bit.

I watched Life of Brian and Holy Grail and almost fell asleep because they bored me to tears. I've noticed one thing with the Python team: they try too hard to be funny. As a result, the 'comedic' deliveries look forced and unnatural, and, therefore, not humourous at all.

Anyone who claims to enjoy Python, in my opinion, only does so in a pathetic effort to impress their peers. Which is disgraceful.

Is it genial John Cleese who wrote this , I wonder .

I like watching 'And Now For Something Completely Different'. This seems to have most of the more famous sketches.

Quote: Deferenz @ 2nd June 2023, 6:31 PM

I like watching 'And Now For Something Completely Different'. This seems to have most of the more famous sketches.

According to Michael Palin, on a repeat Desert Island Discs recently, it was film that was rushed out consisting of some of the best sketches from the TV series, and it's was "rushed out" because the TV series suddenly started to become very popular and some exec. suggested they make a film, but they didn't have one ready at that time.

I saw this at the cinema in '83 and was just so annoyed it wasn't an actual single narrative film but a string of sketches, a lot of it washed over me, except maybe the sex ed one and the fat bastard in restaurant one. I've never watched it since to see if I'd enjoy it more now.

Quote: Deferenz @ 2nd June 2023, 6:31 PM

And I'm the same, contrary to TMOL I knew this was a sketch compilation before seeing it on the box and being the best ones they'd yet done I really enjoyed it and the repeats.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd June 2023, 12:33 AM

According to Michael Palin, on a repeat Desert Island Discs recently, it was film that was rushed out consisting of some of the best sketches from the TV series, and it's was "rushed out" because the TV series suddenly started to become very popular and some exec. suggested they make a film, but they didn't have one ready at that time.

That explains why I've always thought the 1971 release date was a bit early, considering it lasted another three years. They should have done an ANFSCD 2 film as well, and am surprised they didn't as they were very commercially minded.

Weren't the sketches from "And now for something completely different" re-filmed for the film?

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd June 2023, 8:21 AM

Weren't the sketches from "And now for something completely different" re-filmed for the film?

Yes, but perhaps it wasn't clear from my post

I hate that the opening 'sketch' about the accountants/pirates goes on and on and on and .... And It's not even funny

Looks amazing- not funny at all

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd June 2023, 12:16 PM

I hate that the opening 'sketch' about the accountants/pirates goes on and on and on and .... And It's not even funny

Looks amazing- not funny at all

Oh, I adore The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Great song, bizarre clash of styles, and all-round very entertaining.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd June 2023, 3:50 PM

Oh, I adore The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Great song, bizarre clash of styles, and all-round very entertaining.

Like in the olden days when there would be a support film.