The Trip - Series 1 Page 7

The James Bond impressions were hilarious, but what was the track Coogan was flicking his neck to, it sounded familiar, was that a Jean Michel Jarre track?

Quote: chipolata @ November 9 2010, 10:18 AM GMT

Why would Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan go to the doctors and dentist together? I think the road trip is a pretty good hook to hang the show on.

Maybe if Steve was giving Rob a lift, and had to wait for him. Or, another idea, if they had both agreed to go on a lecture tour.

How about if they were appearing together in a money-for-old-rope travelog in which they played versions of themselves?

Sounds perfick!

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 9 2010, 7:18 PM GMT

The James Bond impressions were hilarious, but what was the track Coogan was flicking his neck to, it sounded familiar, was that a Jean Michel Jarre track?

According to the subtitles it was this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Quote: Marooned @ November 9 2010, 8:48 PM GMT

According to the subtitles it was this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Yeah, that's the one. Hot Butter - Pop Corn, Wicked song!. I wonder how Coogan ever found out he could do that. He must get bored easily.

Just watched the first 2 back to back.

Lots of laugh out loud moments although a couple of occasions they seemed to go on a bit too long.

Is their dialogue scripted? I get the impression it's not (although I haven't read all the comments here).

By the way his Popcorn was a bit "off". Usually one would play that on their cheeks. Haven't you Angie?

And was that Joy Division in the first episode?

By the way what a poncey restaurant that was. Why couldn't they have just got bigger plates and put it all together?

Quote: Chappers @ November 9 2010, 11:34 PM GMT

And was that Joy Division in the first episode?

Yes - 'Atmosphere', voted the best song of the millenium by John Peel's listeners.

Only seen the 2nd one so far but it's brought up a few issues for me, once again - The BBC - once you are one of theirs then you can seemingly ask for what you want and get it! I find this thought depressing, and I'd like to see the Monopolies Commission move in and sort that lot out. The concept - self indulgent beyond belief, even by current standards.

Now the show itself, or that one episode I saw - For me the end justifies the means here. I still don't like the closed shop tight little circular way the BBC comedy dept runs itself but on this occasion Coogan and Brydon are delivering. I didn't like the whole episode, it is very self induldent but the entire acting performance/impersonation thing was hilarious I thought, and very well planned and scripted etc.

It helps if you like their style of humour, I think they're both great myself; and it helps if you're roughly of the same generation too, I'd say. Like I say, very self indulgent, as thin an excuse for a sitcom as you'd possibly get, very modern in its diary like format, as far away from the now very distant seeming traditional studio narrative sitcom, although exquistely played by both men and well made, imoo. Morning.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 10 2010, 8:52 AM GMT

I still don't like the closed shop tight little circular way the BBC comedy dept runs itself but on this occasion Coogan and Brydon are delivering. I didn't like the whole episode, it is very self induldent but the entire acting performance/impersonation thing was hilarious I thought, and very well planned and scripted etc.

I don't agree with BBC comedy being a closed shop any more. They have been doing loads of pilots with new talent and there have been a few new shows by new writers too. New talent doesn't always mean better talent, though, so the balance has to be met.

I like The Trip. It's not trying to be a traditional sitcom, it is what it is and is true to it. As a piece of entertainment I like it and genuinely laughed at the banter and impressions.

Nonsense, Nuts, if I want a rant I shall rant, the BBC are the same tight little group they ever were, fawning over their favourites and paying lip service to outsiders. And it's a Wednesday morning too.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 10 2010, 8:52 AM GMT

The BBC - once you are one of theirs then you can seemingly ask for what you want and get it! I I'd like to see the Monopolies Commission move in and sort that lot out. The concept - self indulgent beyond belief, even by current standards.

Coogan and Brydon are delivering. the entire acting performance/impersonation thing was hilarious I thought, and very well planned and scripted etc.

It helps if you like their style of humour, I think they're both great myself exquistely played by both men and well made, imoo. Morning.

I don't know Alfred you seemed to be annoyed to have enjoyed this. You know that a monologue isn't a sitcom right? This is a duologue essentially. And very good it is too.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 10 2010, 9:26 AM GMT

Nonsense, Nuts, if I want a rant I shall rant, the BBC are the same tight little group they ever were, fawning over their favourites and paying lip service to outsiders.

You could say that about any industry. Once you've broken in and had a success people are more willing to back you. And if you're a TV bigshot, who are you going trust with the hundreds of thousands it costs to make a sitcom, a respected film director and two of Britain's finest comedy actors, or Joe Obscure with no track record?

It is another imposter, Marc, it inherits the sitcom mantel just like all the other non-sitcom sitcoms we've recently had. Roger & Val, an actual duologue was sent out as a sitcom so I am sure a far funnier piece such as The Trip is being billed as a sitcom also. Maybe it's time the BBC gave their own definition of what a sitcom is, and considered giving subcategories, as I belive they should, so viewers in general would know whether to tune in into a new show or not.

But at the moment, we are all being asked to watch every new show on the assumption that it is a 'sitcom' and it will thus make us laugh like stcoms once did. My own feeling is that this new 'comedy drama cum reality slice of life chronicle' show with humour is confusing many sitcom lovers and occassionally alienating them. I do think the Beeb have to consider the way their change in style of show making is changing and challenging many viewers' conceptions of comedy show forms. Probably not as clear as I'd like it to be, but those are my thoughts on the rapidly changing sitcom and/or the misclassification of comedy/part comedy shows.

So it's not the show you don't like - it is its classification? And the fact that it got made because much loved comedy geniuses are in it?