The Trip - Series 1 Page 10

I've never really taken to Brydon before, but I'm quite enjoying him here. Overall, The Trip is definitely more enjoyable than Grandma's House, but not as funny as PhoneShop.

*hides*

Quote: chipolata @ November 16 2010, 9:58 AM GMT

Exactly. It felt like a slightly hamfisted way of getting in Rob's Man In A Box impression, which obviously set up the end with Coogan staring in the mirror and trying to do it.

Didn't she say her grandson, or son, was a fan? If so, she may well have seen him and therefore recognise him.

A very good episode.

The irony was that Coogan of the Hollywood films didn't get any favours, whereas Brydon of the silly phone app did. It's about the currency of fame and acclaim. It wouldn't have worked so well if she'd said she was a G&S or Marion & Geoff fan.

The food and scenery looked fantastic again too.

Oooh does he have an app? That makes more sense. OH there it is. I'm looking at it on the app store right now.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 16 2010, 1:40 PM GMT

Oooh does he have an app? That makes more sense. OH there it is. I'm looking at it on the app store right now.

I like Brydon, but not enough to splash out 59p.

Not for something I would use once then instantly forget. FATBOOTH on the other hand...!

I altered my expectations (not lowered exactly, but amended) of this for episode 3 and actually enjoyed it a lot more.

Once I accepted it was going to be mainly a couple of very funny blokes doing impressions over a very posh dinner I was quite happy with it. Not earth-shattering, but fun. And yep - the scenery was fantastic.

I loved the bit when Coogan mentions Al Pacino and goes "Oh God no -" just as Brydon starts "O-kay! SO WHADDAYA GAT?"

I love Brydon's impressions but I'm sure I would be like Coogan if I heard them all the time every day.

Me likey this. Me likey A LOT!

Loved Brydon's Alan Bennett tale

Quote: shaggy292 @ November 17 2010, 9:20 AM GMT

Loved Brydon's Alan Bennett tale

Oh yeah, that was great.
"...fulfilling the promise of cheese gone by." :D

I've never heard so many mixed reactions to this show. I like it but didn't really enjoy episode 3. However, I did enjoy the 'Aha' part. It's a strange one. Not too sure whether we are meant to laugh at or feel utterly bad for a very successful Steve Coogan.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ November 18 2010, 3:33 PM GMT

Not too sure whether we are meant to laugh at or feel utterly bad for a very successful Steve Coogan.

Somewhere in the middle I think. On the one hand Coogan is coming out with some funny lines, but we're also seeing his desperation for recognition (whether it's from the Hollywood elite or an old woman in a shop), vulnerability and inability to escape his past glories.

He claims that he would prefer his life of occasional genius to Brydon's constant "mediocrity", but it's tragic to see him in his moments of solitude to try and emulate Brydon.

Coogan, Brydon and Winterbottom clearly know what they're doing, even though the piece is 'semi-improvised'

Quote: shaggy292 @ November 18 2010, 9:19 PM GMT

Coogan, Brydon and Winterbottom clearly know what they're doing, even though the piece is 'semi-improvised'

They clearly do, but I find it a bit tiresome. Yet more "deconstructing of the medium" done when Coogan analyses the pattern of the conversations the two have during their meals. Yes, yes, it's all very clever, but ultimately it lacks heart. It's an incredibly cold and knowing show.

I could watch the final three episodes, because there is some funny stuff going on here, but the overall concept irritates so much that it negates all the fun bits for me. Think I'll just leave it here. I can completely understand why others might be really enjoying this though.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 18 2010, 9:45 PM GMT

ultimately it lacks heart. It's an incredibly cold and knowing show.

This. Very very much so.