The Trip - Series 1 Page 9

I've been really enjoying this. I admit that it can go on a bit in places, but I think that it's mostly been a great marriage of comedy and tragedy. Makes me laugh and that's what's important, children.

More of the same, but I'm enjoying it so that's fine with me. I particularly liked the exchange with the woman at Dove Cottage (although I'm not convinced she'd have recognised Brydon, let alone known about his Man In A Box impression!).

She was an actress, I've seen her before.

The bit about drugs made me laugh.

Quote: chipolata @ November 15 2010, 10:50 PM GMT

More of the same, but I'm enjoying it so that's fine with me. I particularly liked the exchange with the woman at Dove Cottage (although I'm not convinced she'd have recognised Brydon, let alone known about his Man In A Box impression!).

Isn't that what made it funny?

Quote: Marooned @ November 15 2010, 11:00 PM GMT

No. I liked that Brydon charmed her, I just think they could have done it without it relying on her recognising him. Which didn't quite ring true for me.

I thought it was exellent tonight.
It feels like were getting to the nub of it now.
Coogan trying to do the 'man in the box' to the mirror and that sudden 'flash' of Partridge was hard to watch - and for me that is the strength of this series.
And, by the way, I think the direction is brilliant.
I'm getting fonder of this as the weeks go by.

Quote: chipolata @ November 15 2010, 11:01 PM GMT

No. I liked that Brydon charmed her, I just think they could have done it without it relying on her recognising him. Which didn't quite ring true for me.

Fair enough, but I meant that it was funny because of Steve's reaction to her knowing Rob so specifically (although I assumed she knew about the impression through her son).

Quite simply: best new show of the year. And that is an actual fact.

(Actually that would be Roger & Val Have Just Got In, followed by Rev... but good guess, Don. ;))

Very enjoyable yet again. Less laugh out loud funny but more subtle humour this week.

Quote: Marooned @ November 15 2010, 11:00 PM GMT

I think what was supposed to be funny was her reaction to Rob, in comparison to her reaction to Steve, and the latter's reaction to her recognition, and indignation that she'd failed to recognise him. I think it being actually unbelievable that she would recognise Rob rather goes against the grain of such a programme's ethos. No?

As for this week's episode, there were a couple of flashes of humour again, and Coogan's attempt to copy Brydon's vocal trick at the end was a very nice touch, but ultimately this is a near-tortuously unfunny, tedious programme. It doesn't have any clear reason for existing other than to indulge the stars.

Quote: Aaron @ November 16 2010, 9:56 AM GMT

I think what was supposed to be funny was her reaction to Rob, in comparison to her reaction to Steve, and the latter's reaction to her recognition, and indignation that she'd failed to recognise him. I think it being actually unbelievable that she would recognise Rob rather goes against the grain of such a programme's ethos. No?

Exactly. It felt like a slightly hamfisted way of getting in Rob's Man In A Box impression, which obviously set up the end with Coogan staring in the mirror and trying to do it.

People are being a bit harsh on this. It's a lovely, little vehicle for our heroes to showcase their many skills and impressions. The format is great. Allowing 2 comedy masters to break free from any shackles of exposition - and concentrate purely on the business of being funny.

Would love to see a second series, with companions Steve and Rob visiting restaurants in Spain.

I'm chuckling to myself now, just thinking about the antics they might get up to, dealing with the hot weather and so forth.

Please sir, can we have some more?